Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a 5ft hanging skeleton at various places like walgreens, cvs, spirit halloween, party city and they are all like $50. I have seen people on this forum who have bought like 30 skeletons and you guys always have a lot of them in your display, so my question is when is the best time to buy them since they are soooo expensive.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I think it depends a lot on where you live. They don't stock many around me, and if I don't buy early, they'll be gone.
I see that you're in the upper Midwest, so there might be a Menards in your area. Ours has 5' skeletons for around $30. That's not dirt cheap, but it's better than $50.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,130 Posts
I would say that today is a pretty good day to do it with CVS online.

Their Halloween decor is currently 20%. Today only, they are also offering 25% with a coupon code; use 25OFF at checkout. Plus, orders over $40 ship free.

I just purchased several, and the price was $29.99 each after all was said and done.
:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I feel you, Kev. I really wanted a skeleton, but I had to hold off because they were so expensive everywhere that I looked. So, throughout the year I kept my eyes open on Craigslist. In June I found 2 skeletons (1 full size and 1 3ft) for $35. So, my friend, unless you're willing to spend big bucks, my answer is Craigslist and garage sales. Good luck!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Someone posted recently that walmart has the non pose and stays (like the old $30 walgreens version) for $30
My local Walmart have the pose and stay, identical to the ones at spirit, for $30. Spirit is selling them for $50.

Kev730, Honestly, the best time to buy a skeleton is now. Once they go on clearance, they do not last long at all. Keep in mind how much of your skelly is going to be seen. For mostly clothed ones you can get away with the cheeper blowmold style. Same with if it viewed from afar. The more exposed/viewable/close to your viewers, the better quality you want.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
If you are thinking longer term prop inventory and just want cheap skeletons that will be somewhat seen, like icepick mentioned above, you might want to keep your eyes on places like Big Lots for example especially after halloween. Bluckies are not as popular as the Pose-N-Stays which are more realistic, but especially when on clearance they are a pretty good buy for those skellies when you need an extra body around. There are tutorials for making them poseable and corpsing them so they are still a great prop to have. I keep mine more in the background, or because of their light weight, they can be hung on outdoor walls from the gutters and eaves more easily. A year or two ago my Big Lots had a fairly large amount of them leftover and I think I bought 5 of them for something like $7-8 a piece (probably 50% off clearance sale). 5 skeletons for around $40 can add some impact to your haunt while being cost effective. And you don't have to be as devastated if they were to get stolen either. If you can find some decent life-sized plastic skulls, you can replace the Alien blucky ones with different heads at some point.

I also bought a number of the old Walgreens Wallies when they were $30 pre-halloween when they were the best deal out there that season, and each year since have picked up a few of the Pose-N-Stays from Costco for $34.99 to add to my collection. Some Costcos still have some stock of PNS btw. Mine had around 20-25 last week. If no Costco, the current CVS online sale is really a good deal. Get a CVS card first online if you don't have one and I think from what people are saying in the CVS thread you'll get 20% off on top of the 25% online sale discount when you use your card number. With free shipping on top of that, hard to beat. That online sale ends today however or until the skelly sells out.

Saturday, Nov 1, will be Spirit Halloween's clearance sale. Things are 50% off. If you get there first thing and if they have supply available, that's another good opportunity to add to next year's inventory.

Be forewarned. Having skeletons in your closet can get addictive until your closet has no more room for them...and then some people will start burying them under their beds! Skeletons are so universal it's hard not to want a few.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Usual once all the meat has been eaten off....... today at my local RiteAide they started a sale BOGO on most halloween decorations they had one skelly (the pose and stay style) it was the only one so they just did it half off so the price ended up being pretty good at $30.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I just got a pose-n-stay at a WalMart in PA for $30. The local WalMart has already sold out of them. They do tend to sell out. If you want to wait until Spirit has their 50% off after Halloween sale you'll save a few bucks but won't have it to enjoy this season.

BTW, i have 10 full size skellies and a slew of bluckies, but I've been collecting them for 20 years. I think that's the way most haunters accumulate their skeleton army...over time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a 5ft hanging skeleton from spirit halloween today. It's actually a stay & hold skeleton and when you move the bones it clicks. It was originally $49.99 but with a 20% off coupon it was $39.99. On halloweenforum spirit offers a 30% off coupon. Maybe I jumped the gun to early on buying the skeleton but I really wanted it in my display this year. Plus I think I need to buy 1 more for next years halloween so I'll get home on clearance. This might seem odd but I've been doing a display for 6 years now and this is my first skeleton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts