Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well now that I know '09 haunt will continue. Something I always had thought of but was leary to try, "don't mess with those holiday icons" I was told. Then I saw anothe haunt that did just that. They did Santa Claws, the evil easter bunny, and the evil tooth fairy. SO do I do a haunted holiday. Decorate for christmas, with lit up trees and have demented elves, and perhaps Santa Claws at the end of this room??? or would this be bordering on offensive, as one person said. It is a haunted house it already is offensive

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd say if you are itching to try it, go for it. Those holiday icons have been turned "unsavory" in various horror movies somewhere along the line, and I would say that as long as you steer clear of overtly religious figures, I can't imagine you would have any particular complaints.
EDIT: I suppose it should really depend on your audience. My apologies, but I'm too lazy to look around for clues as to whether you yard haunt or do a "no one under --" maze:eek:. If you just have little TOT's visiting, I would say there may be some concerns. But I think that would be a great theme to work with if you deal with a mixed/older crowd. Warped beloved characters make for a fun haunt, as some of my favorite mazes at Knott's Scary Farm's Halloween Haunt include 'Malice in Wunderland' (intentionally misspelled) and various incarnations of a cartoon characters gone-wrong theme.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I say go for it! I have always wanted to do a couple rooms like that, but never ended up doing it. There was a haunt in my area that had "Happy Horrordays" as their theme last year, it was pretty cool!

A place I would suggest masks/costumes would be Bump in the Night Productions. They make a very awesome "Peter Rotten Tail" and a creepy "Santa Claws" mask. Check out their site at BumpInTheNightProductions.com - Bump In The Night Productions Home

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
As long as it a satanic, I would. I decorate my house to the theme of A Nightmare b4 Christmas,my mother who lives nearby, use to tell me, dont do anything that will offend the neighbors, I told her, If Disney does it , it is okay for me to do it.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
It's dancing a fine line, IMHO. I view my haunt as a way to keep goodwill between neighbors and have them see Halloween as a fun time. I have (no lie here) 25 kids in my near vicinity and half of them are 6 years old or younger. So, I avoid gore or anything over-the-top. I want to have fun too and I don't want to worry about upsetting my friends/neighbors.

To the little ones, Christmas and it's icons are loving treasured things. I don't want to mess with that at all. I loved Christmas when I was growing up and I want them to feel the same way.

One year, when I was a new haunter I had a hanging man on a gallows. I was a little worried about that (it was the year when nooses were in the news) but I forged ahead anyway. Well, I found out later I did upset a neighbor of mine and I've regretted that. I should have listened to my little voice.

Now, there is no way to avoid upsetting everyone. It's inevitable. But, I also don't want to steer right towards it..... :p

·
Registered
594 Posts
I hate to be a downer here too, but I have lots of little 4 year old Princesses and Snow Whites toddling up my sidewalk on October 31, and as scared as they are to come up and get candy, I would hate to put something in their minds that they just can't forget... and not in a good way. I personally wouldn't do it.

If it were inside, and adults only were invited, absolutely - go for it. It would be a really cool theme, then.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, this is how the haunt lays out: THey go through our garage which will have up to three "rooms" if you will. The holiday theme could be in there. Then they go to the patio, a worn out grass patch, the swing set, then we make two more shack out of pallets. All in all they will go through about 9 rooms each with their own theme. So you see, it wont be all dedicated to the other holiday one room would be. The garage, possibly or the back yard. So unless they actually go through it, they won't see anything. This year from 5:30-7:00 we will have a matinee where it won't be quite as scary, just because until dark sets in it just isnt very scary. So we may just have christmas lights up during the first 90 minutes and add the charachters after 7:00. I dont know for sure.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
this was one of my favorite display made by hobbyguy of when holidays collide was tastefully done http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/65942-when-holidays-collide-pics-2007-a.html

my plan for 2009 was when halloween celebrates christmas display , but my husband said are the tots ready to see skellies dressed as elves and so one , i never do gory i dont go for that but since i am kid friendly haunt i changed my mind for now to elaborate the idea more . ....but as you see from the link above it can be tastfully done so i am still holding on to my idea .

so my toughts for you is , if you have kids and good neibourgh that have kids maybe think hard before doing that type of display outside for everyone to see ;)

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I'm already considered a little "odd" and somewhat eccentric for what I do at Halloween.

If I started "interfering" with Santa and the Easter Bunny, the neighbours would probably petition to have me put into a nice, snug room with soft walls.

I think Wristslitter's Nightmare b4 Christmas display is great though, and if I thought I could get away with it, I'd probably give it a go.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so......do you all think it is too risky? Or if done in good taste it would be ok? Once again to be devils advocate what is in good taste? I have body parts galore. I have done a doll room,
I have two chainsaws running, many things such as those, so what applies to good taste when it comes to a haunted house? Or is it the holiday icons that are taboo? I do have two small children that would be exposed to this on a everyday basis. I talked to my son he is on board with the idea and said "COO!"

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Revenant had a really good bit on Hauntcast talking about the difference between Terror and Horror. Here is a link to the Hauntcast if you want to hear the whole bit (I highly recommend, it will bring your haunt to the next level) By the way, it's near the middle of the Hauntcast after Mad Props.... http://www.hauntcast.net/get.php?web=hauntcast-2009-01-01-59006.mp3

Here is a quick summary of what Revenant said (my apologies to him if I've gotten some things off)

"I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I'll go for the gross-out. I'm not proud. " — Stephen King
Your haunt is a show, the people there are coming for entertainment. And the show is in their heads...Theatre of the Mind. We are going to try to get into the viewer's head, so we must ask ourself, what is our goal? What kind of show and experience do you want them to have? There are many things to consider and one of the biggest is what is the age of your audience.

OK, FEAR. Fear has many levels starting with questioning and ending in blind panic. First layer is Distrust: "Is this potentially harmful?" Next layer is Apprehension: "I think this is harmful." Next, is Unease: "I know this is harmful." This stage is otherwise known as FEAR. But they are not fearful of the props. It's Halloween, they know that they are not going to get hurt. What they fear is being scared of being scared by the props. That's an important distinction. What they fear is fear itself.

OK, what is the difference between Terror and Horror?

Terror is a degree of fear - Pure Fear.

Horror adds another element to terror...disgust, revulsion, recoil. Hunter S. Thompson said, "Fear and loathing, that's what horror is."

Terror is created with obscurity, it heightens the senses, expands the soul. It is mysterious and mental. Horror freezes and alienates. It is awful apprehension and sickening realization. Think of terror as the smell of death and horror is stumbling over the corpse. Terror is a state of mind and horror is the realization.

You can do both Terror and Horror but it is a delicate balance. Bloody hand prints, body parts etc. can help to unhinge and unease but must be used in moderation and when necessary. This brings us back to the Stephen King quote:
"I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I'll go for the gross-out. I'm not proud. "

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
^^Well said Terra (and King is a master of both!)

...done in good taste...
- I hear what you're saying, but it's very subjective. What's your gut feeling? How do your younger kids react when they see the Easter Bunny flayed and spoked on a rotissiere? If you fear you may be taking away a little of their innocence, then back off the intensity a little, otherwise go for what you think will get the biggest screams.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I was to do this I would love to do a jack frost costume. Has anyone seen a jack frost costume or similar costumes. any other ideas.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
running with this idea. Someone mentioned Jack frost and the winter warlock. How could I do these two costumes?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts