Halloween Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,960 Posts
Everybody that came to my door had a costume. Unlike previous years.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
We had loads of princesses and stylized fairy-like things for girls, plus some trends: school dorks w/tape on the eyeglasses, etc. (both boys and girls); a few Super Mario and Yoshi costumes; FUNNY costumes (like the one kid who was a skateboard accident, with all sorts of branches and leaves sticking out from his helmet and a torn shirt, and one kid who went as the janitor at the school b/c the janitor has been there for 25 years and is an icon).

·
Reaper Guardian
2,075 Posts
Noticed that "stereotypical 80s girl" was a trend here (which remindedme just how old I really am). Pirates were down, though there was one rather elaborate little pirate princess. And even had the classic sheet-with-eye-holes ghost!

Several dragon costumes for the really little ones. Best though had to be the (barely walking) elephant.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think Frankie's girl has it right.. costumes were not cheap! The cheap crappy ones were like $25 to $40 for kids.. and I have four kids.. it gets expensive buying costumes! It's possible a lot of people think their kids are too old too, or no money, or not willing to spend that much on a simplistic costume. To me one of the cheapest costumes is regular clothes and face paint. You can get a couple of those scars/knife in head/etc props with the glue gel and make a wicked looking face. No reason to have to buy a robe or mask.

·
Wee bit Wicked
2,144 Posts
Lots of costumes here, actually. More than any other year. We give candy to everyone and never had a problem with the ones that don't wear a costume.
(some kids can't afford, some kids feel embarrassed but still want to go... don't care, it's Halloween and all are welcome at my house).

It could be that the recession has made it a bit more difficult for people to justify spending on a costume, and kids these days lack basic imagination to make a costume themselves. That's my take, anyway.
I agree 100%.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Only had 4 show up with out costumes. One piece of the cheapy candy for them. Sorry you being poor generally makes you more resourceful. Throw some ketchup on your face and call it blood. Heck I would call that a homemade costume that required thought Sooo double candy for them!

·
Registered
59 Posts
We had a good turnout in costume. Buying a costume can be expensive, but being resourceful is cheap!

I got a ton of use out of a skull mask that I got one year as a kid -- I turned everything into an undead something for a number of years after (Football player, Pirate, Secret Agent)... and then got crafty with glue and cotton to make werewolves, etc. You get good candy when you're creative!

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
We had a ton of TOT's and every single one had a costume! even the older ones :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Had fewer ToTers this year, but the costume rate was higher than last year!! I even had an adult woman dressed up as Mario (Nintendo) come up with her son who was dressed as Luigi. =D

21 - 35 of 35 Posts