did a Google search again and I was thinking something way different than a 3' prop. I don't know why but in my mind I was picturing something maybe 3" that people could walk around and get the feeling that one wrong step would send them to an endless fall..still a cool prop that I might try out
Eh, I'm really just working out what's what. So, thus far:
- I think I have a theme worked out. No spoilers, but I think we can do this one pretty well without many new props.
- Photo booth is go, so now I just need to build the actual booth, make up some curtains, and acquire some tablet junk like screen protector, mounting gear, and some kind of security lock for peace of mind.
- My costume will take up a lot of my time right now. Mockups 1 & 2 are done, now I'm acquiring sample fabrics and parts for the foundation. Once that's (mostly) done, I can start making up a muslin for the dress to fit overtop. And then an expletive-load of embellishment by hand. Joy...
- Gotta think about other costumes that fit the theme.
- My walls need a little improvement to help with wind issues - mostly adding some more bracing at the bottom. Might be cutting black plastic to fit each panel, rather than long pieces - again, wind issues killed me last year and I want to prevent as much as I can. Of note, I have a scar on my foot from where I dropped the scissors last year when cutting plastic to fit.
- Gotta paint some rather large banners, and make some lit signs
- Need a plan for the porch. I have some general ideas, but it just needs more time to stew. This is kind of the "safe" space where kids get their candy, as well as the slow-time hangout for us, so I have to balance table and chairs and such with theme and lighting. :/
- Ah, lighting. I think I've got this part pretty well down.
- A few special fire effects in some windows. This is mostly acquiring materials and putting them together. Inspired by Silver Dollar City's Fire in the Hole ride.
- Shadow projector experiments for green "not a laser" vortex effect. Working on this.
- I'm sure there are repairs to be done.
- Need to map out everything, decide what props go where.
- Maybe this is the year I finally build an axeworthy?
I dunno, I have too many ideas and not a lot written down or finalized just yet. But I had to get started, because my local friendly competition appear to be working quite hard - they've acquired much more space, they built a spinning tunnel...and then they put up palette walls in front of the windows so I can't see what all they're up to. But they've been there a lot lately! And I'm not going to be outdone. XD
Fairly simple this year,
1. Improve lettering/distressing on existing tombstones.
2. Sew a better cape for my Halloween night witch costume (my yearly hand-out-candy costume)
3. Voodoo on the Bayou party - I'd like to make a photo backdrop, figure out how to make the dining room look like a swamp, and build a "witches pantry/shelf" for a display. Lots of little details to add for this as well.
4. Purchase a laster vortex. Last year's build went very poorly.
1. monster mud reaper - still have to make blade for the scythe and put weather protective coating on it
2. new coffin - have to get my prop controller and other goodies to make it open and close
3. air cannon - need to get controller, solenoid and air tank
4. need a few more skeletons
5. NEED CANDY, CANDY, AND YES MORE CANDY...
Like Bert above, I have to build a storage shed before I do anything Halloween related...unfortunately, the weather isn't cooperating so I can't level the ground until the rain stops...so that might be it this year.
1. Finish setting up my workshop in the new house (this one is gating everything else, of course).
2. Finally finish my flying crank ghost.
3. Build/acquire a couple more tombstones for the newly acquired yard.
4. Build my own rising ghost projector. I've got all the parts, I just need to put them together.
5. Get my animatronic witch head up and running.
This will be my second Halloween in the house and first year trying to DIY props. The most important thing currently is to clear out all the crap the previous owners left in the shed and convert it to a functional work space with storage above. After that:
-Make a rough sketch of the 2014 set up
-Reinforce existing tombstones to prevent them falling over
-Finally make a "Dead and Breakfast" sign for our lamppost
-Trial runs using the projector
-Re-do the foam "boards" for the windows
-Make several spider egg sacs for one of the trees out front
Build a new cemetery fence approx 40X80 ft.
Reinforce tombstones with Terra's pvc & rebar technique.
Make another packing tape ghost~this time in a flowing ball gown.
Make at least 1- 7' tall reaper a la Stiltbeast instructions.
1 freaky scarecrow pumpkinrot~style.
Paint a jail line-up photo op canvas.
Re-do lit el cheapo archway into skull archway.
Adding new scene to haunt: Voodoo Swamp. Need to have hunny build
swamp shack. I need to do papier mache frogs, bone witch chimes, shred
& dye fabric for 'spanish moss'.
Somehow squeeze all of this in between my #2 son's wedding, 3 living history reenactments &
my Dad's 50th wedding anniversary party.
Did I mention my middle name is procrastination