Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most members on here run haunts, but not all (I don't). And even those who do might be interested in other aspects of Halloween as well. So I was wondering: How many of you operate haunts? What other aspects of Halloween are you into? For those who don't have a haunt - what is it about Halloween that you like? What brought you here?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I do a creepy 300 yard backyard trail with my garage as the exit and grand finale (they enter up my driveway and into my sideyard. I've notice most people here do a lot of displays more or less like a art gallery. We have been blessed with woods and land out back so we do an adventure type trail with live actors and focus more on the atmoshere (foggers,tiki's) and mood lighting with a few props mix in. I like to think we are more of a creepy hike thru a fun house and not a haunt, I guess we feel so special....ha...ha... and I love it ! I get most of my ideas from out local hay rides and theme parks and a few halloween tv show specials.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I guess I do a haunted " art gallery". Personally, it sounds like a slam but, I'll take it. We do the house and front yard. I have the perfect back yard for some stuff since we have a lot of trees. The thing that holds me back right now is that the yard is up and down and I would have to make a lighted "trail" so they wouldn't stumble all over the place. I also don't have others to run it so I would have to run all my wiring and props out there without people tripping over the wires. I planned on doing something along that lines this year but, changed it when I decided to do some more stuff with the roof. I don't want the kiddies to see the back of the props. Yuck. I also do up my truck and might make it even more embellished.
I like the haunted aspect of Halloween including the witches and ghost stories that are talked about on the history channel. I would love to hit one of our haunted cemetaries to take pics that night but, then I would have to give up that haunt.

·
Reaper Queen
8,621 Posts
I do a smaller home haunt, but do 2 different week ends at 2 local state parks that have 3 day halloween festivals, I love the whole atmosphere there, every one is excited and happy, most people decorate their lots and what ever camping habitate they have, some with just a few lights, a few like me love to go over the top, but all have a good time. And walking the park after dark to see all the sites decorated, I love it. Plus, I don't get alot of TOTers at my house, so , between the 2 parks, I get over 700. I love seeing the costumes on the kids. the creativity,
Out side of the haunting aspects, enjoy paranormal stories, either books or tv. I adore old cemetaries, I could walk them for hours. Also paranormal history,. like the Salem stories.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
No haunt here - Halloween is sheer indulgence for me! My house and my yard are decked out but strictly for my own enjoyment.
Actually, I guess it's not just me; the trick or treaters seem to enjoy it too and that's always fun, but even if they didn't come I would still do exactly what I do now!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
We started back in 2002 with a party to let our dutch friends experience Halloween.
It was such a big hit that we've continued it every year since. Came to this site looking for halloween party ideas and the prop aspect peeked hubby's interest. So our parties have a new prop each year.

MsM

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
No haunt here. Halloween is a year round thing for me. My house is the spooky one in the neighborhood. I have 3ft fiberglass gargoyles permanently mounted on my porch roof and other lil details such as urns on either side of my door,etc. I have this funeral home decor thing goin on in my livingroom, my friend who works picking up dead bodies recently gave me a used , yes used, creamation coffin, I am gonna make that into a coffin coffee table. So, most people do Halloween once a year. I am Halloween 360 days a year. I guess I am a little spooky myself, I have 19 piercings and I am working on sleeving up both arms, I even have a scarecrow tattoo on my upper arm.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This will be my third year with what I would call a haunt and hoping to take to a level of having a walk through. I grew up in the country so Trick or Treating was never a big thing for me, but every year I went to my aunts where she hosted a haunted trail. So I guess monsters and ghouls have just been a highlight for me as even as a toddler I was subjected to some form of haunting each year. Beyond that I am a huge horror fan, nothing like the October month to bring out all the greats on TV.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I do a yard haunt. Each year gets bigger. Main theme is graveyard and then I add stuff into it like my coffin and witch table ect. ect. It gets pretty crazy lol.

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
Started in 1986, just haunting my porch. It soon moved to the yard then to the driveway. Cemetary in the yard and last year the witch's tent for a evil tarot reading. Sorry got no pics of the tarot reading.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
I have always loved halloween. Once i got too old to trick or treat (12) i started decorating the outside of my parents house. For a few years i did this and then i gave it a break since we started to have vandals and thieves. Just this past year i really got back into it and went all out. I can honestly say that if it were not for forums like this i would never have gotten back into it. Now i do my yard from the sidewalk to the front door and i play into my scenery and act as a working prop. My main theme is hard to say. I started with a graveyard and then decided to do the crucified buckies and then the crows and then the pig heads on a stick and the scarecrow. I guess my theme would just be creepy or unsettling. I am not into animatronis and i like the idea of pneumatics but hate the sound of them (takes away the creepiness). I am big into static props that look so real you are waiting for them to move and thats what scares you about my yard. This year i am adding more buckies to the display and hopefully some resident evil dogs and then i will be a walking leatherface prop that greets and chases the trick or treaters. I get a sort of satisfaction looking at the people staring at the props as they walk by with their kids or seeing the car slow down to take a good look at everything. Its just cool knowing that i can make something that will make people stop what they are doing for a minute and say holy **** did you see that guys house?

·
Creepin When Your Sleepin
1,143 Posts
No haunt here. Halloween is a year round thing for me. My house is the spooky one in the neighborhood. I have 3ft fiberglass gargoyles permanently mounted on my porch roof and other lil details such as urns on either side of my door,etc. I have this funeral home decor thing goin on in my livingroom, my friend who works picking up dead bodies recently gave me a used , yes used, creamation coffin, I am gonna make that into a coffin coffee table. So, most people do Halloween once a year. I am Halloween 360 days a year. I guess I am a little spooky myself, I have 19 piercings and I am working on sleeving up both arms, I even have a scarecrow tattoo on my upper arm.
I would really like to see your scarecrow tattoo

·
Registered
375 Posts
I do a yard haunt too. Each year gets bigger and bigger... I love scary movies and Scary kids .... My house in Halloween nigth is the only spooky in the neighborhood. And I love it...

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I've always been into the darker side of Halloween; the first costume I can remember wearing is that of the Grim Reaper. My mother and I decorate the house for Halloween every year, as we have for as far back as I can remember, and, though we don't do a 'haunt' per se, the yard itself does a good job of scaring people without either of us having to, though we occasionally will just for the fun of it:cool:

I'm like wristslitter in regards to being obsessed with Halloween and decorating for it year-round. When I finally get my own place, I'll be labelled 'the neighborhood warlock', guaranteed:D

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
I don't do a haunt either. I guess my favorite part of Halloween is dressing up in costume, and doing makeup. I do have a small cemetery in the front of the house, but most of my decor, too, is indoors. The biggest part of Halloween for me is the party that we have every year. It's become a tradition now, and I wouldn't miss it. We have had some absolutely howlin' throwdowns on Halloween, and all the friends seem to have a ball. Halloween night the best part is the TOTers and getting to see all the costumes that they come up with, and seeing if I can scare them just a little with sound effects, fog, and other such atmospheric stuff. (Or maybe with my costume, which is ALWAYS a great treat if I can pull it off!!!)

What brought me here? Love of Halloween and having a place where I can really let it all hang out and not have people think I'm weird.

What's kept me here? You guys. ;)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Sadly, I'm gonna be an EX-haunter this year. After years of having a big yard and house haunt... and giving away large toys, games and electronics, it just got to be more than I could handle.:(

I might not be done forever- but I will cut back this year in an attempt to decrease expenditures and the number of TOTs at my door.

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
I would really like to see your scarecrow tattoo
My scarecrow is a coverup of an old tattoo that faded due to that tattooist not being familiar with the ink . First is what it was, next is the scarecrow coverup. Its not completed yet, he is suppose be on fire. I am also gonna due a whole scene around him, flaming pumpkins, flaming crows etc.
Old tattoo:

Coverup tattoo:

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am in my second year ,mostly outside for the 2 years cemetary in the front yard and witches and some mad lab in the garage but as i live on a street that have 1 familly with kids and the rest are retired people, if i have 20 kids during the night it's good. My problem for the first year was i was alone to do it the second one i had more help and it was more fun ( even with only 20 kids ). And with the halp of 2 great forum friends here i was able to do a more elaborate display this year
Thanks to Witch from canada and Bethene . Like Mhooch what i like most of Halloween is dressing up the make up and this forum (the people in it )

·
Registered
12,918 Posts
We do a yard haunt, that over the years has now expanded to include the neighbor's yard! Would love to do a walk thru someday, if I could find someplace to put all the stuff in my garage. :)
We also host a Adult Halloween party as well as a separate one for the kids outdoors by the cemetery, where we roast marshmallows and hot dogs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts