Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it something personal or is it when the rest of society catches up?

For me, I tend to realize it around this time when I realize September is coming up and I'll be able to start putting up my fall decorations. And when craft stores have starting sprinkling in their fall items.:D It's a magical feeling!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remember it used to be September for me for years. The month before, I always loved the holiday more than friends and family. There is something in the air you get around Halloween time. It's a mischievous feeling, kind of hard to explain, but it is during the whole build up. It's a playful feeling, but also dark.

Then I remember it moved further back into August. Mainly because that's when Spirit stores began to linger and show their heads. Now though for me, Halloween starts to sink in right after 4th of July. And that is because stores like Michael's and Hobby lobby start to get their Halloween decorations. I visited the stores this week, and they already have the stock. I usually try to make it in these stores at least once a week to check it out and get my Halloween fix.

This picture kind of sums it up for me haha.

Attachments

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I don't know if it's a "sink in" kind of thing, but I start thinking about Halloween when we reach that part of the summer when it's no longer fun. Our yard is looking great, we grill everything we can think of, drink margaritas by the gallon on the patio, but suddenly it's just too damn hot to enjoy any of that. That's when I retreat indoors where the ac is set on 72 degrees and I start to think about Halloween! Having the youtube app on my TV is the best thing ever - there's tons of Halloween content to watch any time you need a fix! :D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
July, definitely July. I guess because it's when the decorations start popping up in stores but I start my plans and thinking of what props I'm going to use this time every year. I just got two new decor items yesterday and actually thought about putting them out. I actually was talking to a friend at work yesterday and said " now that it's Halloween time...." and she stopped and was like "what? what do you mean?" lol I had to stop and realize most people aren't crazy.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,607 Posts
Whenever stuff starts popping up in the brick & mortar stores, which for some is now, but for us it's mostly when Homegoods starts setting up which is generally in the next few weeks, end of July/beginning of August.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It randomly popped in my head today and that's why I'm here. For me I think it's after the 4th of July and I'm wanting fall to hurry up and arrive.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,287 Posts
since i've gotten active here and on pinterest, i start thinking about ideas around this time. however, as far as it really feeling like halloween is approaching, i'd say late august or early september. it's mostly the weather--there's usually a day sometime around then that is a little unseasonably cool, and it's either overcast and dreary, or the sky is clear but the summer haze is gone, and it just feels like fall and halloween are right around the corner.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Similar to Keyblader, I always get a thrill after the 4th of July passes, particularly when the fireworks have ended and the night gets quiet. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's definitely a state of mind :). Especially where I live in Arizona, "fall" for us means temps below 100 degrees, and we don't get the usual leaf changing colors. I would say August for sure, and I start putting out autumn/halloween decorations in September. Even if it doesn't look or feel like that traditional fall feeling, I still like to get into the spirit.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
When it's in the 80's and not the 90's here LOL ! Seriously, it is, at times, so difficult to motivate down here when the temps just don't drop at night like they used to, but I forge onward.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I start to get the Halloween feeling when all the back to school crap dissapears from the stores and Halloween decorations start to appear :) Also when we visit a local pumpkin farm...nothing says Halloween quite like bon fires and haunted hay rides :):) oh and chilly weather!! I cant wait for Fall!!!! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember it used to be September for me for years. The month before, I always loved the holiday more than friends and family. There is something in the air you get around Halloween time. It's a mischievous feeling, kind of hard to explain, but it is during the whole build up. It's a playful feeling, but also dark.
Yeah it's hard to describe, but there's a certain feeling. It's kind of cozy, exciting, nostalgiac, and spooky rolled into one.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
1,998 Posts
When the nights get cooler and the crickets are deafeningly loud....ZR
I haven't even had any crickets in my yard yet this year! I hear them in the park & other places with longer grass, but not at my house! :( Lots of tree frogs, tho.

It's hard to pinpoint an exact moment when the H'ween feeling starts, but it's late June / early July when I start frequenting here more often and I start looking thru my notebook of ideas. I've already been yelled at by my daughter for looking at skeletons at At Home - she has this crazy idea that I have too many already!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with ya'll that say somewhere around mid-July or early August. OF course, when 4th of July is done and over with, then you know that the next official holiday is Labor Day in September, but by that time, the Fall weather is starting to peep it's head out of the ground and Halloween merch is picking up quite a bit, so there ya go! lol

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am at a low Halloween simmer most of the time, but when I start seeing the fall stuff come out I start feeling better. Even though it is about 105 degrees here with the humidity. This year it really started to settle in that the best time of the year is coming up soon when we went to an At Home store and saw skelly dogs, cats, vultures, rats, inflatables, and other assorted Halloween treats.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts