Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopping by to say hello to my forum friends. Hope you are happy, healthy and havin' fun building props for the season. I'm seeing some really spectacular work being posted. I may be quiet lately, but I'm watching you!!!!! I know I've been pretty in and out for the past several months but it's just been one thing after another lately. It looks like we have at least one more hurdle to jump over.

My husband had some medical tests done this week and the outcomes were not good. We find ourselves preparing for a unexpected surgery on Wednesday (our grandson's 3rd birthday). The doctor will be removing a portion of my hubby's colon and doing a resection. It looks like we have been fortunate to catch things in time; the doctor thinks the situation is still pre-cancerous. Anyway, it's been a bit of a rocky road lately.

Just when we needed encouragement a really great e-mail showed up. I thought I would share it with you because it is full of so many good lessons about life. I hope you enjoy these thoughts about life. Some are funny and some hit home. Enjoy and pass it on to others. I've missed interacting with you and can't wait for things to settle down a bit. Hugs, MT

Written by: Regina Brett, 90-year old, of the Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio

"To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is the most requested column I’ve ever written" My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step
3. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick: your friends and parents will. Stay in touch
4. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone
5. Pay off your credit cards every month
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone
8. It's okay to get angry with God. He can take it
9. Save for retirement starting with your first pay check
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry
13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry god never blinks
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger
19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, and wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special
22. Over prepare, and then go with the flow
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple
24. The most important sex organ is the brain
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you
26. Frame every so called disaster with these words " in five years, will this matter?"
27. Always choose life
28. Forgive everyone everything
29. What other people think of you is none of your business
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change
32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
33. Believe in miracles
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do
35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now
36. Growing old beats the alternative- -dying young
37. Your children get only one childhood
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back
41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need
42. The best is yet to come
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, and show up
44. Yield
45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your difficulties, Mme. Turlock. I'll tell you one thing, though, of all of the surgical patients I've seen, the ones that do the best have a good family support system and a positive outlook. So, even when it's hardest, try to find the positive in any given situation. I know it may seem trite, but things become that way because they are true.

In your most trying of days, I pray that whatever higher power you believe in holds you in the palm of their hand.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
MT - best thoughts for your hubby, yourself and the rest of your family. I'm hoping they did indeed catch ANYTHING early - it's a shame your husband has to go through this, but it will all be worth it, right?

Thank you for posting that list for us...I can see why you like it.
There are a few in there I remember all the time, some only some of the time, and a number I have heard and forgotten, but really should remember.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
You know Im still praying for ya girl!! Oh and hubby too of course:)

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery for your husband.
And yeah, we all know that even if you arent here, your eye sees it all :)

Keep the positive attitude and hang tough!

MsM

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your support and best wishes. Did I mention my husband is an only child who was raised by a single mother who was a nurse (not to mention a saint). Boy do I have big shoes to fill when it comes to post-surgery caregiving (giggle). It's a good thing I inherited the courage and tenacity of my Scots-Irish heritage! Ironically, my hubby blew of the routine colonoscopy that was scheduled last year because he didn't want to miss out on the BBQ and birthday cake at our grandson's second birthday party. So now he will be on the operating table on his third birthday. I guess we should all pay attention to that lesson.

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RR Guy....it's been a while since I've said hello. Hope all is well with you and the family. Hello Pod, thank you both for the well wishes. Hugs, MT

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had good news in the pathology report after my hubby's surgery. The tumors in his colon were still pre-cancerous. The doctor removed the right side of his colon, lymph nodes and his appendix and all the pathology reports showed no evidence of cancer. The doctor said we were very lucky because within a year the report would have had a different outcome. Joe will be off work until at least October 1....and his fidgeting is making me crazy (giggle).

As for Halloween decorating this year, I haven't given up. Although I got quite depressed about all the disruption we've had in our life for so long and went on a gianormous Halloween shopping spree. This year I'm focusing on inside decorations because I'm not even going to try to fool myself about what I'm going to get done while Joe is recovering. I bought three new witch dolls, two designed by Jacqueline Kent. She was the designer of the elderly carolers and the candy maker doll I display at Christmas. I bought 3 new skellies that I will be corpsing ( 2-5 ft. and 1-3 ft.), some preserved sheet moss, several ravens, two white owls, 5 creepy bats, a big creepy flying reaper-type guy, some black flickering candles for the mantel, a pair of witches shoes, and a number of other inside decorating accessories that I can't even remember right now (giggle).

I'm making a Halloween tree from a gnarly branch I saved from pruning my Witch Hazel Tree (a great resource) and after Halloween is over I'm going to make a black feather tree for next year and plan to do a tutorial along the way.

I miss spending time with my friends on the forum....and will slowly be returning as I get my impatient patient back to normal. - Hugs MT

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Glad to hear everything went well :)
Actually they should give pain killers to the care givers :D
Can't wait for your black feather tree tutorial!

MsM

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Maleficent, I've missed you! There is just no better therapy than shopping is there? Well, except perhaps for getting your husband out of the house for a while and back to work (giggles)! Take Care - MT

Sooo glad to hear things went well and hubby is on the mend. Sounds like you had a great shopping spree.:D

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[QUOTE
Actually they should give pain killers to the care givers :D
Can't wait for your black feather tree tutorial!

MsM[/QUOTE]

Hi Ms. Meeps....miss you. You know I have notice that I've recently had quite a pain in the a$$. Seems to coincide with my husbands recovery (just kidding of course). I'm not the best caregiver in the world. When I don't feel well I just want to be left alone, my hubby is just the opposite. I suppose that natural and I'm really abnormal. I'm pretty excited about the feather tree project. If it works it should be a pretty cheap option for people who want a Halloween tree but don't want to spend a fortune buying one. Take Care! -MT

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
2,036 Posts
'ello Luv, jus' stumbled upon this thread I did.. Prayers, fer Joe and you I am sendin'.. Glad, an' relieved we oll arrre at th' good news, an' know tha' ya be olways in ourrrr thoughts, luv! No Seattle trips, bu' a couple Vancouvers 'ave I few next month.. Wave I shall, an' dip a wing, as I fly o'er, to an' from there.. ;)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hey Madame Turlock, I sure hope life is treating you better, anytime you ever need an ear feel free to have mine. I also apoligize for being so absent from the forum, I miss everyone here so much it hurts. But, life has pretty much been a landslide of lemons lately. One thing after another. Health issues neverending, everyday life stressors, changes, no time to recover from the B&E and then get Jumped, covered in bruses, cuts, swellings, but goose eges luckly are not fractures on the face or forehead but severe concusion that they say will take possibly a few months to heal, sick with the flu, friends dying on the streets, getting threatened by punk ass pimps, our city turned Raccoon City and of course theres only a hand full of us who care yada yada. Anyways, I really apprecaite what you posted, I needed to read something like that, and I'll be coming back to it as I need to get refilled, thank-you again for posting this, and I will send you and your hubby positive healing energy.

^v^* Blessed Be MT * ^v^

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My prayers are with you and Joe, MT. It's tough when they're sick, "some" revert to little boys in the "watch me, watch me" mode. I'm glad you got some new Halloween goodies, that'll bring your spirit back up. We need you here at HF.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts