Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When u r setting up ur display (outside and inside), what do u start with first? Lighting, large props, scene setters? It seemed like last year it was chaos. I imagine a lack of direction caused this. Putting things up and then moving them or taking it down. Ideas please? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Outside I always put my Fence and Gateway up first. Inside is pretty random, kind of depends on how it comes out of the boxes. Then I fuss with it endlessly throughout the season.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not much help on this. I start with whatever I pull out of the closets first and just go with what I feel like putting up. The first things I think I start with are wall hanging type decorations, then table top stuff, standing figures, the lights outside, but I do know I always finish with my Halloween Dept. 56 village last since it's in a high traffic area of my house and I never want it to get broken.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
outside is my fence, inside is my scentsy burner. i pulled my fall one out the other day and have had it going. i get too anxious. next though will be my nutcrackers, love those guys!

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,773 Posts
I start with flowers, chocolates and jewelry......why you ask??? My wife dislikes Halloween and the bribe helps me stay out of trouble.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Inside I put up my one shelf of knick knacks, and my kitchen and bathroom stuff. Outside, I always start with my welcome flag, changing it from "fall" to Halloween. Then it's usually some smaller stuff, like tombstones and bigger props that will stay out a while

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Outside I'd do my inflatables that sat in the flower beds. Inside I with whichever tote I pull out and can put up. Scene setters are usually a must to do first because then I can do the bugs, spiders & mice on the walls & fire place with the tacky putty one by one. I usually do them on the walls in the bathrooms, down the hallway, in the living room, diningroom, entry hall, kitchen etc. Like they are just crawling along. :)
IMG_5175.jpg
note the crawlers on the walls. I do this in every room I decorate.

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
For the outiside I usually start with my lights.. (strings, lighted grapevine items, wreath, cornstalks on the porch pillars and leaf garland) This year I really hope to get my cemetery fence built. My outdoor spooky decor won't go up until the beginning of October. Inside I always start with my bat cave in the hallways, spider webs in the corners (unless they already have a real one ;) ) bathroom and kitchen decor and I just keep going from there. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
The last weekend in September, I put my Vlad in the front window with lights.

Then it is a dance with the wife, on what she will put up with, for inside decorations.

Lastly, to keep things from walking away, I put my outside cemetery, reapers and such up two nights before the big day. Alot of work, but much less worry about the weather and thing disappearing.

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
Outside, my fence goes up first followed by tombstones. Over the next few days and weeks, I'll add ground poppers, ghosts, skeletons, etc. and leave the large props for the very last. That way, the large props get less outdoor exposure and last longer, plus people who drive by get to see new things added all month.

I keep inside décor to a minimum, usually just my fireplace, spooky town village, and some kitchen items. As much as I love the holiday, I don't like clutter or excessive decorative items. A little goes a long way for me. I usually do my indoor decorating over the course of a few days.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,679 Posts
We always do outside first. I tend to switch out my garden flag first, since it's easy and quick. Our graveyard fence is usually the next to go up followed by the stones, lights, creatures and other decor in the graveyard/front yard. Backyard is next, though there's not too many things right now that go there. After outdoors is done, I move to decorating the indoors. I put up all the decorations room to room, depending on what box I pull up from the basement first, while my hubby is setting up our big temporary display stand and wiring for the Spooky Town collection (if we put it up that year, anyway). Then after I'm done decorating, we both set up the actual ST display pieces. (Oh, and we always do our Halloween decorating the same day/weekend as the annual local orchard and pumpkin patch fall craft show and pumpkin harvest when we get back home with our pumpkins!!! It's our tradition each year, last weekend of September.)
*The beginning of September, I put out my regular Fall decor...same basic idea, outdoors stuff first, then indoors.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:) Cornstalks first....then skeletons, then spider webs, the fencing, then spiders, then ghosts and graveyard, then pumpkins, then lighting....then I spend the next three weeks perfecting everything......then it's Halloween.....and then I start taking it all down.....(I sense a vicious cycle here....):D

·
Registered
443 Posts
The fence & then inside I get my window lights up of witch/cat/pumpkin/bat/etc. After that tombstones, inflatables, etc. Like others, I keep the more valuable stuff inside until Halloween day/night.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts