Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you set it all up at once and leave it alone or are you more like me and set it up and keep tweaking and arranging (or fussing, as my husband says) until the very last minute?
Maybe you're more organized and have a set plan and you don't deviate from that. Or do you just throw everything out in a rush and hope for the best?
I've had everything with the exception of a couple of electronics out for a couple of weeks but every day I'm out in the yard, trying to make it better. Wondering what else I might do to really bring it all together. I don't think I ever say "good enough" until I'm completely out of time!
What about you? What's your style?

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
We opened our walk-through maze on Oct. 3rd and have run for a couple of hours every Fri. and Sat. night this month. (We are open every night this week through Nov. 1st).

We are still adding, modifying, re-arranging, and correcting every day.
We'll say "good enough" when the last person leaves the maze on November 1st.

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
Do you set it all up at once and leave it alone or are you more like me and set it up and keep tweaking and arranging (or fussing, as my husband says) until the very last minute?
Maybe you're more organized and have a set plan and you don't deviate from that. Or do you just throw everything out in a rush and hope for the best?
I've had everything with the exception of a couple of electronics out for a couple of weeks but every day I'm out in the yard, trying to make it better. Wondering what else I might do to really bring it all together. I don't think I ever say "good enough" until I'm completely out of time!
What about you? What's your style?
The year it's good enough is the last time I haunt. Now, I do put the 'well that'll have to wait till next year' out there quite frequently at different points.

As for this year, I'm not happy with this and that, could really use some more time, but am to the point where if I don't get things done, it's fine how it is. I'll notice, no one else. That said, I'll stop fussin on it about 5 pm Oct 31. We 'open' at 6PM, and it takes me that last hour to costume/eat/turn everything on.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I'm not one to tinker. I try to get it right the first time and move on. Don't get trapped into overdoing anything. Look at Leonardo Da Vinci; he packed the Mona Lisa (painted on a wooden board, BTW) around Europe for 12 year before HE said "That's good enough", and he STILL thought it wasn't quite there yet...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I tweak and fuss but I also have a checklist so I don't get too distracted by fussing and forget to do important stuff like the lighting. I update the list each night and re-prioritize what's left. A couple of years ago I was so worn out by Halloween night that I was in a fog the whole time. Now I have a strict rule - no tweaking on Halloween Day. I have a list of stuff that is done on the day and that's all I do. Set up candy station, rope lights along pathways, fresh batteries where needed, check any moving props for tangled wires/linkages/loose connections, and make sure we eat before the kids start showing up. Halloween is a lot more relaxed and fun now even with over 500 TOTs.

·
Mummy Dearest
1,149 Posts
I know some teachers that would say if you say or ask yourself "Is this good enough" then it's not. Lol. I sure hope that doesn't apply to Haunters.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was told by a wise customer some time ago that "Good is the Enemy of Great." When you start sliding backwards instead of moving forward by making too many adjustments it is time to call it a day, a week, or entire season and take a break. That is how I stop myself from overdoing it.

I also believe that a good working plan is better than a perfect one on the shelf. Sometimes we can defeat ourselves before we get started.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
The year it's good enough is the last time I haunt. Now, I do put the 'well that'll have to wait till next year' out there quite frequently at different points.

As for this year, I'm not happy with this and that, could really use some more time, but am to the point where if I don't get things done, it's fine how it is. I'll notice, no one else. That said, I'll stop fussin on it about 5 pm Oct 31. We 'open' at 6PM, and it takes me that last hour to costume/eat/turn everything on.
Same here although I won't eat or put on a costume.....will work until ToTs start showing up on Friday night.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I don't know that "Good enough" is what I utter, but around midnight, when the shades of October begin to slumber in the mists of November, I may heave a sigh and regretfully mumble, "Okay, I guess that's it for this year..."

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Sometimes I actually just have to take things away. I discover I've shoved too much stuff in there and it no longer feels "Halloween" and "spooky," it looks more like a Halloween clearance aisle.

I catch that glimpse as I turn into my driveway, and if it looks bare, I add, and if it looks like too many conflicting ideas in one place, I take away or at least rearrange.

When I drive past my own house and get that great spooky feeling, I know that it's just enough.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I do get to a point where I say, "Done!" LOVE that moment! :) After that, the only tweaking is last minute repairs (something crooked that shouldn't be, a burnt out light, etc.). Hopefully, there aren't any repairs if I've done it right but, hey, things happen. Once the haunt opens, I let it all go.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
After about the 3rd set of toters show up, I figure it's going to start getting busy, it's going to have to do. But when I'm putting things away, I'll find a few things and say, I should have put those out. Or, as a lady in a store told me when I was picking up rubber rats, The devil's work is never done. lol

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
We don't get many ToT's so for me, it's when the party guests show up. Prior to that, I'm always tweaking and adding. I get new ideas as I go along, and there's always more to do, to arrange, to perfect. I never complete everything I wanted just the way that I wanted, and I'm sure I never will. It's not my nature. But when the guests show up, then it's time to let go of any over-achieving perfectionism and have fun. If my guests are having a good time, then it's Good Enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I try to pace myself and set up in stages to keep from being overwhelmed. I see a lot of my work as "in progress". For example this year I added 6 cemetery columns to my fence set up. They are simple, textured, and painted. Next year I'll add some lights or other embellishments. I try to reduce any stress over the haunt to keep it a fun experience, not work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts