Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always fearful of someone coming along and stealing and/or breaking my stuff. Plus, i have some expensive props that I do not think would hold up well in the rain and weather.... How do you deal with this problem? I assume most put out some stuff and then on the night of really put out the main event stuff? Just wondering?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I set up, and tear down the entire show on the same day. I have way too much time, and money invested in my props, to have some little punks come along and steal it, or destroy it to impress thier buddies. It makes for a long day, but it also adds to the mystique. When the nieghborhood kids wake up the next morning, everything is GONE!!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The cheap stuff (bluckys, homemade tombstones and fence, etc.) is out now. The bigger, or more expensive stuff goes out the day of the party (24th), and then comes back in until Halloween. Weather permitting, it'll be out all day and night then...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pretty much everything goes up Halloween morning and is back in the house at the end of the night! We may put a couple tombstones out a few days early (depending on weather) but nothing big.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The cheap stuff (bluckys, homemade tombstones and fence, etc.) is out now. The bigger, or more expensive stuff goes out the day of the party (24th), and then comes back in until Halloween. Weather permitting, it'll be out all day and night then...
Ditto for me!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a cool take on it Dr. D... I usually put out a lame blow up for the month of October just to throw the neighbors off (if it works i don't know, but that is my attempt at a lame inside joke that only i get). I would take it down in one day, but I have so much stuff that it would take me all night and depending on how many beers i have it could take a couple days... I'm taking Friday off to get started...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I feel you man, there is nothing that can ruin Halloween more than a little rain or suburban white kids who are bored in the middle of the night. Generally what I do is put out the smaller stuff about mid-way though the month. The bigger and more expensive things go out The Morning of Halloween.

Out here we have Goosie Night (or Devils Night, Mischief Night, or Hell Night .. it goes by a lot of different things) which is the night before Halloween. Normally the cops hit the beat pretty hard that night but even with the extra man power they can't be every-place at once.

So anything that is expensive or tough to replace I either bring in on Goosie night or put out the following morning on Halloween.

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
Tombstones go out now.... lighting in bits and pieces, with a couple nights with the all the lights to test out the programming. The pneumatics go out the day off, simply because it doesn't make sense otherwise.

So honestly... most of the stuff goes out the day of, and I take it down when the last kid leaves.

No signs of HW in the morning, I like it that way for added effect.

Typically, we would deck out the inside of the house from the end of September until early November. Not much inside this year beyond some Lemax stuff and ghosts in the windows.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
A lot of my stuff isn't weatherproof and I too don't want expensive or favorite stuff taken as a prank, so I always set up the day of Halloween. I will take a day or two before and layout stuff for positioning. Mark somehow where it will go (those marker spray cans are useful). I'm better at seeing things set up although I do plan stuff out on paper a head of time. That helps just to get me keyed into what props and stuff I will need. Also a run-through is good for lighting and changes to it. For the most part it goes back into my garage until the big night. Set up is then pretty fast since I know where everything should go.

A garage haunt is in my future so I can set up some things earlier and just leave it there. Also it's a great way to expand my yard space.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All up and away in the one day. Put some stuff out in evenings before just for a test drive and tantalize the neighbours. Too much risk to leave anything out overnight, even in a "good" neighbourhood. One year we left the fence out after Halloween. Just a rickety looking 2' wooden fence and someone grabbed a couple of sections and threw them on the road. Just can't trust people.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I only put my main props out for the big day as well.

I have a fair bit of decoration out for the entire month, but mostly house mounted stuff. Its not so much fear of vandalism, but for my part, I think that having everything out kinda takes away from the big day. Folks wander by during the month to see what's new, as I trickle props out a bit at a time with the main display going out only for Halloween night. Sorta adds to the magic, in my opinion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I start putting out a few props here and there on or about the 20th and then put my most prized things out the day of. The cemetery usually goes out first. I don't know about vandalism, I worry about it but we are in a small town and know the "bad" kids and they are usually asking to help, so I hope that's a good sign.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I put my props out for Halloween 31 ... I have some expensive props that I do not think would hold up well in the rain and weather....But the cemetery goes frist.

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
I also set up the day of Halloween and take down that night. My props are not weather proof and I worry about someone stealing them or ruining them. It is alot of work but thank goodness it is a Saturday and I will have the whole fam to help.....I am excited about that. I do my lighting a couple days ahead from my extensive notes that I take and dig all holes and fill them with aluminum foil so I can see them so I can just stick my props in without having to measure. The inside of course gets started the last weekend of September.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
??

Blackfrog... aluminum foil? Sorry I am trying to follow... Please explain. Sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
we set up usually 2 days before. Although we have a yard that is completely fenced in, the weather is very unpredictable here in Texas so we'd rather not chance it.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
I put up the crypt (so heavy no ones stealing that thing:)) minus FCG she goes in on Halloween. I put up all tombstones and coffins any lights and hanging ghouls. All of the really expensive lifesize props go out on Halloween night and come in that evening. Weather ruins them and dont want to tempt anyone to take one home:) The haunted house in back gets all frames and electrical ran, tarps placed and nothing goes in there til Halloween either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put out the cheaper stuff a week or two before the 31st. Spider webs mostly so the nieghborhood knows Im doing something. I take off work on the 31st (Sat this year!! Woo!) I get up at 6 am and start putting up the good stuff, zombie, tombstones, lights, foggers and things I have alot of time or money invested in go up on the 31st and come down around 10pm and I put the stuff in my back yard. I would hate to see my stuff vandalized or stolen. Most of it is so unique that if it were stolen I would be able to I.D. it in a heartbeat if I saw it in someone elses yard. I also engrave my name in my big stuff.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts