Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the longest time that you have had your pumpkins from Halloween before they rotted. I mean, uncut and un glazed pumpkins. My goal has been to try to have the same pumpkin for 2 Halloweens in a row. I think the longest has been about 6 months. I had one that lasted till the end of March/beginning of April. I guess I am searching for the pumpkin that will not die or the living dead pumpkin:D

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
We bought a couple of pumpkins from a store in Massachusetts about mid October in 2007 and brought them back to FL. I ended up not carving them because I had emergency surgery on the 25th. We had them sitting in the den until after Easter! So made it to April, then one got a soft spot so we threw them out.

I had considered carving them for Easter!
:D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am counting on the one I have now. Unfortunately, It was under a heating vent for the last 2 couple of months. This may shorten the life of it.

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
7 months If the pumpkin freezes after halloween it usually does not thaw until usually mid may, i had one freeze solid then get covered in snow did not realize it was there untill the spring thaw in may it was like new because it froze but as soon as it warmed up it turned to jello

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi ter_ran..ya, those fake ones tend to be hard to kill...

Hello ihauntu..7 months is a real long time...I am not sure if it qualifies because it was frozen.. We will need to consult the great pumpkin to find out:D

I guess the record so far is 6 months. That being under normal conditions. I guess IshWitch and myself have the 2 longest living so far...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
We usually have pumpkins still in April. I usually put them in the compost in spring because I don't want to accidentally forget about them. We have several right now in different colors (green, white and a small orange). They are doing well so far. I've been arranging and grouping them according to whatever holiday it is. I'm going to miss them when they rot, because they have become part of the decor now! Let's see, how should I set them up for Groundhog Day???LOL!

·
Registered
410 Posts
We had one last just over 8 months. It was outside the front doorway and went through a hard freeze (for Houston) that killed several of my plants, but in the end I think it was the heat of summer (the heat is on around the end of April) that finally did it in. Its story and picture are included in the link below:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/90382-undead-pumpkin.html

I like to keep pumpkins around as long as they'll last. They remind me of Halloween, plus there's something about that orange color that I like.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hmmmm, hard to say. We start growing them in February but they don't set pumpkins until March/June. We try to keep them alive. Some die but some live until after Thanksgiving or until we harvest seeds & toss into the compost

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts