Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of responses to you get?

I've gotten everything from "It's only June/July." to "How far along are you?" to "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" to "Are you crazy?"

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the same problem. Most people don't understand my love of
Halloween either.

Honestly I can't figure out how they cannot have the same love for Halloween.

Remember, THEY are the crazy ones!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I usually get the standard response.."Halloween??...But it's only JANUARY!!Have you been drinking??"
To which I give my standard answer..." Yes, it is....And yes, I have".
:D

·
Registered
355 Posts
It usually goes like this, the person that I'm talking to usually gives me a face of disbelief and then a very condesending, "You do know it's only (insert month)?". Usually, my answer is, "Yes, but there's only x amount of days left and waiting till October to start building is irrational," >=)

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
neghborhood conversation at the Appleseed Tree House......

Neighbor: So Johnny, whatcha building there?

Johnny: Columns.

Neighbor: Oh, renovating the family room?

Johnny: Nope, they are for exterior use.

Neighbor: Oh, adding onto the porch, but why the weird paint job? They look old and, well, moldy!

Johnny: Good, that's the effect I'm going for. These are for Halloween.

Neighbor: Halloween in April, your kidding right?

Johnny: Nope.

Neighbor: So what are all these rustic boxes, storage crates for the columns?

Johnny: Coffins for the cemetery of course.

Neighbor: I just remembered that my nephew is stopping by, gotta run, take care, bye.

This often repeats several times a month with various neighbors, however there is also the guy that lives two blocks over that decorates for halloween and was the talk of the neighborhood before we moved in. He does the slow drive by whenever the garage door is open and I'm working. Never stops in no matter how many times I've waved him over. Ok, too much talk...back to preparation!

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Love the conversation, Johnny-A!

I do most of my work out in the driveway, so I have neighbors walking by all the time. Now that I'm on the Homeowners Board for our neighborhood, people actually know what I'm doing. I get a lot of support and everyone's very upbeat about it. I get a lot of people that tell me they "can't wait" to see what everything will look like at Halloween.

It's really nice to live in such a supportive neighborhood. I'm never loud or bright, and I'm tucked into a hidden little corner of the cul-de-sac, so I don't think I really bug anyone. That is, until I turn on the fog machines and fill the park behind the house! Last year, fog rolled into the neighborhood at exactly 5pm - it was hysterical.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I learned YEARS ago never to bring the subject up. And people who know me, know me, they are never surprised, but really do want to know, What`s up this year. Wolfman and Halloween. Naturally.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I only bring up the subject around people who know me and the types of things I'm into. I get enough looks (you'd think I was going to eat a baby or use it as a sacrifice from the way some parents act when I walk by:D) and comments (freak, satanist, evil...you name it, I've been called it) from people throughout the year so why invite more of that due to many strangers' idiocy and closed-mindedness?

Back when I worked at Halloween USA quite a few years ago, a customer came in and actually complained about it being all Halloween things and not being able to find any regular tablecloths and plates. What did they expect going into a place with that name?:rolleyes: Talk about a freaking idiot:eek:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My friends KNOW that I'm working on Halloween and they're interested in what I'm doing. The one's who overhear and can't believe I work on it 365, well, I usually invite to the party so they can see for themselves. The one's who think it's weird, who cares?

·
Registered
116 Posts
My neighbors are cool about it. Most people I talk to understand and ask alot of questions about what I am working on for this coming year. There is one person that has marked me as the devil for working on it year round. One of the "elders" in our neighborhood has stood on my lawn telling me how I am going to hell over all of this. Whatever. There is always one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah I usually get a lecture on how my dad is going to kill me if he keeps seeing halloween stuff pop up in the garage and around the house.
So I try to hide it as long as possible, but its hard to resist! I just want to start building!

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
I love reading all the stories. My friends and Family (aside from the ones working on projects with me) think we are absolutely insane because we've been working since February. We honestly thought we started LATE, since we started in January last year and didn't have HALF the projects we have for this year!

The Neighbors think we are stupid, until they walk through the forest (side of the house), and into the Fantasyland that we convert the backyard into... (it's death and halloween, but still fantasy!). Then they are amazed at the amount of detail and creativity we've used.

This is pretty much the only place that I can truly be open and free to speak of halloween every day. Regular world people who get excited at Christmas in July don't even understand. Christmas is all about tradition... Halloween is about creating a Legacy!

·
Registered
670 Posts
neghborhood conversation at the Appleseed Tree House......

Neighbor: So Johnny, whatcha building there?

Johnny: Columns.

Neighbor: Oh, renovating the family room?

Johnny: Nope, they are for exterior use.

Neighbor: Oh, adding onto the porch, but why the weird paint job? They look old and, well, moldy!

Johnny: Good, that's the effect I'm going for. These are for Halloween.

Neighbor: Halloween in April, your kidding right?

Johnny: Nope.

Neighbor: So what are all these rustic boxes, storage crates for the columns?

Johnny: Coffins for the cemetery of course.

Neighbor: I just remembered that my nephew is stopping by, gotta run, take care, bye.

This often repeats several times a month with various neighbors, however there is also the guy that lives two blocks over that decorates for halloween and was the talk of the neighborhood before we moved in. He does the slow drive by whenever the garage door is open and I'm working. Never stops in no matter how many times I've waved him over. Ok, too much talk...back to preparation!

LOL- too funny!

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
I really avoid talking about it with anyone, but friends and family. Friends and family treat me like i'm nuts enough. I don't feel like dealing with the people who think i'm nuts AND don't love me anyway.

That cracked me up!! I feel the same way. My friends and family all know and tolerate me, but it is just great fun to see the looks on the faces of the new people at work or the new neighbors who don't know me as well when I talk about the plans I'm making for Halloween. In June. I'm so grateful I have you guys to talk to year round!!!

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
When I talk about Halloween in June I get the same look from people that I get when they find out that, yes, I'm planning another trip to Disney World. I'm known as both Halloween crazy and Disney crazy.
Eh, I'm used to it...

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
Dude...I try like hell to keep it inside...try so hard. The minute something reminds me of Halloween and I say anything about it someone always looks at me like I'm a lunatic.

BUT my reef club friends are supportive. They're holding the meeting at my house in October because it will be super decorated!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
I get everything from the "Hey, when's the countdown sign going up?" (I was asked on the 4th, wanted me to do 100 days countdown...I only have enough numbers to start at 79...) to the purposely moving to the OTHER side of the street and avoiding eye contact when they walk by.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts