Halloween Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #61
Thank you for your kind words. Honestly tho, I cant stop gardening & fall in N. Virginia is the most beautiful time of the year. The Pomegranates are stunning, the pumpkins are ripe and the leaves are brilliant.

It's not hard to grow corn but first you should find out what grows best in your zone. Btw my favorite zinnia are from Botanical Interest "Cactus Flower Blend". The butterflies and hummingbirds go crazy for them.

I'm thinking about starting a Halloween Garden blog on the forum. Who knows maybe there are more gardeners on here 馃巸
Wow!!! Beautiful pictures of your garden, especially the pomegranates. They look delicious. The pumpkins look amazing as well. Thank you for posting a picture of the Zinnias that you use. I love to use them in my garden to attract butterflies. I did not know that hummingbirds find them attractive as well. Where can I purchase the zinnia seeds for planting next Spring?

Registered
2020 will be my 1st big year. I bought a Spirirt Halloween crane. I'll be making a dock and mount for the crane. Also a skeleton camping scene. And a few other ideas. I'll attempt to do a peeping tombstones and possibly a grave digger skeleton. I do have year to do it
I鈥檇 like to see a picture of the crane you bought.
My spirit location had sold Reaper鈥檚 Wharf to someone already. They bought the ship and the small shops. I鈥檇 love to know where they will store it until next year. Should be an epic yard haunt if they pull it off.
I did manage to rescue one pier or platform from the trash. It is stored away in a shed but boy does it take up a lot of room!

Registered
Wow!!! Beautiful pictures of your garden, especially the pomegranates. They look delicious. The pumpkins look amazing as well. Thank you for posting a picture of the Zinnias that you use. I love to use them in my garden to attract butterflies. I did not know that hummingbirds find them attractive as well. Where can I purchase the zinnia seeds for planting next Spring?
Botanical Seed Interest is my absolute favorite seed company. I always have great results. You can probably buy their seeds at a local store but their online store has so much more.

Registered
Discussion Starter #64
Botanical Seed Interest is my absolute favorite seed company. I always have great results. You can probably buy their seeds at a local store but their online store has so much more.
Thank you. I will check out their on-line store. Appreciate the information. :giggle:

Registered
Thank you. I will check out their on-line store. Appreciate the information. :giggle:
Ok I started a dark garden blog titled: Les Fleurs du mal (Flowers of Evil) I'm going to be posting a ton of pictures with info on how & why I grow them. If there's something you want to grow but don't know how we will find a way.

Registered
Discussion Starter #66
Ok I started a dark garden blog titled: Les Fleurs du mal (Flowers of Evil) I'm going to be posting a ton of pictures with info on how & why I grow them. If there's something you want to grow but don't know how we will find a way.
That's awesome. I look forward to seeing your pictures of plants/flowers and tips on growing them. You will be my "go to" plant expert. Love the title and its meaning, and I will most definitely check it out.

Registered
I realize Halloween has just ended, but I am curious, when do you start planning for next Halloween? Do you start immediately, or do you wait until after Christmas and New Year's?
Soon as I finish putting away the Halloween 2019 gear... which should be soon... I bet.
Yeah, that.

It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
Our Halloween weather was awful......3 inches of snow and windy. Like you, our "After" Halloween weather has been beautiful. I hope next Halloween's weather is better for all of us.
Halloween weather here was also nasty, 2 inches of snow and freezing temps. After Halloween, has been worse. More snow and Sub-freezing temperatures. I've got snow and ice covered skeletons laying in the back yard. Supposed to get near 40 this weekend, so can stand to be out in the garage and pack everything up. 'Normal' temps here should be in the 50s.

As for next years planning, I was started a month ago. as for when I'll actually do any work, we'll see. Getting married next September, so can't take on any big projects.

Registered
I've already started, and my purchases indicate my plans. I have several distinct areas of display: my front lawn, my walkway, my shrub bed, and my front porch which usually is themed differently on either side. I've got enough stuff to rotate props from year to year to keep things fresh. The front lawn will be a haunted pumpkin patch at the request of my daughter, the shrub bed a spider's den per my son, and the walkway lined with tombstones and grave poppers. The front porch will be split between a monster's ball, allowing me to set up many animatronics under cover, and a pirate scene. I'm looking outside the Halloween sources to help build this scene, including the use of concrete cylinder forms to paint for use as a mast, and picking up a ship's wheel prop from a photography supply house. Still fairly new to this forum, but not to decorating. Enjoy hearing about what others are doing!

Registered
Thank you for your kind words. Honestly tho, I cant stop gardening & fall in N. Virginia is the most beautiful time of the year. The Pomegranates are stunning, the pumpkins are ripe and the leaves are brilliant.

It's not hard to grow corn but first you should find out what grows best in your zone. Btw my favorite zinnia are from Botanical Interest "Cactus Flower Blend". The butterflies and hummingbirds go crazy for them.

I'm thinking about starting a Halloween Garden blog on the forum. Who knows maybe there are more gardeners on here 馃巸

Registered
As with most here, started before this Halloween hit. But I have changed ideas due to the weather we had. I can make most of my stuff rain or snow proof but freezing and wind is another matter. I'll have to revisit some things to see what I can come up with. I was astonished that the scarecrow we built stayed up through everything that Mother Nature threw at us so will learn that lesson and move on.

Registered
If you like zinnias, check out Benary's giant. They are gorgeous and huge and have rich color! Johnny's Seed carries them.
Zinnias have an amazing history. They're from Mexico and central America. I read that the Aztecs were growing them in the 1500s but I'm sure they were growing them much earlier then that.

Oh wow!!! I love the colors Benary's Giants!!! Thank you so much for telling me. I'm definitely ordering

Attachments

Registered
I'm starting very soon. Usually I need a little break to get reorganized but I got into Halloween later this year and I'm still feeling the vibe. Facades are my jam and I think next year I want to add to our current display a Friday the 13th facade for the anniversary of the film. Usually a good facade takes me a season and a half, but I have some panels I can recycle and if I get started now I think I can get it accomplished for 2020. Now I just need to get the garage organized to do some panel work :) Ki-ki-ki-Ma-ma-ma!!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #79
Halloween weather here was also nasty, 2 inches of snow and freezing temps. After Halloween, has been worse. More snow and Sub-freezing temperatures. I've got snow and ice covered skeletons laying in the back yard. Supposed to get near 40 this weekend, so can stand to be out in the garage and pack everything up. 'Normal' temps here should be in the 50s.

As for next years planning, I was started a month ago. as for when I'll actually do any work, we'll see. Getting married next September, so can't take on any big projects.
Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for weather temps these days.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts