Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you all hear about that Chim named Travis that went psycho all the sudden? Wow.Crazy. What are your thoughts on that?

I don't see why an animal that size would be kept as a pet.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It's all you hear now adays. It's not that big. Where I grew up a guy was known for raising tigers. Over the years only two mauled people. People give wild animals human characteristics and don't realise that it's still a wild animal no matter how many tricks you teach it.

·
Delightfully Sinful
2,527 Posts
I saw a partial interview with the owner this morning. She said had him for 13 years and never had an an incident. She said that Travis got along well with her best friend, however on the day of the attack the best friend had a new haircut. She thinks maybe Travis didn't recognize her and thought of her as a threat. She did say though that a 10 minutes before the BF arrived she gave him a Zanax. Wonder if that contributed to it?

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
I just saw the interview on MSN.com and it was so sad. When she talked about grabbing the knife to get him off her friend she started to tear up and you could tell she was so upset over the whole thing. He was famous, he was the chimp in the Old Navy Commercials with Morgan Fairchild years ago....
AND YES I definetely think Zanax played a huge role in it.

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just saw the interview. It's terriable. I understand that he haden't had an inncedent before and I'm not blaming that. I think a wild animal no matter what size and espically one that's extinct shoulden't really be in captivity like that.

Xanex is pretty heavy. I bet that was a cause in factor but still what a crazy story.

·
MASTER OF ALL I SURVEY!
100,685 Posts
It's not just tigers and chimpanzees. Dogs and cats have been known to do it
too. Could have been the drug....maybe it developed a mental disorder they
didn't know about.

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not just tigers and chimpanzees. Dogs and cats have been known to do it
too. Could have been the drug....maybe it developed a mental disorder they
didn't know about.

Very good point. I'v sceen the sweetest puppy maul someone and no it was not a pitbull it was a black lab. A mental disorder could have well been. I mean look at the personality traits to. The owner let him drink wine then the xanax. What other crap did this lady give him? Maybe he was in captivity for to long? There have been numuerous televistion programs on with people that have a wild animal since the day they were born and then years later they have to let them go.

If anyone watched the show Friends, at one time in the show, Ross had a monkey as a pet. He was given up because of he was acting out.

·
Grave Rigger
982 Posts
This attack actually hasppened a few towns over from me, so it's been all over the local news. This chimp didn't just attack the woman, he tore her hands and jaw from her body. This monkey didn't just get confused because of a new hair cut. There have been other problems with Travis. One time it unbuckled itself from the seat belt in a car, and took off after a kid on the side of the road. It took the police two hours to get Travis back in the car.
These people that think you can take a animal that is 5 times stronger than a human, without the human ability to control instinct, and keep them as pets piss me off. And the worst part of this story...the peta nut jobs are blaming the cops for shooting the monkey instead of tazering it! This is after the monkey chased the cops to their car and tore the mirror off the side, then tried to get in the cruiser to attack the cops. The whole situatuation is sickening. When will people learn?!

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
It is sad that people get attacked and the animals have to die as a result of stupid owners. Even with domesticated animals.....if you leave your baby alone with a pitbull and the baby gets attacked for poking the dog in the eye....then you should have never owned that dog in the first place....now you have a mauled baby and a dog dead for protecting itself as a result. Some people have no common sense.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
A tragic story for all concerned.:(:(
I keep exotic animals. (or rather did, as time constraints and commitments at present won't allow me to dedicate the time needed to care for them properly.) I did it professionally for around 3 years while I took a break from engineering.

Most of my dealings were with large snakes (Boas & Pythons) and spiders/scorpions. although I have had some experience with smaller primates.

Fact is..if you are around wild animals for any length of time, eventually you are going to get "nailed".

you may be lucky and get away with a bit of a nip or a scratch..you may not be so lucky and receive a nasty injury or worse. Hard fact is that eventually, one of 'ems gonna getcha.

Wild animals are exactly that...wild. no amount of domestication and handling is ever going to change that fact and no animal domestic or wild can ever be trusted 100%.

In the wild, chimps live in family groups where aggression, violence and shows of strength are part of everyday life..at 15 this chimp would be coming to young adulthood with all the attendant testosterone surges normal in sub-adult male primates. Most of the baby chimps that find their way into the pet trade are orphans snatched from the wild, after most of their group have been slaughtered to obtain them. God alone knows what deep psychological scarring this causes, which may only manifest much later in the animals life

we'll probably never know for certain what caused this animal to flip out, as there are so many factors that could have contributed.

Chimpanzees are not funny, hairy little children..they are aggressive wild animals with 5 times the strength of an adult male human. Anybody keeping them as "pets" needs to have their bumps felt.:mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts