Halloween Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do both.

Write for your website and then post it on social media (fb, Twitter and Instagram... Maybe even pinterest). This way you drive traffic to your site from social.

Your website becomes the home base and social media becomes your marketing strategy. You want to go where your audience is.

Instagram lets you post to their site, Facebook and Twitter one just one click. Might be a time saver if you're feeling overwhelmed by having to have a presence everywhere.
I was thinking something like a graphic novel style website. Where the site is the main attraction but then when you go to my Pinterest / Youtube accounts they have a similar theme but different content (all of them together make up the "graphic novel". I've seen several Haunters use Facebook effectively but at this time I'm going to stay away from all social media platforms and just create the web site, luckily I already have the domain name(s) registered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For several years I have been toiling with the idea of starting my own Halloween themed website. I have been waiting until I had enough content; at least interesting stuff that people would actually want to look at. I think I'm finally ready to share my twisted thoughts and ghastly images with everyone. So what is your preference for viewing such content (website or facebook). I'm still trying to decide if I want to invest the time and money to have full control over my content or give-it-all-over to the overseer's at facebook. Any thoughts or suggestions. (Perhaps I can take over PumpkinRots website since he's not posting anymore???? Who am I kidding no one could replace Rot).
[/QU Either 1 I don't care

·
Registered
23 Posts
For several years I have been toiling with the idea of starting my own Halloween themed website. I have been waiting until I had enough content; at least interesting stuff that people would actually want to look at. I think I'm finally ready to share my twisted thoughts and ghastly images with everyone. So what is your preference for viewing such content (website or facebook). I'm still trying to decide if I want to invest the time and money to have full control over my content or give-it-all-over to the overseer's at facebook. Any thoughts or suggestions. (Perhaps I can take over PumpkinRots website since he's not posting anymore???? Who am I kidding no one could replace Rot).
Facebook is good for selfies and starting family feuds, I'd stick with a website. On the other hand, what do I know, I'm terrible with technology.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I started a 2 page web-site on Yahoo, it was called Geocities. It provided just what I needed and it was free for a number of years. I think we all knew those free sites were going to come to an end. I started adding new things right from the very start and so it grew kind of fast. Later down the road I opened one of their business accounts, what a really terrific program, that cost me $45.00 per month and everything you needed to sell products was available.

As the years went by I got sick and closed my business account and just kept the Halloween site. You can buy these sites cheaper than what I pay. I pay $12.95 a month and have paid that forever. I had one upgrade that took me from $9.95 a month to the $12.95 a month and the upgrade was because I needed more room for pictures. Being retired and as sick as I have been over the last several years I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed my site. It went from just the festivities at my house on Halloween to this ridiculously, absolutely humongous site that I use with everything I enjoy from Halloween to cemeteries and beyond. I just keep packing more and more of my interest in there and I still have a lot of subjects to explore in the future.

Over the last several years I had encountered a few problems with both sites but Yahoo is just a phone call away and their customer service people are wonderful, they always helped me get back on track no matter what the problem was.I have 100% access to the site and can change anything I want to in the drop of a dime. I needed an account like that for my candy business but it also works great on my Halloween site. Its a self contained program so everything you need to build the site is handy. Another thing I love about it is being able to store the content on their server so if anything happens to my work they have a full copy of everything and they saved my files more than once. The tools in both their business sites and the personal sites are identical so its very easy to learn.

A couple of years ago I had business cards made for my Halloween attraction. I did that because we shot a photo of each family that came through our house and I would post them on picturetrail. My name on picturetrail is "Muffy 7", that is where we posted our family photos, it was just easier to give them a card than to try and write down the info where the pictures could be found.

I never did anything anywhere else, for me its easier just to keep up the web-site. My goals for 2020 are to keep adding information about subjects I like. My food section is huge because my family was all in the food business and I do enjoy recipes and food history and unusual foods. This year I hope to broaden my projects pages. I will also mention I do update my site every July, that's when I start searching for the festivals and things that will be coming for the new season so I change and add the dates of the activities coming up.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use and I'm sure it will bring you great satisfaction. I always enjoy going in there because its full of my favorite time of year and its so much fun to look back on all we did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had trouble getting into my old account so I see this is just starting me out. Old account was just under Muffy. Web-site is Collinwood841.com on Yahoo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm Looking for Frankie's Girl>>>>>>>If you find this here I hope you can help me out. When I tried to sign up to be able to post it just would not work with my old name. My account was listed under Muffy. Is there anyway we could fix this so I can still use my old account? I hate to lose all the stuff that goes along with my old name.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,872 Posts
I'm Looking for Frankie's Girl>>>>>>>If you find this here I hope you can help me out. When I tried to sign up to be able to post it just would not work with my old name. My account was listed under Muffy. Is there anyway we could fix this so I can still use my old account? I hate to lose all the stuff that goes along with my old name.

Sent you a PM/private conversation with instructions to contact our admin. :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
A website with a linked Instagram account would be my suggestion. I follow a few Halloween bloggers who do that and it works for them. I wouldn’t bother with FB.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm looking into google sites for an inexpensive way to set up a journal/website for showcasing some of my projects. It is a little light on features but very easy to get to grips with and free which is a big plus. It can handle widgets so you can get feeds set up for facebook, twitter and I think instagram so you can have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a FB page, Miss Caroluna's Halloween Academy. It was simple and the only reason I set it up was that I had so many folks, who were not my FB friends, asking about pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank You very much pumpkinheadedskeleton! It is pretty crazy in there and there is a lot of text that you can find links to that is not listed in the page schedule. Things pop up occasionally that even surprise me because I forgot some of the stuff I put in there, but its a lot of fun for me! Glad you enjoyed it!

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
551 Posts
A website is better for Static content: Pictures, videos and articles that will not change. Social Media is better for dynamic content, new and short term updates. Best is a mix of both. Use the Website as the host of the media, and then reference it from Social Media.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts