Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a clay pumpkin outside already, does that mean i can start cluttering my yard with halloween decorations? When is too early?

Also, I live in a neighborhood full of kids, and i have none. Add the gossip element in as well! K GO!

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
I'm going to start when I get my fence toppers finished (today or tomorrow, hopefully). Starting by putting up a fence because I want to gauge how my neighborhood kids will deal with my decorations being in the way front of the house (used to keep the main decorations in a cove-like area by my front door). If all goes well (and nobody vandalized anything) I'll put the rest out the 25 or 26th.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm taking 9/26 off and making it the 3 day exterior decorating/watching horror movies/drinking good beer weekend. We always set up exterior decorations the last weekend in September. Tomorrow we drag everything out on the back patio to do an inventory check, organize it and make sure nothing needs repairs. Interior decorations started a couple weeks ago.

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
last year i put out a few things out on friday september the 13th ...

this year i' already have a few thing out ... not sure when i put the 1st prop out ... could have been late august ...

i don't have anything major or super expensive out yet ... a couple of banners that i had made are hanging out in the front yard from a tree ... i also have a video playing in one of the upstairs windows ... a pumpkin window cling type of thing with a strobe on a timer so it strobes all night ...

amk

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I never ever start before October. I may even wait till a couple of weeks in this year. If I started now, I'd be sick of it before Halloween, not to mention the extra wear and tear there's be on everything; more sun, more wind, etc.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Too soon for hard-core Halloween in my book. I passed one lawn littered with a mish-mash of Halloween decorations- and hated it. Too much- too soon. I LOVE Halloween- but don't want to see it before October 1st any more than I want to see Christmas gack out in November.

At my house, Fall decorations go up in early October. (Fall leaf garlands on the mail box, non-jack-o-lantern pumpkins, cornstalks, etc.) Treat grab bags are filled and placed in their proper bins. Props sorted for what will play this year.

Mid October, some spider webs, lights and foam jack-o-lanterns, a FEW Halloween decorations that MUST look OK in full daylight. Indoor decorating for Halloween staged.

2-7 days before Halloween: electrics, speakers, and props are staged outside- but hidden. Indoor props, windows effects, and electrics up.

Trick-or Treat Night/Halloween- Get up at 5AM and put up EVERYTHING!

Halloween night- Everything GONE! < poof! >

·
Registered
181 Posts
I started putting together my indoor props today and picked up an assortment of pumpkin beers to help the process. It's raining here otherwise I would have powerwashed my brickfront part of the house then when it dried I would have hung my new 12 ft hanging pumpkin monster. Next weekend I will go full court press on the outside of the weather holds.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for your reply, Ive been working on my Four 4' columns all day. And after hearing everyones post I like your way of thinking NotBatesHolel!

Last weekend up September is in praise of the month of Halloween!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I start October 1st as well, but putting things outside really depends on the weather. I had to start much later last year because we were having a ton of rain and wind. October is really unpredictable in Colorado, and you never know if you're going to get an Indian summer or full on winter, so it's a waiting game.

But I'm definitely planning in my head this early, and even picking up a few small things at the stores.

·
Registered
268 Posts
HOA specifies October 1 for us, so that's that. Our neighborhood has right at 1100 homes in it and one of them on the way to our middle school started on Wednesday. Yesterday it was all gone so someone must've said something.

Lucky for me, I have a neighbor two doors down who's a huge Halloween fan and they say they start the first day allowed. I'm looking forward to our very friendly competition of decorating.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I put a few things outside today after the kids and I did inside the house. I've really been in the mood since HorrorHound last weekend. And after my Halloween III masks arrived today. Didn't put too much outside, a large plastic pumpkin, 3 treat pails, a small gravestone and a skeleton. I couldn't wait any longer. There will be much more comng!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts