Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does a hobby become an addiction? I don't know but it's the topic of Dr. Phil's program this Wednesday so I thought I would toss this information out in case you are concerned about crossing over the line. It's seems those of us who are still posting and reading the "Halloween" Forum at Christmas time may be at risk (giggle). Personally, I'm not worried about myself. I only asked Santa for a few hobby supplies, some wire, PVC and sculpting books for Christmas. That sounds reasonable doesn't it? (big grin and a wink)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Is it this coming Wednesday? I'll have to see what time this is on. Very interesting topic. I think a hobby becomes an addiction when things really take a downturn. For example...I'll use myself.....there's a Dorothy doll I want from 1939 and in good condition she'd be worth around $2,000. I've been out of work 6 years and so far no job in site, but let's say I'm prowling Craigslist and I see the doll on there and obviously the seller doesn't know what he says as he's asking $500. Quite the bargain for something I've wanted for oh, 20 years and that's a bit rare. My hobby would turn into an addiction the moment I say screw the rent, and we don't need to eat this week and I withdraw all the money we have in the bank and spend it on this doll. And this is where using myself for an example ends because I've dipped into a little bill money once in awhile but I've never left things unpaid or done anything illegal or hurtful to anyone else. I'd say if you did something neglectful or harmful to yourself such as not paying your bills or something harmful to others like stealing money from you mother in laws wallet to buy something you think you need. Or just outright stealing what you think you need. Or borrowing money and lying about what it's for to get what you want. When someone starts in engaging in unsavory behavior for a hobby which is supposed to be fun, it's just time to quit.

·
SuperBeast
1,641 Posts
It's seems those of us who are still posting and reading the "Halloween" Forum at Christmas time may be at risk (giggle).

I think that it's all about the friendships, MT. If the name of the forum were ArborDayForum.com, we would still come every day just to "hand out with da' homeys".

(GREAT, now I'm gonna' have Dione Warwick and Stevie Wonder stuck in my head all week):p

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I agree with Succub'Oz points but would also like to add to that. If it no longer brings you sustainable pleasure or creates more pain than pleasure then it's time to realign yourself with something that does, or a least make adjustments

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Interesting that you should bring up this topic.
We have a tv show here in Holland called, "Help! My husband has a hobby"
I know, a bit sexist but that's holland lol
Anyway, wives can submit their hobby obsessed husbands to the show. The show's focus is not so much on addiction in terms of what Oz said, stealing for your next fix type of thing. But more the emotion aspect of a hobby on your loved ones.
So the question one needs to ask oneself is, how does my hobby effect my loved ones.
Is the following quote from Madame true?

It's seems those of us who are still posting and reading the "Halloween" Forum at Christmas time may be at risk (giggle).
Not if you use proper time management, exaggerations and multitasking :)

Examples:
1. Set the alarm a half hour earlier so you are up before the rest of the family. Get your halloween forum fix and then a half hour later when the family DOES wake up, you'll be relaxed, and calm with a big smile on your face from all those comments made by witty forum members.
2. Using chat to do household chores: Chat with someone who types slow or uses a lot of BRB's. During the long pauses, dust, sweep, make grocery lists, wash clothes, etc.
3. Be assertive: Convince loved ones that your visits to the forum are absolutely necessary for THEM. Explain to the kids that you only have THEIR best interests at heart while searching the forum because after all they need to have the latest and best costume for next year and that's not something that can be achieved over night. No, that needs months and months of preparation and careful consideration. Same thing goes for hubby/wife....you need months and months to be able to come up with prop ideas that will turn the neighbors green with envy and make your house top!
4. If the above mentions suggestions don't help, get a laptop with a cordless internet connection. You can sneak all over the house with those things without the family noticing a thing :)

MsMeeple

·
Registered
13,898 Posts
When does it cross the line? I would say when you hide new purchases, lie about how much stuff costs, and find that everything you do revolves around the activity in some fashion to the exclusion of doing other stuff with people outside of the interest.

Self check--nope not there yet.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
When does it cross the line? I would say when you hide new purchases, lie about how much stuff costs, and find that everything you do revolves around the activity in some fashion to the exclusion of doing other stuff with people outside of the interest.

Self check--nope not there yet.
Well no worries about intervention from any of us here....!! LOL :rolleyes:
Only when your not dealing with every day life as needed & your at least going to work & pay'in the bills.
Kinda boarder line here though, alot of us build our stuff & buy items to build with,is that an addiction ?
Or how about any of us that collect a specific item (s) of personal like & interest,is that an addiction,
only if we are not taking care of everything else needed.
Now as far the lying & hiding new purchases part......er as to the great words from Blazing saddles movie;
"your on your own ! " :eek: ..........& when your on here more than doing anything else,like building a prop :D

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I also asked for some supplies for Christmas... modeling clay, pvc, some fabric... Tonight I was driving home and it seemed like a good time to pop in a Halloween cd I just happened to have lying in th car... Good thing i'm not addicted :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Oddly enough when the show was starting today, I had suddenly remembered I hadn't checked out ebay today! I can't afford to buy much but I monitor collectibles anyway. Those re-borning dolls were really creeping me out. Collecting them and having props is one thing but they talked about people that actually dress them up and take them out as if they were real. That's a little disturbing. And I thought the little 7 year old Elvis girl was really funny. After watching this, I've decided I'm passionate, not obsessive so whew!

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Lets be honest we are all addicted :rolleyes:

I f we were no addicted then we wouldn't be on here every day and saying in January OMG there is only 300 days to halloween and I have not even started yet :eek:

obsession is good, especially brings when it happiness and joy to so many kids :) scratch that when you scare the crap outa so mnay kids :D

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Addicted? Naw, I can quit any time I want to. I just don't want to. I'm just...enthusiastic. The collection of skulls? Well, uh, it's.....professional. Yeah, that's it. Professional. I need them for my anthropology. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The truly frightening part is that I *have* a small scale Neanderthal skeleton on the bookshelf in my office.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Well "I" only check in here daily to look at the countdown so I'll know how much longer it is before we are thru with this frozen tundra crap...:)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Addicted? Naw, I can quit any time I want to. I just don't want to. I'm just...enthusiastic!

I CAN stop anytime I want! But guess what? I DON'T want to! I am enjoying it too much!

I have several hobbies all of which I enjoy with a passion.

One of them is costuming. I especially love historical costumes. I do a lot of research before I go to my costumer.

At present I am working on a humorous costume. I plan to develope for my next costume character that of myself as "Martha Stewart, The Domestic Diva" with several outfits including the kitchen outfit. Since the clothing and extras are all coming from a resale shop ( some cheap, some free) I can't be too choosy. I am also researching Martha's makeup and mannerisms as well.

This is all fun.

When the economy gets better I want to work on a Rennaissance King since one of my clubs does a midievil night every two years and there is a Renie faire in the area.

My other great costume challange: An Egyptian Pharoah

Am I addicted?

Maybe!

But I enjoy the hell out of what I am doing.

So if I am addicted, so be it!

The Costumer

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well the difference between a career and a job is you never have enough time to finish all your projects, where a job you never can leave early quick enough.

The difference between a career/job and a hobby is the hobby actually has a negative net profit

The difference between addiction and a hobby is that you cannot afford to eat/pay bills/ with an addiction. I would tend to think hobbies are things you do for fun, while addictions is all you can think about.

So going back to that Dorthy doll. If you can resell it and make a profit, you are in the hobby zone. If you buy it, keep it, and cannot pay bills, its an addiction.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I am a programmer so I am dedicated to sitting at my computer for 40 to 50 hours a week. More when I subcontract. So finding hobbies that allow me to get up from my virtual world and create with my hands is very fullfilling for me. And probably in a way its all good for mental health.

Anyhow, I agree that as long as you dont go overboard financially and make time for you family its not an issue. Everyone needs their own personal time, and if you spend it building your next halloween prop, then so be it.

And for the record, since halloween, I am up to 9 skulls, 5 shrunken heads, and a partially built alien. All done in the evening hours after my daughter goes to bed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts