Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my very last Tot pulled into my driveway in their car. Mother and son come walking up to my front porch. I went to give him some candy and she said we don't even need the candy, my son said he we just had to see "The Creepy House"!! :D She said they intentionally drive by my house each year just to see my decorations. Made my Halloween worth while:D:D:D

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had many people say wow this house is great. And some asked how long it took to build everything. And how did
you build this and build that...Had alot of wow's..... that makes it all worth it when people enjoy your haunt :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I didn't have any one specific compliment but when children just stand there with their mouths open and walk away without even getting their candy.... that's compliment enough. Many parents using my set up as a backdrop to take a photo with their kids. Many people just taking video and a lot of "Great Jobs".

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had a lot of people taking pictures and videos of the atmosfx in the window. One couple with their kid said they loved the decorations and the house. The lady said it all fits with the style of your house. I'm guessing she meant that our house looks creepy, which is a big compliment in my book lol.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,102 Posts
Got a lot of "love your decorations" and "your house looks great", which is always wonderful, but I def. enjoyed the most the little boy who was in awe because my house could make smoke (fog machine was in the front bushes).

·
Registered
60 Posts
About a week ago while doing my setup, I saw a girl on the school bus staring at my yard. I thought that maybe I'd gone too far, because her eyes were wide. But last night she came by the yard with her parents, who said that she made them walk the extra four blocks to see it because she'd been watching it every day! Made my night.

·
Registered
246 Posts
"You have the best house in the neighborhood." Along with dozens of "Love the decorations", "Great job", "Very well done".

However, the one that stuck out the most to me was yesterday volunteering at my daughter's school, and a random 7 year old approached me who I never seen or met before. He asked me "Are you Carissa's dad?" After saying Yes he said, "I love your house and all your decorations, very cool." I said "thank you with, glad you liked it!" with a big smile on my face.

Finally, even though it's not really a verbal compliment. I love when I see families posing in front of my house, taking family pictures next to a few of my props. That to me made all the time put in and stress worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had a mom say to me we were the van driving by all day "i was easing my son into visiting your place" they showed up that night but he did not stay long :)
maybe next year . lots of people taking pics and watching my dancing skeletons projected on garage door.
all in all everybody had a fantastic time.

·
Registered
516 Posts
When people comlimented the makeup job I did on myself and kiddos. I was told I "should win a prize for it." Made me smile! Made the kids happy to be complimented all night long.

·
The Haunting Girl
962 Posts
Best one of the night? Sister of our landlord gushing over the whole yard. She was saying that when she lived in California that she'd visit the yards of people who worked in Hollywood and our yard was right on par with them. I'm no Hollywood Haunter, but it was nice to hear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
"They do it right."

Also, the number of teens that came as far as the first porch step, then looked up and saw me with my Steampunk Slenderman costume and immediately backpedaled.

In spite of the forecast calling for gusty winds and cooler temps, the fog worked out quite well for a change, so there were a number of kids and adults commenting on my "smoke".

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had one mother who exclaimed "I walk by here every morning. None of this was here then!" (20 tombstones, blue floods, singing pumpkins in a 20 pumpkin patch [some real, some fake, some lit], atmosfearx projections, 60' of cemetery fences with 2 gates, spider webs all over the place, etc...) I told her I was as shocked as she was, and it was like the whole thing just appeared out of nowhere! I said it with a straight face, and handed her little girl a treat bag. When she walks by this morning, she'll see it's all gone and wonder if it was even there the night before?

The other great comment was the father who, after dropping his daughter at home, came back to ask where to buy the singing pumpkin set up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Best comment I heard (daughter to her dad): "Um, why don't you go up and get the candy and I'll just wait here."

Also, moms wanting to take my picture with their kids! At least three moms requested pics and that was a first for me. Also, everybody loved Woof Woof, the animatronic werewolf. I sweated it out a little, because Spirt of Halloween animatronics have bit of a reputation for breaking down, but he worked a like a charm all night--whew!

He was scary, but not so much that folks didn't go in for a closer look. Lots of folks took photos and video of Woof Woof in action--parents even took pictures of their kids with him, too! One of my neighbors told me kids were saying we had the scariest house on the street. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
My cousin came by. He's known me since birth, he always appreciates my decorations, but he came by, and then went home and brought his father and brothers back to see it. He told me that I've outdone myself this year.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
My best complement did not come on Halloween night. I was talking to one of my neighbors and she confided in me that she and her husband were considering moving three months ago. Their kids all said they did not want to move because they did not want to leave my Halloween Cemetery. That made me feel like what I do really means something to the kids.

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
With rain in the forecast this year we didn't do much on Halloween Day. Set up an indoor window display and some stuff at the garage and our court yard and added lighting. One young kid asked me how I got the werewolf in the window with the full moon there. He sounded amazed. Thought that was cute. Wasn't expecting really any comments on our set up this year. However, we did have 2 different sets of couples walking with their kids who told us that they loved our Brain Transfer set up last year. One husband went on to say they remembered our house and was hoping we redid it this year for his kid to sit with the gorilla again. The other couple mentioned they thought that was really clever what we did last year and it was lots of fun. So nice to hear their comments and thanked them for telling us. So for not so stellar of a year this year, the comments made it worth sitting out in the cold this year.

·
Registered
379 Posts
We did a camping thing the weekend before Halloween. All the campsites are decorated and kids trick or treat. It's so alive and fun! Anyway we had a bunch of people tell us that ours was the best campsite. Lots of compliments all weekend. Really made it all worth while. On Halloween night there were a lot of people who wanted their pictures made with my husband. He was Freddie Krueger. I took that as a compliment because I did his make up. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello All,

Hope everyone had a great Halloween.

We got a lot of "We love your house", "This House is Awesome", "You guy's always have the best house". All of the comments were honestly great to hear. Makes you know all the hard work you put into, paid off!

I also think seeing people stand across the street taking pictures of the house is a great compliment too! (along with some props as well)

My favorite compliment though, and I hear it every year, are kids screaming down the street, "I WANT TO GO TO THE BLUE HOUSE"...Gets me every time! lol
IMG_20161101_065219.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Craig,

I do the whole "setup and take down in one day" as well.

Had a kid last year, a few days after Halloween, tell me how much he liked the decorations, but wondered how they got there, and where did they go? I said, "I have no idea what your talking about. You have the right house?" He was speechless!

BCR

1 - 20 of 75 Posts