Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been awhile since I've made props, a few years..got busy with the kids coming into this world. Lol. I'm getting back into it, and I use to use minionsweb.com for all my LED lighting. par 18, 36's for example, best of the best bulbs. I just checked back in the site and it doesnt work, doesnt appear to be updated since 2015. sux

Whats the word...and where else can I get bulbs that are like these?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got a bunch of security LED bulbs and colored standard LED bulbs at walmart. Prices are decent as long as you get the store brands.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok but heres the thing, alot of these that are being posted are like wide beam. Can you control the beam? PRob not. At least with the other bulbs I was getting, I was getting 12 led's, 18, 36, etc so you could control the beam better. Unless theres options for that too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Personally, I buy the gemmy spots. Day after halloween for 50% - 90% off.

Pick them up at wally world, home depot, lowes, menards etc. where the full retail is around $15 ( get them for $1.50 - 7.50 each). I avoid spirit because they start them at $30 and go to $15 day after.

After doing this for the last 3-4 years, I now have over a hundred in various colors and effects.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The LED lights above are floodlights and do a great job for area lighting. I've been looking for decent spotlight solutions, too. Here's some of my thoughts on that, so far.

I bought one of these LED PAR lights and it ended up being more like a spotlight, with a tight beam.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3LK24W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
However, I wouldn't recommend this light specifically, as there are no instructions for the pin outs for the different colors or modes. Unless you have DMX, as they can be DMX controlled.

The Gemmy spotlights are pretty decent for spots. They're somewhat on the wide side of a spotlight, but decent overall.

The Precision Z Spotlight (like from Frightprops, http://www.frightprops.com/lighting...h-power-spotlight/precision-z-spot-light.html) look like they would work for most of my spotlight needs, but they are expensive, at $50 each (and I haven't found them cheaper). At this price, I think it's worth trying to build your own.

They also have the "Precision Alpha - Micro Theatrical Pinspot" and "Nano Spot - Mini Spotlights." The Nanos are only $8, but they don't look all that bright (and need a 12VDC power supply).

I've been thinking about trying these:
https://smile.amazon.com/Powstro-Co...=1509471112&sr=8-7&keywords=LED+RGB+spotlight
Although, their beam angle is listed at 60 degrees, making them quite wide for a true spot.

I have several of these types of spots:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BWKTP4O/ref=dp_sp_detail?psc=1
And they're not bad, but not great, either. They'll either work for your need or they won't. I haven't been able to find any that have a memory function, so you need to set the color every time you turn them on. They do have a rather tight beam, but unfortunately, the color isn't uniform, as the LEDs aren't aligned inside. Unless you want one of the RGB colors, you'll find the color shifts on the edges of the light beam.

One of the things I had planned to do, but didn't have time for, was to put one of the LED floodlights into a plastic coffee can, to restrict the beam angle. These LED floods have good color and brightness, and if you could shade the beam, they might make a good spot, albeit on the large side.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats the thing tho. I've looking for the screw in type spotlights for the stakes that I Have that go in the ground. So I prefer it. THats how I bought them before the company is no longer.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thats the thing tho. I've looking for the screw in type spotlights for the stakes that I Have that go in the ground. So I prefer it. THats how I bought them before the company is no longer.
Got mine at Lowes. The colors are brilliant and bright. I also use them in my ground stakes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally, I buy the gemmy spots. Day after halloween for 50% - 90% off.

Pick them up at wally world, home depot, lowes, menards etc. where the full retail is around $15 ( get them for $1.50 - 7.50 each). I avoid spirit because they start them at $30 and go to $15 day after.

After doing this for the last 3-4 years, I now have over a hundred in various colors and effects.
what particular spots do you mean on there website? link?

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
Okay... I'm thinking it's time to reactivate this thread by posting. Lighting is one of the most important part of many of our haunts, so finding new ways to light our displays on the cheap is always important. (Unless you have a budget that doesn't even need to think about such things.)

Now that Halloween is over and the rush to get lights NOW is gone, you might want to try any number of Asian websites that sell merchandise to look for discount lighting options. My favorite is Ali Express. You don't necessarily get finished products, but if you have a bit of know-how, you can get one watt led spots for as low as two bucks (That's like a 15 watt incandescent - good for highlighting a tombstone.) and multiple color 10 watt floods in waterproof set ups for around nine bucks; and they're really quite small and unobtrusive. (A 10 watt LED is between 40 and 60 watts incandescent bulb depending on who you believe.) You wait about a month sometimes to get things, but again, the savings are so dramatic, if you start now, you can have what you need by the time next year rolls around.

I just ordered a bunch of options to see how they work. I'll keep you posted as they come in to let you know how happy I am with the choices I've made. Over the last year, We've created our own flickering spot lights for tombstones and other lighting options by buying our own LEDs and wiring them ourselves. Along with the Gemmy type lights that we get half off at Home Depot we're getting quite a collection of lighting effects.

Our Gemmy lights go on sale at Home Depot five to two days before Halloween. If we wait for the day after, we get very little that seems worth even the half-off price. So the week before Halloween, it pays for us to drop by Home Depot every day. Not so bad if you live only a couple of blocks away as we do, but certainly not an option if you live further away.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It seems Home Depot does not carry or they are out of the Home Accents Holiday 3.5" colored spotlights. They always had the best prices on these. They had a half off sale a while back. I wonder if they will get more. It was always hard to find the purple ones though. The purple lights that Spirit Halloween sells are now more of a UV black light from the reviews. I probably should have bought some from HD when they were on sale.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
It seems Home Depot does not carry or they are out of the Home Accents Holiday 3.5" colored spotlights.
Our Home Depot is very seasonal in any kind of specialty lighting. The lights we tend to buy from them appear only during the October through December holiday crunch. The trick is all in the timing. If your budget can handle it, buy them when they first show up on the shelves for the maximum selection. But, if your budget is more like ours, we wait for the first day of the 50% off sale and swoop in to get what we can before they all head out the door.

It takes watching the stores closely, but for us, it's always been worth it. We haven't purchased a Halloween decoration from any store at full price in over five years. All in all, we have pretty much what we hoped to have in the way of skeletons and lighting special effects. Sometimes it meant we waited two years to get the item the year after it was introduced, but we're a patient lot. After all, pretty much everything we put out on our lawn has been dead for years. :)

·
redrum
990 Posts
Lowes has floods and regular size color bulbs all LED all year round. I posted before about Home Depot and Walmart also have LED bulbs but I like the deeper color of the Lowes LED's.

·
Registered
239 Posts
These are the best in my opinion. They are 12v have stakes can be used for spots or floods from far away and mount anywhere. The only downfall is china shipping (order early) and you have to put your own ends on. I solder mine and heat shrink it. I have lost so many bulbs and stakes to water and never had water problems with these.
lighte.jpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
These are the best in my opinion. They are 12v have stakes can be used for spots or floods from far away and mount anywhere. The only downfall is china shipping (order early) and you have to put your own ends on. I solder mine and heat shrink it. I have lost so many bulbs and stakes to water and never had water problems with these.
View attachment 537905
Any chance of getting a link?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts