Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several years I have been toiling with the idea of starting my own Halloween themed website. I have been waiting until I had enough content; at least interesting stuff that people would actually want to look at. I think I'm finally ready to share my twisted thoughts and ghastly images with everyone. So what is your preference for viewing such content (website or facebook). I'm still trying to decide if I want to invest the time and money to have full control over my content or give-it-all-over to the overseer's at facebook. Any thoughts or suggestions. (Perhaps I can take over PumpkinRots website since he's not posting anymore???? Who am I kidding no one could replace Rot).

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've seen more of a combination of both. Social media is for daily (or whenever) updates, and then people use that social media to drive people to their website for more specifics/details and blog posts.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,480 Posts
Ugh. I frickin' hate social media in general. Don't let Zuckerberg have your stuff!! Eff that dude. IMHO & MHO ONLY that dude has done more harm than good in general.

But sadly, that is how the world runs today. If it were me, I'd keep the website #1 priority then use Twitter, Youtube, &/or any other social media that isn't owned by Zuckerberg.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,271 Posts
I think Facebook etc is good for updates, and even as the main site for a hobby or other small venture--no need to invest the money for a website for that.

HOWEVER, for a business or other serious venture, relying solely on social media looks bush league to me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Fakebook is garbage. Expect your content to vanish after a day or so and be lost in the ether as it is replaced with other content which people can only view in that tiny little amount of space Fakebook takes away from advertisements to devote to your content. Use a website.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
I tend to avoid FB as well. Personally if you have a lot of things/info to share a website will give a deeper view or understanding of it and be more helpful.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,480 Posts
I do believe that if you want to get serious about anything, especially selling anything, from Halloween to your own business (whatever it happens to be), you have to have at least ONE social media account AND a website. It's just the way things work today.

The one thing I hate though is when someone has a contest & it's ONLY on one platform, usually Facebook. They're assuming EVERYONE has FB/Twitter/Insta/etc., & as you can tell from just these few responses, not everyone uses those all or any of sites.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
My DIY site has been around for 25 years and people can still find it. When I started it there was no social media beyond usenet, then we moved to Livejournal, and Myspace, and then Facebook. Site is still right where it has always been, well after I moved it off Geocities well before the turn of the century.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would say website also. Have a facebook account but don't do much with it. And real rare I post on it or even post on anybody elses page. Plus things get lost in it if I don't see it on the first page I don't see it as I rarely go looking for posts or scroll down to far.

·
Registered
921 Posts
We're doing the same thing. We have such a small audience of actual visitors on Halloween, we thought it would be fun to show off what we do to a larger audience. While our happy little haunt will have a social media presence, we are relying on a website to show off our work. For one very simple reason. We want a certain look, and that can only be done on a personal website.

Facebook and Instagram let you show off your pictures. YouTube lets you show off your videos. But you're restricted to their formats and presentation options. Facebook won't let you hang spiderwebs around the place no matter how much you want them too. Only a personal website lets you create the background, choose the color palate, and lets you decide how your visitors will wander around. You control the content. There's no pressure from corporate to update every day or hold to editorial guidelines. In short, you're your own boss and beholding to no one. For us that was important enough to invest a bit of extra cash into creating our own website.

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
I've had my own site for quite a while. Started free on Blogger, and moved on to it's own hosting. I don't update it as much as I should, probably, but one thing that I've found invaluable that you just don't get the same anywhere else: I host my own pics there.

All other photo hosting sites have let me down in one way or another, so by damn, I just host my own. Only way they'll get erased is if I quit paying the bills, and I can share them where I want, thank you very much, without losing any copyrights.

I do have some Facebook and Instagram as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I do believe that if you want to get serious about anything, especially selling anything, from Halloween to your own business (whatever it happens to be), you have to have at least ONE social media account AND a website. It's just the way things work today.

The one thing I hate though is when someone has a contest & it's ONLY on one platform, usually Facebook. They're assuming EVERYONE has FB/Twitter/Insta/etc., & as you can tell from just these few responses, not everyone uses those all or any of sites.
I know typically you post the virtual market for KC on here, just wondering if you have gone to market yet and seen the new collection for Halloween 2020?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I prefer websites, but you need to think of your target audience, if you wish to reach a younger crowd social media is a must. I don't like to deal in stereo types but the younger crowd is seldom seen without thier phones being plugged in to social media. The current trend is instant gratification.

I had a personal website for about 10 years that was hobby related. It is more work than you expect, and you need to keep it current or folks will quit visiting. On the plus side having a place to share your projects and not worry about them being purged over time is totally worth it! :)

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,528 Posts
Hows that term go? Eff social media! In the wise words of Mama Boucher... social media is the devil. A lot of people I know avoid it like the plague. I refuse to sign up.

Almost everyone will visit a website, but many people hate social media so you lose a large segment of the population. Promote things on social media, sure, but my opinion is that it should point people to your website.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ugh. I frickin' hate social media in general. Don't let Zuckerberg have your stuff!! Eff that dude. IMHO & MHO ONLY that dude has done more harm than good in general.

But sadly, that is how the world runs today. If it were me, I'd keep the website #1 priority then use Twitter, Youtube, &/or any other social media that isn't owned by Zuckerberg.
MEWE claims to not track or sell your personal info. you might want to check that site out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use FB, but spend more time, and more in depth time on websites. Social media seems so hit and run, and a well planned website is a joy to peruse and spend my time on.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Do both.

Write for your website and then post it on social media (fb, Twitter and Instagram... Maybe even pinterest). This way you drive traffic to your site from social.

Your website becomes the home base and social media becomes your marketing strategy. You want to go where your audience is.

Instagram lets you post to their site, Facebook and Twitter one just one click. Might be a time saver if you're feeling overwhelmed by having to have a presence everywhere.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts