Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...make sure they're right side up! just a pet peeve of mine but seems so many folks post pics and they're sideways, etc.. Take a second and rotate them on your computer. Personally, I love to see everyone's pics but tend to skip over them if I have to tilt my head to see them. There, I feel better now. Carry on!

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Unfortunately, it's not that they're posting sideways. Many of mine have posted sideways, even though they're right side up. Moreso with my phone, I'm not having that problem with my laptop posts. I've seen a lot of people edit their posts and say that they don't know why their photos are sideways. Something to do with the site that I can't explain...incompatibility issue.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, it's not that they're posting sideways. Many of mine have posted sideways, even though they're right side up. Moreso with my phone, I'm not having that problem with my laptop posts. I've seen a lot of people edit their posts and say that they don't know why their photos are sideways. Something to do with the site that I can't explain...incompatibility issue.
True. I've seen this before as well. Just seems that there are a lot of really nice pics that are posted sideways. Could be the site I guess.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
It would be cool if folks would upload their photos to Halloweenforum and not attach or link them as a lot of attachments and links are blocked by firewalls....especially pinterest and facebook

also...post a pic of your props...as well as videos as it gives the viewer an idea as to whats on the video. I don't have time to watch a lot of videos, so I skip most of them unless I know there's something in the video I want to see...

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
I suspect it is the cellphone camera/orientation that is causing the issue. Depending on how you hold your phone when you snap the pic, it decides what is up and down... even if it is incorrect. You'd have to manually download the images, flip them to be correct, and then upload them to post.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
My understanding is that there's metadata in the photos that phones understand that computers and websites generally don't that includes information on the orientation of the phone at the time the photo was taken. Your phone will look at that information each time and rotate the photo each time you look at it. It never actually changes the file to be "right side up" permanently. Computers and especially websites don't generally know that metadata exists so they just display them unrotated.

A member here (sorry I can't remember who) suggested just cropping photos slightly on your phone will lock in the orientation. Of course you need to know which ones are gonna come out wrong way 'round to do that.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,840 Posts
I've noticed that a lot lately too, sideways pics. I just assumed it was pics taken from phones & the phones don't "talk" to the site properly.

I generally don't use my phone to take pics I end up posting here, I use an actual camera so I usually edit the photo before I post it.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I thought the sideways pics increased along with all the double postings there have been lately....figured it was a problem with the forum.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm guilty of sideways pictures, and I have tried to rotate them to no availe unless I jump onto my pc. It happens when I use my phone to post. Some people (myself included) now use there phone and tablets for everything. Double posts, sideways pics, typos (I hate auto spell) are caused by phone or tablet postings. I think I have finally figured out how to avoid at least the sideways pics with I phones. You can't take and post in portrait mode. Every time you try it will post sideways. No matter how you go and rotate it, unless you jump on your pc, sideways it will be. If you take your picture in landscape it doesn't seem to happen.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can barely get the chance to use a PC, so when my tablet tells a forum my picture should be sideways, not much I can do. I usually try turning the pics upside down on my tablet, but that's no guarantee either.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I tried to fix my coffin picture three times by rotating it on my computer in editing software and it was taken on a regular camera. They all posted the same way.

Should we put a disclaimer on all the pics sideways so people know we tried and we aren't just being lazy?

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
It would be cool if folks would upload their photos to Halloweenforum and not attach or link them as a lot of attachments and links are blocked by firewalls....especially pinterest and facebook

also...post a pic of your props...as well as videos as it gives the viewer an idea as to whats on the video. I don't have time to watch a lot of videos, so I skip most of them unless I know there's something in the video I want to see...
The sideways pics don't bother me. If on the rare occasion I take a picture with my phone, I just take the mini SD card out of it and pop it into my laptop. Of course my phone is the "not-so-smart" kind.

I do agree with Scatterbrains about posting a pic of your prop as a preview to videos. We have satellite internet and although we get 10 times faster speeds than our neighbors that can actually get DSL, we have data limits. :( I do try and bookmark videos so I can go back and watch during the 5-hour no limit period each night but I'm sure I miss several too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Would it be too big of a deal to put a picture rotate thing on the tool bar? I'm a little computer illiterate so I don't know, just some other forums i'm on have that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts