Halloween Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I began a transition from "generic all-over-the-place" Halloween 3 years ago to something firmly rooted in a Disney's Haunted Mansion theme, It's always been my favorite Disney dark ride, and I think it hits a great balance between whimsy and spooky. We get lots of little kids around here, so I am not really up for no-kidding scares, and I personally prefer the fun/spooky vibe. A couple pieces are directly copied or at least inspired by the HM, and some are not, but sort of "on the theme of." I want the same aesthetic and feel, but with my own take.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm getting married this October, so trying to plan the wedding (we're doing a lot of DIY) and Halloween is a little stressful. I'm trying to keep it simple, so I've decided on a wedding (surprise!) theme. I'll probably set the front yard up as a cemetery and will have a pair of skeletons tying the knot. I haven't worked out all the details, but I do plan on using my HD Hearse in the theme. I'll decorate it with signs, (Newly Deads! - Just Buried!) etc. and strings of tin cans and bones trailing behind. I'm also trying to keep it on the cheap side, so will most likely not be making any large purchases. I think Dollar Tree and Goodwill will be my go to places.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm getting married this October, so trying to plan the wedding (we're doing a lot of DIY) and Halloween is a little stressful. I'm trying to keep it simple, so I've decided on a wedding (surprise!) theme. I'll probably set the front yard up as a cemetery and will have a pair of skeletons tying the knot. I haven't worked out all the details, but I do plan on using my HD Hearse in the theme. I'll decorate it with signs, (Newly Deads! - Just Buried!) etc. and strings of tin cans and bones trailing behind. I'm also trying to keep it on the cheap side, so will most likely not be making any large purchases. I think Dollar Tree and Goodwill will be my go to places.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!
My Doctors nurse did something like that. Don't remember alot of the details now, was a few years ago, but she had the typical Bride and groom and some other stuff, This was also at a campground. It was pretty good don't remember but she either got second or third for it.

One of the things would be an Archway maybe of twisted vines.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The entirety of my Halloween plan is to put my stuff out dangerously close to the street where it will get seen. I am on a corner lot with a huge front yard on a curve in the road. It's taken me over five years to realize there's little reason to put anything up near the house in the weeks leading up to October 31st. Immediate neighbors might glimpse decorations on walks and bike rides, but passing motorists are too focused on the road.
Maybe two or three nights out from "the night of" I'll line the walkway up to the house with some decor, but that's about it. This marks a huge shift to my haunting strategy of previous years.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We’ll probably have two or three scenes but we will focus mainly on the haunted playground
Huge, huge change this year. We were informed 18 days ago that we have til June 30th to be moved out of our rental house. This was a Halloween dream location. We are now facing a depressing situation of rentals being grossly overpriced. I can’t blame the owner for selling the home, but he gave us nowhere near enough time to find something else. He’s a friend and was disgusted that our previous landlord only gave us 90 days notice. I guess when it comes to money you tend to forget those things. We offered considerably more rent for 6-12 months to buy us some more time but it didn’t happen.

We are likely looking at having to move into an apartment, so Halloween is likely not going to be much of anything this year. We’ve been overwhelmed by the timeline and amount of stuff we have to move, all at the busiest time of year for work for me. But in the last couple of days I’ve been brainstorming. And if time allows I may try to build an animated hayride type of thing with a spare 10‘ trailer I have, and tow it around town a couple of days near Halloween.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I began a transition from "generic all-over-the-place" Halloween 3 years ago to something firmly rooted in a Disney's Haunted Mansion theme, It's always been my favorite Disney dark ride, and I think it hits a great balance between whimsy and spooky. We get lots of little kids around here, so I am not really up for no-kidding scares, and I personally prefer the fun/spooky vibe. A couple pieces are directly copied or at least inspired by the HM, and some are not, but sort of "on the theme of." I want the same aesthetic and feel, but with my own take.
That's great. We also love HM! Going to try and do a room this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are doing a skeleton-filled ghost town in the front yard with storefront, saloon, jail and gallows. Our 12’ skeleton will be a cowboy/Sheriff. I need a horse skeleton for the yard and to create our golf cart for witches ride thru neighborhood but am running in to dead ends for that.
I’m also doing a haunted western theme. Please share any tips as I am in the beginning stages and very much a newbie

·
Registered
511 Posts
Huge, huge change this year. We were informed 18 days ago that we have til June 30th to be moved out of our rental house. This was a Halloween dream location. We are now facing a depressing situation of rentals being grossly overpriced. I can’t blame the owner for selling the home, but he gave us nowhere near enough time to find something else. He’s a friend and was disgusted that our previous landlord only gave us 90 days notice. I guess when it comes to money you tend to forget those things. We offered considerably more rent for 6-12 months to buy us some more time but it didn’t happen.

We are likely looking at having to move into an apartment, so Halloween is likely not going to be much of anything this year. We’ve been overwhelmed by the timeline and amount of stuff we have to move, all at the busiest time of year for work for me. But in the last couple of days I’ve been brainstorming. And if time allows I may try to build an animated hayride type of thing with a spare 10‘ trailer I have, and tow it around town a couple of days near Halloween.
That’s really tough situation. I really hope that things work out for you. Don’t feel bad about scaling down until you can get yourself situated.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
LOVE seeing so many haunters so ready to go! I am truly envious. We added a puppy to our family and she’s been hoarding all our time so I haven’t even thought about Halloween. My husband has to work and since we do a pop up Halloween that would mean it’s all on me. Might be an off year. Also, the attic is so full! We have a neighbor who started haunting and I was considering donating to his efforts. Time will tell.

We always change things up a little each year and I did buy some fairy tale goodies at the end of last year. If I stay on that path, I’m going full spooky forest. I’ll transition the werewolves in Little Red’s Cemetery and would love to do a spider maze fully webbed. I’d love to build a gingerbread house walkthrough with a lunging witch.

All I do know is the days of doing two massive displays are over. Last year we had a “Hallo-hangover” from working so hard for three days. So whatever we do, I’m editing it to just the front yard and skipping the side yard.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
We're another yard haunt that doesn't really change themes - mostly we expand & try to make things bigger/better/more organized than the previous years. Our cemetery area is our biggest space (and where we put the 12ft skelly), then we have a cornfield/pumpkin/scarecrow area, a spider area and we put some different props in our driveway where the TOTers come (a giant witch and cauldron, a huge werewolf, rocking witch, etc), and lots of stuff is covered with beef netting webs now (love that stuff!).

We also host a sort of open-house party for friends & family on Halloween night with a medium-sized tent in our driveway with food & drink, and then tables and chairs and a couple fire pits so everyone can hang out and see the TOTers.

I decorate inside the house too, although the last 2 years I've limited who can come inside due to the pandemic. I want to expand my scary/creepy plant area this year. I got the HD Man-Eating Plant last year and I love him so much that I pretty much want to theme the whole plant area around him!

Had a great time with Stiltbeasts' sprayfoam/beachball/fabric wrapped pumpkins last year and man do I ever need about 20 more!

Mostly I am thinking a lot now about flow of our space and how to accommodate both our party guests on the driveway better as well as all the TOTers. We're lucky that our display seems to be bringing in more and more TOTers each year but our yard is still the same size as always. So the age-old question - how to fit more props, more people & more scares?! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m also doing a haunted western theme. Please share any tips as I am in the beginning stages and very much a newbie
just joined the forum to get some ideas. I'm starting my old west haunt as well. Going for a Splatter Western feel. Received my first 12 foot skelly last week and working on his undead gunslinger costume. We live right on our town's Main Street that is also a major highway on the High Plains of Colorado. making a 30" long Colt Dragoon revolver that will be hollow and super light. He'll be standing under a huge sycamore tree so i can also support the gun with some wire from a tree branch. Wondering if anyone has ever bent the fingers of the 12 foot skelly to look like he is holding something?

·
Registered
329 Posts

I hope this obstacle brings you new and better ideas. I think you are already on the right track of thinking outside the box. With a little more brainstorming i things will and hope they turn out in your favor.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I'm also going to remove the books from my curbside little free library (I just call it the book box) for the whole month of October and replace them with small Halloween things for people to take. I have tons of stuff from old ideas, plans that didn't pan out, and so on.
That's a wonderful idea!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
After 10 years, we are returning to pirates. Minor set back for me is my Old shiphelm didn’t survive storage. Taking on making a ship prop this time around. I got the idea from a you tuber who made one for her home.
as things progress I’ll start my own thread For now, frame is close to being finished. Will start on foam exterior this weekend.

I made the frame in two pieces (left & right) to make it easier to bring it up and out of the basement. Will bolt together when setting it up.
I have the motor setup for a sailing master to run the ship and thanks to J-man I have now successfully hacked Grim to recite the pirates of the Caribbean greeter speech.
I found an amazing 3 d printer to print 2 mid evil looking torches. About 4 yrs ago I made a leering skeleton, and he will be on the bow leering over.

I know, this is an ambitious project. Hoping it all comes together well as its fabulous in my head. Lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
I'm also going to remove the books from my curbside little free library (I just call it the book box) for the whole month of October and replace them with small Halloween things for people to take. I have tons of stuff from old ideas, plans that didn't pan out, and so on.
All year long I collect halloween books at yard sales, etc & save them for my Little Free Library. Then I put them inside during October. I also grow mini pumpkins on a lattice attached to the library & give them to little (& big) kids that visit. It's work but sooo worth it.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts