Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I realize Halloween has just ended, but I am curious, when do you start planning for next Halloween? Do you start immediately, or do you wait until after Christmas and New Year's?
I started making my plans before this Halloween. Things come to me as I am putting out my scene. Immediately after Halloween, while it is still fresh in my mind, I make a list of things we did right and things we need to improve on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I started thinking about ideas for next year while still setting up for this year. I have now decided on one theme I want to add and have started researching ideas to make it happen but won't actually build anything until far into next year
Same here :) I'm always planning for the next year as I'm decorating.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The planning (planting) never really stops.... I've already decided what pumpkins and gourds will be grown. My garden pallet remains the same: Dark orange, vivid red, lion's ear, Purple Mexican Sage Bush. This year I learned to plant fall color coordinating zinnias much later so they are eye popping during Halloween. The one thing I need to figure out is corn: I grew 12ft stalks but the ears were small. I want to grow bigger ears of corn

·
Registered
43 Posts
I realize Halloween has just ended, but I am curious, when do you start planning for next Halloween? Do you start immediately, or do you wait until after Christmas and New Year's?
Depends on what you mean by planning. I am often thinking about how to change things up or what to add all year. If you mean actually testing/building, that is more like after Thanksgiving I would say.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I start the day after Halloween by reviewing what worked well and what didn't. I'm trying to stick with the same theme each year to make things easier to plan and setup, but it's challenging. I think of scares that I like but don't really fit the theme and then I battle with adapting the scare vs. changing my theme. The struggle is real. :p

·
Registered
399 Posts
My planning for next year starts as I am reviewing the yard after I do my current year setup. That way I can look at things and see what I need to upgrade/do differently/add. Actual construction/building is usually December/January so I can work on things during the winter and am not rushing my way through things in September/October.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The planning (planting) never really stops.... I've already decided what pumpkins and gourds will be grown. My garden pallet remains the same: Dark orange, vivid red, lion's ear, Purple Mexican Sage Bush. This year I learned to plant fall color coordinating zinnias much later so they are eye popping during Halloween. The one thing I need to figure out is corn: I grew 12ft stalks but the ears were small. I want to grow bigger ears of corn
The colors in your garden pallet sound amazing. I too love zinnias as they add a wonderful pop of color to the garden, and they are pretty hardy. I have never attempted to grow corn and envy those that do. Great job on your garden.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well this year I have started now for 2020. I just ordered the beef netting for the yard. I have to start designing the large spider for the yard. I want to set it up in a way people can have a place to take pictures. I plan on doing the spider, the beef netting and pumpkins next year and that is all. I figure it will take all of the yard. I have to figure out how to build the spider so it can be disposable and not cost me a huge amount of cash to do it. I am going to start buying parts soon. I am to make it big enough that i can walk under it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The colors in your garden pallet sound amazing. I too love zinnias as they add a wonderful pop of color to the garden, and they are pretty hardy. I have never attempted to grow corn and envy those that do. Great job on your garden.
Thank you for your kind words. Honestly tho, I cant stop gardening & fall in N. Virginia is the most beautiful time of the year. The Pomegranates are stunning, the pumpkins are ripe and the leaves are brilliant.

It's not hard to grow corn but first you should find out what grows best in your zone. Btw my favorite zinnia are from Botanical Interest "Cactus Flower Blend". The butterflies and hummingbirds go crazy for them.

I'm thinking about starting a Halloween Garden blog on the forum. Who knows maybe there are more gardeners on here 🎃

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. Honestly tho, I cant stop gardening & fall in N. Virginia is the most beautiful time of the year. The Pomegranates are stunning, the pumpkins are ripe and the leaves are brilliant.

It's not hard to grow corn but first you should find out what grows best in your zone. Btw my favorite zinnia are from Botanical Interest "Cactus Flower Blend". The butterflies and hummingbirds go crazy for them.

I'm thinking about starting a Halloween Garden blog on the forum. Who knows maybe there are more gardeners on here 🎃
I’d love a Halloween Garden blog on the forum. I’d love to learn to garden period. 🤣💖

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well this year I have started now for 2020. I just ordered the beef netting for the yard. I have to start designing the large spider for the yard. I want to set it up in a way people can have a place to take pictures. I plan on doing the spider, the beef netting and pumpkins next year and that is all. I figure it will take all of the yard. I have to figure out how to build the spider so it can be disposable and not cost me a huge amount of cash to do it. I am going to start buying parts soon. I am to make it big enough that i can walk under it.
I told my wife I wanted to build a giant spider on the roof. I don't think she realizes that I intend to make the body the size of a station wagon. :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I love these posts! It’s so amazing to know when my little brain was thinking about 2020 so many of you were too!

I want to say about a month before Halloween the ideas were starting. It’s just good practice right? If you know what you’re doing, then you know what to be ready to buy the year before. Since Illinois weather was cruel, my display won’t be changing much in the front yard. What happened randomly actually ended up being something I really really liked. But, the idea for the side yard will be a total “go big or go home” experience for sure!

And while it might seem totally insane, I have started to consider 2021. If 2020 goes as planned then I’ll want to move things around again so what will that mean? I already have ideas so we shall see!

Great topic @ScareyCarrie!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I love these posts! It’s so amazing to know when my little brain was thinking about 2020 so many of you were too!

I want to say about a month before Halloween the ideas were starting. It’s just good practice right? If you know what you’re doing, then you know what to be ready to buy the year before. Since Illinois weather was cruel, my display won’t be changing much in the front yard. What happened randomly actually ended up being something I really really liked. But, the idea for the side yard will be a total “go big or go home” experience for sure!

And while it might seem totally insane, I have started to consider 2021. If 2020 goes as planned then I’ll want to move things around again so what will that mean? I already have ideas so we shall see!

Great topic @ScareyCarrie!
I agree about our Illinois weather this past Halloween....Cruel, cruel, cruel. I presume many that were unable to truly celebrate the day due to the weather will attempt it next year. I sure hope we all have better weather next Halloween, which, by the way, falls on a Saturday. Meadow, i love this thread too. Thanks. 🎃

41 - 60 of 79 Posts