Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, Halloween is a free for all. A time for you to go crazy and bring out everything you'd like to display. But when does it become tacky? My hubby feels that we have way too much stuff and that displaying it all will make our home look bad. I don't really think our house will look tacky with everything, but he thinks otherwise and would like us to scale back.

What do you guys think? Where do you draw the line?

I can say, there is a house just down the street from us that has a pumpkin located in every nook and cranny of their house. They have a least 50 pumpkins, it looks ridiculous. To me, that is tacky. I just don't want other feeling that way about my house.

Thank hubby, now you got me second guessing here...boo

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't know that I'd ever think I had too much Halloween stuff out but then again every year I add more stuff and think it's still not enough. Do they have rehab for people like me?????

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't think scale or number of items have anything to do with being tacky. Tackiness is usually from throwing everything together in a hodge podge without any rhyme or reason and without creating a scene. You mention that your neighbor has at least 50 pumpkins outside and that it looks tacky, but I bet if your neighbor took those same pumpkins and arranged them by height and lined them up along the borders of his/her property or in rows at the front of the house that it would probably look pretty good. If you properly display everything you have and successfully create whatever vibe you're going for, then it doesn't look bad. If you're looking at your setup and second guessing whether you've successfully "set the scene" then you probably have too many items on display or haven't arranged them appropriately yet.

To me this is a yard with a lot going on and it looks amazing:

This is a yard with a lot going on that looks tacky:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Well, I myself, been accused of having too much stuff in my haunt (L), can relate somehow. My mentality, is no, you can never go too much. Why?

BECAUSE THE KIDS LOVES IT.

The faces of kids and parents, amazed, spending almost hours just looking at my haunt, justifies it. I have families, that comes every night, just to see if we added one new props that night. Some kids knows more my own props better than I do sometimes (L). I had one kid, he named every single props we had!

Heck, I know many haunters make fun of my haunt, but like I mentionned, if you ever come to my haunt, you will be like a kid in a candy store.

JM

PS: also, weather plans A HUGE FACTOR how a haunt is set up...

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts
I think what qualifies as tacky lies in the eyes of the beholder. I don't know if I could actually call a Halloween display "tacky" myself as I can appreciate both a distinct theme and a hodgepodge display. Actually the only area my husband and I differ is that he likes cutesy stuff and I'm more into realistic and spooky. I deal with it and usually display the cutesy stuff too.

F

·
0 Posts
I did pass a house today and it was just a random assortment that made no sense. Like 5 blow ups and just random decorations. It kinda made me ehhh

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
"Tacky" is a relative term. Everyone has a different opinion of it. I'm with osenator on this one - if you love it, and the people who come to see it love it, then it's good. My mom hated how my Halloween decorations made the house look when I was a teenager and started decorating without her input... But I liked how it looked, and the TOTs did, too. Was it cheesy and tacky? Probably. But it was fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think scale or number of items have anything to do with being tacky. Tackiness is usually from throwing everything together in a hodge podge without any rhyme or reason and without creating a scene. You mention that your neighbor has at least 50 pumpkins outside and that it looks tacky, but I bet if your neighbor took those same pumpkins and arranged them by height and lined them up along the borders of his/her property or in rows at the front of the house that it would probably look pretty good. If you properly display everything you have and successfully create whatever vibe you're going for, then it doesn't look bad. If you're looking at your setup and second guessing whether you've successfully "set the scene" then you probably have too many items on display or haven't arranged them appropriately yet.

This is how I feel as well.

My neighbors always put up the tackiest Halloween and Christmas displays in their front yard. No rhyme, reason, or theme. It always looks like someone vomited about 15 blow up decorations (everything from Winnie the Pooh to the ghost train), 100 little scarecrows, spider webs on everything, random strings of lights, etc, etc. It's TERRIBLE.

F

·
0 Posts

My neighbors always put up the tackiest Halloween and Christmas displays in their front yard. No rhyme, reason, or theme. It always looks like someone vomited about 15 blow up decorations (everything from Winnie the Pooh to the ghost train), 100 little scarecrows, spider webs on everything, random strings of lights, etc, etc. It's TERRIBLE.
Yes, I agree! I really hate seeing 50 random blowups. I have one. ..its small and on my porch.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,689 Posts
If this thread was more along the lines of describing what you don't like to use in your own display, then that's fine, but please don't post images of other people's displays solely to poke fun or tear them down. That's not in the spirit of the forum and definitely dangerous in hurting someone that might happen to be a member on here.

I'm not sure that calling someone else's display "tacky" is quite a nice road to go down. We all love to decorate and as others have already mentioned, tacky is a subjective term - what one person loves another might hate. As long as you're happy with YOUR display, try not to worry too much over what other people do or do not do.

There's plenty of room for all types of displays out there and no need to bash or name-call.

Ultimately the thing that matters most is how much fun you have decorating your own space, and how much the kids enjoy experiencing it.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
How can any Halloween decorating be considered tacky when the holiday's iconic colors involve orange and purple?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts

About three years ago "Christmas Vomit" became a recognized decorating style.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like my display. I guess I'm just letting my hubby get to me. He loves Halloween. I guess just not as much as i do. He prefers Fall decor over the Halloween stuff. I will get him to love it as much as i do... some day.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
Well, I don't judge, especially at Halloween or Christmas. I just love anyone that tries at all. So many people just don't bother...or hang a simple wreath or skeleton on their doors. When it comes to decorating, I am like, "Bring It!" I love spirited decorating and what looks beautiful to me, may look tacky to others.... Luckily what other people think of my decorations never really registers with me. As long it pleases me and I think it looks good....I am happy.:D
Go ahead....tear my decorations to pieces....:p

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
DSC01095.jpg
DSC01172.jpg
DSC01226.jpg
DSC01261.jpg
DSC01262.jpg
DSC01279.jpg
ALWAYS Go big or don't bother, my reasonsing in life.

I called my own haunt many times "Where the Spirit of Halloween vomited everywhere"!

And I do reffer myself and quote "CLARK GRISWALL" a lot, as my wife does too (L)...

Just yesterday, 3 kids ran up to me as I arrived home, asking when we are starting to decorate. Even a few neighbors also stopped as we came home Sunday,asking when we are starting. I think I have the entire neighborhood on the edge (L).

1 - 20 of 101 Posts