Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Don't have an idea about a tutorial, but I'll offer my 2 cents. :D

Looks like a large frame, a skull and skeleton arms, ribs look like they're maybe paper mache and possibly some tattered burlap or creepy cloth in the background. Probably start with a backing for the frame and attach the skull and ribcage with glue/monstermud/paperclay. Attach the arms and pose, possibly gluing or wiring into place. Add the cloth and voila!

Actual tutorial could vary a little or a whole lot! :D That's just how I'd tackle it. I actually have that same thing pinned on my pinterest page.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Its a great idea Ghouliet see why you want to do you own take on it , and i think you nailed a basic idea for a replicating the prop lizzyborden , like you said the idea could be added to in many ways size style of frame etc , you could even have two skellys climbing out if you wanted a bigger version or add a partial wig to create a creepy woman climbing out , if you do get time to make one can you post some pictures if you get time i would like to see how it came out it when you finished it ?

·
Registered
910 Posts
That is so cool, reminds me of the catacombs in France, skeletal remains coming out of the walls. There are hard foam skeletons you can buy from most Halloween stores that you can "dissect" and just use the upper torso (which would indeed make the project light) then mount him in an old distressed frame with old burlap, paint to age him and voila, skeleton in a frame! That's what I would do anyway......

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The back does not look like burlap to me, I am wondering if I can get a similar texture using great stuff foam. I am going to play around on some cardboard and see what various techniques would look like. I have some broken Walgreen skellies that I am thinking might work for this assuming I can cut the back of the head off neatly.

I was also thinking instead of painting it, I could corpse it, making it look even grosser.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You may be right , but the camo cloth they use on gilley suits may be too course , how about medical guaze or the old medical bandage material might be closer like the stuff they used for setting casts for broken bones ? the burlap or as we know it in the U.K. as hessian does look a bit course ? think you got the right idea experiment see what gives you the look your after , the picture can be used as guide and does not need to be the same , i,m betting if its a mass produced prop it would be something simple for mass production .

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Sort of similar idea , the burlap looked good on that but still was quite course i think her paint job was a bit too dark for me though , it killed the detail a little too much for me but the idea was good and the small tutorial gives you a real good guideline to build from for your own version , please post some pics when you get started .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks like something LaurieBeast would have created. That skull looks like an original sculpt. great idea- looking forward to your step by step on this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Target sells just an upper torso skelly. I think they're $30. They're just like all the other skellies out there this year, minus the pelvis and legs. Or, you could just buy the whole skelly and use the legs elsewhere. If you buy a whole one, I'd get it from Walmart because theirs has the good feet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts