Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple of props getting damaged last year due to high winds, I'm trying a new approach to building the lower half of a body to make it more sturdy. I'm using 2x3's for the legs and attaching them to a 2'x2' with L brackets. Doing so then leaves the question on how to attach the shoes. I could cut a hole in each shoe and slip it over the wood but I hesitate in cutting them up because I may want to use them again for something else next season.

What's your way of attaching shoes to a standing prop?

Editing to add: I have one prop that will be standing in my driveway so I won't be able to use rebar.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,550 Posts
All of my standing props are made using pvc pipe. I drill holes in the bottom of the shoes and use rebar to secure the legs/feet. The rebar goes through the hole in the shoe and into the ground, and the pvc legs slip over the rebar and into the shoes. I get cheap shoes/footwear at Goodwill so when they get cut up it's no loss. The standing figure in the pic shows this.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I do the same exact thing as jdubbya. As for the prop in your driveway, I guess it depends on how you intend to support it.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I don't have shoes on my props...and I have never had anyone ask me why. However, if I ever decide to put shoe/boots on a prop, I would go the same route as jdubbya

·
Undertaker
3,264 Posts
All of my zombies are made of PVC and slip over 1/2" rebar. The shoes have a hole drilled in the bottoms and the rebar is inserted thru the hole and into the PVC. I have a few slight variations of the same method if the subject has feet...etc. The rebar is pounded into the ground and is quite sturdy.

Last year's Grandma zombie was rushed into service and was completed using this method. I mounted her to a board instead and one of her legs was merely placed in front of the PVC. Its one of the things I need to fix this year. Its one of the things I need to fix this year. This is a picture of grand ma prior to padding and painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
When I made this little guy, I used cement. I put bags inside his shoes, poured the cement in and then put pvc pipe into it to use as his legs. he was a short prop though so don't know how it would work on a full size one. And his shoes were high tops so the cement worked pretty well, you could probably use a pair of boots. I've also put holes in the bottom of the shoes, and slid the rebar right into the ground. Shoes are cheap at garage sales.

DSC00142 - Copy.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts