Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate people who steal my halloween props. Recently my neighbor saw someone who was about to steal something of mine and when she went outside he ran away. And last year someone stoll one of my groundbreakers. My god that makes me so angry.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,880 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened to you. :(

That's why I don't put out major stuff until the day of. I don't want to risk losing anything I worked hard on/spent big bucks on, and sometimes the temptation is just too much for the average jerk on the street.

I've actually never even had a pumpkin smashed, so I'm debating about putting out some stuff a week or so earlier, but I would just be heartbroken if something was taken.

Maybe try some bright floodlights at night, and wire stuff down/together so it's a pain to try to steal? Still sucks that you'd have to do that extra stuff just to keep what is already yours...:mad:

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
If more people and thier neighbors just shot criminals perhaps there would be less of this. Hang them along the roadways like ancient times.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Put up security lights around the display. The motion detector type. We did our displays without any probs. then one year someone stole one of my huge blow mold pumpkins in the back yard and pulled down part of my strand of pumpkin lights from my garage roof. After that I drilled holes in the back of my pumpkins and threaded bike cables through them. I padlock them to the front porch and trees.
Our biggest theft was when a sales person came to our door and commented on our lovely gargoyles in the back yard. It was about July. We didn't think anything of it but, a few days later they disappeared. They were the $120 heavy cement types too with the spread wings! She must of had a big boyfriend because, I could barely lift them.

·
kakos
7,217 Posts
scary I'm so sorry that happened to you and almost happened again. You have a good neighbor there though looking out for you. I would only put major things out the day of.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Until last year, never had a problem. This is despite the fact our haunt is out there virtually the entire month of October.

Last year was the first time someone stole something, coincidentally, a gargoyle. Strangely enough, it was out there the entire month and was only stolen on Halloween night. I noticed it was gone when I started dismantling things the next morning. Admittedly, after noticing the square patch of dead grass, it took a few seconds for me to realize what had happened.

"Why is that square patch of grass dead?", I wondered.

"D'oh!"

The guy on the left of the cemetery entrance had been gargnapped:

I wasn't so pissed as I was disappointed. It's a really good neighbourhood and I haven't had a problem in the many years I've been doing this. Given the weight of the thing, it had to be done by car some time during the wee hours of November 1st, likely by someone who had noticed it earlier in the evening when the crowds were milling about.

The manager at the local Winners/HomeSense, who sees me in the store every few weeks and always asks about the haunt's progress, made a point of taking my number down after I told her about the "incident" and called me as soon as the new gargs showed up a couple of months ago. For every bonehead out there stealing gargoyles you find someone good like her; it's positive karma.

Had to buy a pair because they didn't have one in a colour that matched the one that had been stolen. I negotiated $45 a pop - from $60 - so it was fine. It's still an amazing deal at the regular price as those of you who've seen the gargs at HomeSense know. They're awesome.

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson. I'm still displaying for the entire month (slight delay this year due to a trip) because if I don't, the gargoyle terrorists will have won. But, yesterday, I picked up a bunch of padlocks and a length of chain from RenoDepot. My little friends are going to be tethered to that big tree behind them.

I also keep a well-worn Slugger (tm) by the front door, just in case my timing is good enough to add a new corpse to the cemetery.

JD

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
I told this story on here last year but this topic always makes me re-live it. Five years ago at Christmastime we decorated with these huge lighted deer that were imported from Mexico (cost about $150 apiece) and they were stolen during the night about 2 weeks before Christmas. We ran ads in the paper offering rewards and put up flyers and everything. We never got them back though.

I NEVER put out anything until a couple of days before Halloween 'cause PEOPLE SUCK!!!!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Sorry this happened to you all! It would only take ONE incident for me to never decorate again...at least outside.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Happened to us also the first year (3 yrs ago) that we had this house. Put out some styrofoam tombstones (luckily cheap ones) one evening around 930pm. Next morning at 630am they were gone. Learned a lesson. Like SouthernBelle says people suck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
People don't suck. People are awesome.

I did stupid things as a juvenile, things I'm not proud of. I didn't swipe Halloween decorations, but I may as well have. I wasn't out to hurt folk, I was just immature.

I eventually grew up.

Most of the morons perpetrating this crap will also grow up. They'll feel stoopid for taking my gargoyle, your ghost, and all the rest.

A very small number of them won't grow up or have any regrets. Too bad for them. I don't envy them one second of their lives.

And all of us who eventually grew up will be replaced by another bunch of dumbass juvies who do stoopid things. It's the circle of life.

In the end, what is it we're complaining about? We're starving? We live in fear for our lives? Our children are sick and we can't help them?

No. Someone stole a monster or, in my case, my gargoyle friend.

I still wake up with a hop in my step and a big smile on my face. This is good times and we all know it.

Put a lock on it or a light around it; put some perspective on it, as well.

(You can also keep a Slugger (tm) by the front door.)

JD

·
Registered
189 Posts
People don't suck. People are awesome.

I did stupid things as a juvenile, things I'm not proud of. I didn't swipe Halloween decorations, but I may as well have. I wasn't out to hurt folk, I was just immature.

I eventually grew up.

Most of the morons perpetrating this crap will also grow up. They'll feel stoopid for taking my gargoyle, your ghost, and all the rest.

A very small number of them won't grow up or have any regrets. Too bad for them. I don't envy them one second of their lives.

And all of us who eventually grew up will be replaced by another bunch of dumbass juvies who do stoopid things. It's the circle of life.

In the end, what is it we're complaining about? We're starving? We live in fear for our lives? Our children are sick and we can't help them?

No. Someone stole a monster or, in my case, my gargoyle friend.

I still wake up with a hop in my step and a big smile on my face. This is good times and we all know it.

Put a lock on it or a light around it; put some perspective on it, as well.

(You can also keep a Slugger (tm) by the front door.)

JD

Amen, I don't press charges, and its tough fot hese punks to go to the cops and say "That guy beat me with a bat because I was trashing/stealing his halloween stuff!

·
I'll get you my pretty!
550 Posts
never had it done - but if anything goes from my house this year i will put a sign outside saying "halloween cancelled next year because of thieves/vandals" that way those who's kids or younger siblings are missing out might be inclined to find out who the culprit was.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Amen, I don't press charges, and its tough fot hese punks to go to the cops and say "That guy beat me with a bat because I was trashing/stealing his halloween stuff!
Don't underestimate the power of "dumb". Criminals sue their victims all the time for getting hurt while perpretrating a crime. If they're convicted of the crime, they have a very weak case. If they aren't charged or convicted, it's your word against them that they were involved in a crime on your property. And, who is going to believe a lunatic with a baseball bat who beats people up who are merely going on to someone's property who has an attractive display up for Halloween so they can see it better?

In many states, using a baseball bat is considered "assault with a deadly weapon". If you want to get rid of the perps, with less than deadly force, and make them easy for the cops to identify, you may want to consider a paintball gun instead. Or, an ordinary garden hose. How many people walk around in October soaked from head to toe with water, especially up north?

The best defense is a good offense. I use a fence, big dogs, and motion sensing lights. My stuff is out for the entire month of October. The only time something walked was during daylight hours when the dogs weren't out.

Craig

·
Registered
48 Posts
I run wire around the base of my yard for sound, from prop to prop staked down. So that if someone does( NOT YET, knock on wood)try to take something, I'll at least have the satisfaction that they probably wiped out taking the stuff:]

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have never had anything stolen or broke in the 8 years of doing this, but for some reason this year I really have a fear of stuff being stolen. Well said withiepoo because I already told my hubby if anything goea missing this year, everything will be taken down and put away and a sign will go up saying why!!

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
946 Posts
I have only had one small strobe taken. Even then it made me SO MAD!! But, what are you going to do? It wont keep me from decorating. We are in a new neigbhorhood this year, so we will see what happens! Maybe we will put a "monitored" or some type of sign out so that people think they are being watched.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts