Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Halloween, the Sat. before or after? I wanted to have it on Halloween but everyone said they wanted to trick or treat. So we decided on 11/1 but now I am wondering if we should do it on 10/25, everyone could test drive their costumes, etc. Would it be anticlimatic on 11/1 being the holiday was the day before? HELP!?!?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We're doing ours on 11/1. We get about 300+ trick or treaters on Halloween, so that's out. I am also a co-chair for our Lions Club Haunted Hayride, which always runs the two weekends before Halloween. We did the party the Saturday after Halloween last year and still had a great turnout.

Haunt it and they will come... ;)

Eric
________
R5

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,068 Posts
I was supposed to have my party on 10/18, but now am playing with the idea of either canceling or moving it to 11/1.

I take Halloween off anyway, so if we did the party on the first, then I could take the 3rd (that Monday off) as well to recover. (and I am going to need it if we do go ahead!)

It would actually be sort of a good thing for those that don't do costumes... as they could go out the day of the party and hit the Halloween clearances and pick up a costume on the cheap!

(oh, crap. That's going cause a seriously busy day - as I HAVE to hit the stores for clearance shopping... and then rush home and finish setting up the party stuff...hmmm)

·
Registered
490 Posts
We always have our party the Saturday before Halloween but this year we are having it on Nov. 1st. I struggled with the decision, poled my guests and 11/1 won. I am hoping to have everything together and have time to hit the clearance sales in the morning but that remains to be seen.
I know you are dealing with hurricane clean up and if I had a choice between cancelling and having it on the Nov.1 I would go for the party. I bet your guests that look forward to the party all year would think the 1st was a great idea too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am having mine on October 25th. I was debating on the 31st . But we are having an Adult party. I didn't want guest to have to trick or treat and rush kids to babysitters. Plus seeing as Halloween is on a Friday I am sure kids will be out later than usual this year.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm having it on halloween. I'm a teenager, everyone whos coming is one. lol It starts at 8 and lasts until whenever. I've already got a few coming late bc they have to work, but i think it's all gonna work out. I think it'll be going on half the night anyways sooo. yep lol =) And also I live in the country, and hardly ever get trick or treaters, maybe one or two a year, if that. =)

·
Registered
98 Posts
We always place ours on the weekend between halloween and Guy Fawkes night (Nov 5th). We normally combine mandatory costume with fireworks display. Last year we spent over £300 on semi-professional fireworks (gotta love knowing the people with the appropriate licences!), spit-roast a lamb (we've built a fire-pit and spit in the garden), and saw through to sunrise with a bonfire. We tend to follow this theme every year, and it's become something of a legend amongst our friends - many of them are in the habit of booking time off work for it as early as May, because they all know from checking a calendar when we'll be hosting it :)

This years a bit different though, budget won't allow fireworks. Got another lamb though, am sure more people will enjoy a belly full of meat than a 10 minute fireworks display.

Oh, I'm getting excited now! I've been scheduling everything today, and searching for fresh ideas for decoration. Got some cracking ideas off people, I just need a few hours to trial them! :)

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Whenever I have a chance to have the party actually ON Halloween night (whenever it falls on Fri/Sat) I do. So ours is the 31st. We'll all take turns answering the door for TOTers! :D Nerdy, I know, but there is something extra magical about Halloween night...

·
Registered
54 Posts
We usually have ours in the middle of the month (seems like it usually falls on Columbus Day Weekend), there never usually is a conflict with anyone except a few campers who travel for the holiday. This year it will be on the 10th. We moved the party to a Friday night (used to be Sat.) so that we have two days to clean up and recover. Last year we had 59 attendees - if this gets any bigger than we might have to move it to a hall!!!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Ours is on the 25th. I like the idea of having all of the decorations indoors and out up and ready to go, and enjoying the holiday throughout the week. Also, good friends of ours were married on Halloween. and they always have an open house that night, so we go there after the ToTers are finished.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We're having ours on the 31st. We thought about having it on Nov. 1st but the idea of having it the day after Halloween just didn't seem to have the same Halloween feel to us as having it on the actual night.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having mine on the 31st - we all have school that day but the party's not starting til 7.30, I'm doing decor a couple of days beforehand and all the food that'll keep, the night before.

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
We're having ours on Halloween night. I usually have it the weekend before and get a lot of people to go but some in-laws of mine who are coming from abroad booked tickets for the following week. Argh! I was going to have it on November 1 but figured we could go sightseeing. Some people live farther out and are thinking twice about rushing home, getting dressed then driving all the way here. If I can go back in time I would change to November 1 (I suppose that I still can but I already booked an entertainer for Halloween night which is hard to get in their books).

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Typically we have it the last Saturday before Halloween. (this year Oct. 25th)
The reason why is that we build a haunted maze, & it takes 40-50 hrs to build. Another 25 plus hrs to tear down.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ours is Nov. 1. It'll be too hard to coordinate a party on Halloween night with all the TOTs and stuff. Frankie's Girl brought up a good point. How am I going to get to the clearance sales and do the party in the same day?? Hrm. Nothing stops me from shopping, so I will darn well come up with something :) Already thought about making the food ahead of time and freezing it. Maybe I could put my skeleton makeup on early and just go out shopping like that. That'll save time. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
We always have our party 2 Saturdays before Halloween, so we're the 18th this year. That way there's less conflicts with other parties. Plus I like extending the Halloween season. :)

We've only been holding Halloween parties for a couple years (since we bought our house.) This is the third year, but people are getting used to when the party will be and start asking a month or two out.

·
Registered
487 Posts
were doing it 10/25 since we has the same problem people wanted to trick or treat and others would be getting out of work so we figured the sat. before.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts