Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always start decorating halloween at the end of sept. But when should i decorate my porch with my pumpkins and orangey things. I was thinkin aug but some people said no what do yall think

·
Registered
725 Posts
As long as it doesn't get in the way of mowing the lawn, I say start whenever you want. Im going to start building out my dummies and other props, stacking them in the garage until late september. Then 39 days away I plan to stick my counter prop out to taunt my neighbors. The rest will probably show up in a week or two.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Pumpkins and "orangey things" are symbolic of autumn, so IMO, September is fine. Actual Halloween decor is a matter of personal taste. We don't put anything "Halloween" outdoors until the first part of October, but the inside stuff can go up in late September.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I always start decorating halloween at the end of sept. But when should i decorate my porch with my pumpkins and orangey things. I was thinkin aug but some people said no what do yall think
You haven't started yet!!! :eek: You're hosed!!

Put your stuff out when you're comfortable with putting it out. To me, before Labor Day is too early, that like turning on Christmas lights before Thanksgiving.

I won't have anything up until October

·
Registered
432 Posts
Depends on your climate. It's a little strange to see autumn decor out when the temperatures are in the 80s and the air conditioner is running. I wait until the average daily high has gotten down to 78 degrees to put out the autumn decorations (Sept. 13 where I live). The specifically Hallowe'en items go out on the first of October.

On the other hand, that isn't practical in Texas. In Houston, you'd have to wait until Oct. 28 before the daily high got down to 78 degrees; in Dallas, Oct. 18.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends on your climate. It's a little strange to see autumn decor out when the temperatures are in the 80s and the air conditioner is running. I wait until the average daily high has gotten down to 78 degrees to put out the autumn decorations (Sept. 13 where I live). The specifically Hallowe'en items go out on the first of October.

On the other hand, that isn't practical in Texas. In Houston, you'd have to wait until Oct. 28 before the daily high got down to 78 degrees; in Dallas, Oct. 18.
uh oh im in trouble it wont get into the 70s here til late oct ;) it was 112 today
thank yallll soooooooooooooo much for the advice

i will just start cleaning all my stuff up and get the yard manicured and stuff that will take some time
thanks again!

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking here in Florida it is sometimes still in the 80's on Christmas
so decorating according to temp would not work here. Although most of the time on halloween when we are all in costume I am wishing I was somewhere cooler.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,077 Posts
I'm in Houston, TX and we've had highs in the 90s on Halloween, so waiting until the weather cools means maybe December if we're lucky (I still laugh at the Houston natives that bundle up in parkas and gloves when it drops into the 60s here - seriously)

I personally don't put up anything outside until about the first week of October. We don't do autumn displays like scarecrows or door wreaths made with autumn leaves, however. I'm talking about the giant skeleton that goes up on the garage peak and the webbing and we change out all of our outside lighting to greens and blues. Main decorations involving the cemetery fencing and cheapy stones go out two weeks before Halloween, and then the main stuff not until the actual day.

Oh, and we stop mowing in mid-September unless we get written up by our neighborhood association. Generally we get grass growing through November because it really doesn't start being Fall until then. We want the graveyard to be unkempt and abandoned looking, so a well-manicured lawn sort of looks silly...:eek:

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
My house is Halloween right now, I have the neighborhood "That Halloween House over there on Roland Avenue", people point and take pictures year round, It's a Cool (sorry I was just playing MarioKart as Mario)

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm going to put some fall stuff out in Sept. Hay bales, corn stalks, uncarved pumpkins and a scarecrow. Then 1st of Oct I'll start with the spooky stuff. Not the REAL good stuff that can be stolen. I'll wait til right before Halloween to do that.

·
Registered
898 Posts
My house is Halloween right now, I have the neighborhood "That Halloween House over there on Roland Avenue", people point and take pictures year round, It's a Cool (sorry I was just playing MarioKart as Mario)
Wristslitter, you are my hero. I usually put decorations up 1st of September, and leave them until December, but I want them up NOW! Maybe it's time my neighborhood got a "Halloween House" too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not the REAL good stuff that can be stolen. I'll wait til right before Halloween to do that.
The only thing I've ever had stolen in the last 27 years was a cheap strobelight.....sad that people do that :(. Last year I had a high school kid stop by and tell me that some kids planned on trashing my yard. Called the police and informed them....they know who I am so stepped up the patrols around my place.

Wife and I setup the first weekend of October....mainly because thats when I'm home....on the weekends.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
AS I had mentioned, last year cause we were in the contest here in the forum, our garage was done & ready to go for halloween in Aug.. It was great to have that all done. Since we get no visitors at our house we are starting early this year because we are having out of town company for halloween.

I pulled a bunch of boxes down yesterday & have started working on some projects in my office. WE are gonna start decorating next week. The garage 1st, then the inside of the house.The amount of work we do in the house with the walls & ceilings & draping of materials & putting up that beef netting takes forever.

Our kids come thru our house & every room is decorated. Every year it seems to get harder to get it all done....( we're getting old!!), so in order to not be hysterical this year I'm just gonna start. Outside stuff will go up the 1st week of October.

Muffy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts