• 1st week of October

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Middle of October

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Week before Halloween

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Day of Halloween

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • What? People take their Halloween stuff down?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I go with the first week, mostly so i don't p!ss off the neighbors. Otherwise i'd set up when the haunted houses open, which is a couple weekends before October.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Normally the weekend before the Big Event. The neighbors love it.

This year, for various reasons, we won't be setting up until Thursday night before Halloween. But it will be awesome...

I feel, if you leave this stuff out too long, it can become stale. Hey, lookit these garish Christmas displays - Can you say "Boring"? But that's just me.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I stick with the day before. The weather is just too unpredictable. Over the past couple of days, it's been as windy as a tropical storm here in NY. All would have been a disaster if the decor was out. Luckily, I can get away with the day before. If I had an extensive setup, I'd have to be smart and do it in stages and plan for the worst because in October, the winds are tough to deal with.

Dan

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I like to set up early but last year I had to wait till Halloween day and this year I have to wiat till the weekend before.
But I'm leaving it up till the meddle of Nov. Shhhhhh don't tell my Love. Muhahahahahah

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,288 Posts
Lights, cobwebs and hanging stuff out first of October. Graveyard fence, cheapy tombstones out second weekend.

Main stuff out for the night of the party, taken back in and then setup again for Halloween night, then the whole thing comes down.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This year will be either the week of or maybe even only a few days before. Not sure yet, I'm waiting to see what happens with the weather.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think I did two weeks or ten days in advance last year and had to take it down twice because of weather. I'm setting it up on the 30th this year with the fine tuning going on the morning of Halloween.

I've also always worried about people breaking or stealing my stuff so I'm not going to mess with that this year.

·
My Wonderland is in Ruins
660 Posts
The tombstones I normally do the week before; and wind up re-positioning them everyday til halloween. (boo coastal winds) The carport, I have to wait til Halloween morning since the hubby parks his bike in there everyday. :eek:

But when we move home and finally have our own home again I'll probably start setting up the first week of October too, as longs as I don't have to worry about the hoodle heads in neighborhood. :D

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
1st weekend of October -- I got a jump start this year because (a) I've got more stuff to put out this year so I'm doing it in stages, (b) my son and the other neighborhood kids really look forward to the display, (c) most importantly, I can't wait any longer--"It's gotta go up NOW!"

I agree, if you put everything out too early, it could get stale. That's why I put out stuff in stages. Then the kids on the way to and from school notice the additions. "Oh, cool, the pirate cannons are out now!"

·
Registered
182 Posts
October 1 is my goal to begin, though usually the first weekend in the month is the actual date. The biggest determinant, though, is the "nag quotient:" How much of my wife's pestering can I stand before I give in and do as I'm told. ;>

I'll already have fall stuff up in late September anyway, so there comes a transition time between "fall" and "Halloween." Right now it looks a little odd with creepy tombstones, my reaper, and skeletons, and happy, smiling scarecrows. I'm really hoping to build a Pumpkinrot-style scarecrow to chase away those insipid hay-stuffed ones.

There is a bit of a battle between me and my wife, because I like the darker look of Halloween and she is all too willing to have tschotskes and sillier holiday fare. Basically it's become a split where she decorates the inside of the house with her quirky stuff and I can delve into the black arts outside. However, we do like to have it up no later than two weeks before Halloween so that we can actually enjoy the look of the place along with all of our neighbors.

Rich

·
Registered
374 Posts
I start on Oct 1 with outside stuff. It is just so hot here I have to do it in stages and get as much done as I can with the few cool days we get. Plus, it helps to get in the mood because we don't have the weather to reinforce the season.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I start October 1, but try to push it to the weekend before the first if I can convince the wife. I have so much stuff that I am usually out for a couple of hours each night building or setting up throughout the entire month. It's never really done, right up to when the first tots start showing up on the big day.

People always stop and ask how long it takes to set up, and I really don't know. I tell them a couple of hours each night for the month. I kind of like doing it this way because I typically have people driving by a couple of times a week to see what's been put up. It keeps the interest up throuhout the whole month. And of course the full show is running the night before and Halloween night.

And by Election day it's all down. (boohoo)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can'r set up till the day 2 reasons 1 I use my entire yard drive way included and 2 mischevius kids would break things
but I do a mini set up inside the house from mid sept untill halloween when I haule it all out side

1 - 20 of 23 Posts