Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Reaper Queen
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen quite a few churches advertising trunk or treat, for halloween, I hate it, I already don't get many kids, and if the ones I have go there, it'll be awful!! One street I saw 2 churches a block apart advertising trunk or treat, if I was a kid there, I'd walk hit both of them, plus the neighborhoods near them, make out like crazy! Churches or malls like that are taking away a great part of childhood memories, TOTing, in the dark, the smell of autumn with the leaves, the whole experience. Things are too PC now , or something. I think it is a shame!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My kid's preschool did it for them during the day at school. It was fun for them but of course we would go TOT at night too! I agree, I would do both and hit the houses in between :D . I think some people look at trunk or treating as "safer" than going door to door...it must be sad being them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Trunk or Treat is basically (I think, heard from friend.) where you can decorate
your car (trunk.) or basically just park and give out candy.

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
B O R I N G boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ug i can't stand it either. a friend and i were just discussing this the other day.

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Yeah, basically a bunch of OTT church worshipers all get together and park their station wagons in a church or school carpark, open up their trunks and possibly hang a small paper ghost from it, however the ghost must be smiling otherwise that person will be kicked out of the Trunk or Treat and future church meetings for worshipping Satan.

Also any small paper ghosts that obscure the view of the "I <3 Jesus" bumper sticker is also strictly frowned upon.

The church goer's then stand around and say things like "come here lil' ones. they ain't gon' bite'cha" as the kids horribly dressed as such things as Moses and Abraham stick their hand into a basket and receive such Halloween delights as carrot sticks and fruit cups. If they're extra lucky they may get a small bible.

This is all because god forbid the kids go regular trick or treating a psychopath child rapist will occupy every house and they will never be seen again. That and the devil...he's out there on halloween night too.

Think i pretty much summed it up there right?

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
"What is trunk or treat?"

It's the knee-jerk reaction of simple-minded sheep, to a threat that isn't there.

You could have your kids trick or treat in the traditional way, or you can teach them to be greedy, lazy, and afraid of everyone.

·
Reaper Queen
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
`the simple description of trunk or treat is folks in a parking lot, passin out candy from their trunks in order to , depending on the church denomination, keep kids safe, or save them from the evil devil worsipping holiday. Or like lurks in the shadows said, "simple minded sheep " reacting badly to what should just be a fun day.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Now, that's not entirely fair. It really depends on the area. We CAN'T trick or treat in our neighborhood - the entire area is countryside, the "subdivisions" are really 5-10 acre lots (with about half of them fenced and gated). There are a ton of wild animals and no street lights, some roads are even unpaved. It's NOT TOT friendly. Heck, it's not even worth it to decorate the house (we don't). We're lucky in that our subdivision (POA) does do a fall festival, with a TOT walk through the POA park (people set up decorated folding tables or out of their cars), ending up at our haunted house. But not all subdivisions do that. The nearby town does a Trunk or Treat, which is nice for kids to go to and at least experience SOME sort of Halloween. They get to dress up, dress up their vehicle, and get out a little. Which beats sitting at home watching reruns of "Halloween" for the umpteenth time.

Stacy

·
Registered
214 Posts
Trunk or Treat is basically (I think, heard from friend.) where you can decorate
your car (trunk.) or basically just park and give out candy.
I actually set up games in the back of my Expedition. So do alot of the others who participate. Our church always does it on a Sunday in the afternoon and never during Hween night. Its fun! They have a jump house or two. And the kids get to wear their costumes again. They don't do they anti-evil or anything like that.

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
Blasphemy! Simply it should be banned! No if and's or buts!

There are a ton of wild animals and no street lights, some roads are even unpaved.
Oh my Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, oh my and gravel roads how uncivilized! If you life in the "sticks' take the kids into town to TOT. Part of what makes Halloween such a great holiday growing up for the TOT's is going door for candy and not going from a Chevy to a Ford!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
A lot depends on the denomination. some churches set it up so that it won't conflict with regular TOT hours. Others do it as a "safe alternative" to traditional TOT'ing. We have a martial arts studio a block away who held an indoor Halloween party for kids on Halloween night. On the eleven o'clock news that night the owner was interviewed and said they did this to "celebrate the light of Jesus Christ, and not the darkness that is Halloween." The funny part was that when the kids left the studio, they saw our house and came anyway for a little "darkness." I'm not opposed to the concept, but what pisses me of is the fact that these self righteous boors feel they must offer an alternative to anything. Leave Halloween alone and appreciate the traditions that come with it. Let the kids experience the night as it was meant to be. I also see the trunk or treat fad as another example of the growing laziness of the American culture. Hell, I can buy some cheap candy, skip deocrating my house and not carve a pumpkin, sit on my ass in my car and hand out candy in a parking lot, then drive home. How convenient. I look at the hundreds of hours I put into doing Halloween each year and frown on thes folks who won't make any effort. I don't know if trunk or treat or fall festivals pose any real threat to traditional Halloween activities, but the trend seems to be growing. Close minded religious zealots are by far the scariest things we'll encounter on Halloween.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I went to a Trunk-Or-Treat last year, but it wasn't on Halloween. They're having another one this year, again not on Halloween. I don't think it's any substitute for regular trick-or-treating, but it can be fun. The one I went to was pretty cool... people really decorated their cars, came in spooky costumes, told ghost stories, had a hayride... I think it depends on the church throwing the thing what it's like.

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
I don't believe in, or support Trunk or Treat but sometimes alternatives are needed. My grandson lives in a small town that doesn't have many sidewalks so the children end up walking in the street after dark. But what this small community does, is to go all out decorating the Community Hall for a party and block off the "three blocks" of the downtown area so the little kids can parade in their costumes and get rides in the fire engine before it gets dark. Our community has started a very large community haunt and service groups are donating funds to buy more props each year. I don't think those options take away from established home haunts any more than having Santa at the mall takes away from the excitement of going to see houses that are lit up like a Christmas fantasy land, caroling and drinking hot chocolate...with a peppermint stirring stick. But I'm a bit shy about expressing my humble opinions so don't throw any rotten tomatoes OK?

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
jdubbya,

Exactly! You nailed it exactly.

Close minded religious zealots are by far the scariest things we'll encounter on Halloween.
Can you say Taliban? And we don't think it can happen here? Sorry folks we already have our own version of the Taliban living among us, their religion may not be Muslin, but they are here right next door. Call me paranoid, but the more trunk or treats and "fall festivals" in place of Halloween really makes me wonder? If you need more convincing what about no more Santa, and Christmas becomes the "winter festival"? It only takes a few to rule the many as the poor people in to many countries past and present have found out.

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
You know Spookzilla there is nothing I love more than seeing someone as shy as I am about expressing their opinion. I don't believe in Trunk or Treat, Fall or Winter Festivals...and the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus are very real in my world and always will be. But I don't want to talk about that thing that lives under the bed or the dolls that must remain locked in the closet at night OK?

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
But I don't want to talk about that thing that lives under the bed or the dolls that must remain locked in the closet at night OK?
Awh Madame, don't you like feeling those bumps in the night under your bed or those faint cries from the closet? I know I do because it makes me feel so safe and secure. :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts