Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So, last year a neighbor was throwing out a wheelchair - nothing wrong with it. I grabbed it up knowing I wanted to use it for a scare I could roam the neighborhood with.

I took off the back (6 screws) and replaced it with a wooden platform for the scissor jack. I used steel L frame on base and two pieces bolted together for holding the scissor jack. U-bolts around the chairs arms hold the bottom and top (top U-bolts not in this picture)

After getting it to work, I redesigned the foot connector ...

Here it is when sprung...

Front view when sprung...noticed I did disconnect the hips from the spine...was worried about it being too heavy.

This could easily be transformed into a pneumatic prop, removing the pvc foot trigger and building a 'floor' for adding a tank for air (I thought a tank could be disguised as an oxygen tank for poor old skelly) and a cylinder to spring it.

Hopefully, I'll dress up the skeleton as Aunt Libby, where she will look sickly but normal, and then spring it to show bones underneath. If I do, I'll update this thread.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI - 3/4 inch pvc cross connectors slide on to bottom rails with no issues...I used 1/2 inch pvc with another 3/4 cross connector that slides free on the 1/2" pvc, giving it the way to spring the scissor jack by stepping down on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Manual or pneumatic, that'll look great. Makes me want to start playing with scissor props.

When you dress her, don't forget to put her in a two piece :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nebulosity and Russell.
\
Amazing that I looked all over trying to find a set up before building and could not find anything but one company that was selling something like this for $5000+, yet here Russell did it back in 2008, and last night I went to Howl-o-Scream at Busch Gardens, and the last thing we saw as we were leaving was a guy (employee of BG) running around with a monster/granny in a wheel chair. His chair used a 2-bar lift to pop the prop up about 4 feet. Really made my night, got a quick look at the mechanism.

We hadn't gone to Howl-O-Scream for about 10 years so I don't know when they started using this, but it's exactly the perfect place to be able to run around and scare the [email protected] out of folks (I would have left the employee in normal employee clothes ... instead he was dressed like one of the scary people so you knew something was up)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, Granny still has some work to be done...but is looking better.

still need to make the shawl open up to show the ribs, spine, and arms.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
That's cool. We sometimes go camping for Halloween where there's 300 sites full of campers and everyone decorates. That prop would be killer to walk around with!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed out wheelchair prop for remote jumper scare. Just changed manual process to air cylinder pulling down to launch Grandma.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts