Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow thanks again to everyone for helping me out. We are thinking of a witches kitchen and this was the onyl thing I wasn't sure about. Really appreciate all the imput.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You did a GREAT job on the potion jars Bella! The special edges makes an extra-nice touch! I like the rope tied to the top....I hadn't thought of that either. I made jars last year, at the last minute....but didn't actually have any cool empty jars, so I just slapped the labels onto whatever jars and containers that I had on the bathroom shelf. It wasn't great, but it was all that I could do at the time. I used to have a homemade signs that I put in a window by the walkway, with potion jars, and stuff on it, but for some reason I got rid of it years ago. I really got a kick out of it, but none of the TOT"s looked at it when they came to the door. I thought about making some small shelves to put in the window with actual jars, instead of a picture, but I've already put something else in the window this year, so maybe I'll find a place inside and make a few jars too. You've inspired me! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just thought of another idea for something to go inside potion jars....but it would take to prepare.....if you can sprout an avocado seed then put it in a jar (maybe upside down?) it sure would look creepy with all of the roots coming out of the seed.....especially with a drop of food coloring added to water, or even with no liquid in the jar. Not sure what to call it, but maybe, Swamp Monster? or Creature from the Black Lagoon?
You'd probably want to start sprouting your avocado seed now....probably should have started a month or so ago to get a lot of roots. I like to put a seed in the top of a clear bud vase.....a large seed will set right in the top, without falling through the narrow part of the vase, and no toothpicks required!

·
Registered
514 Posts
FANTASTIC! Y'all are just so amazing! I made a couple myself already. I used tinsel for unicorn hair in one and that flakey snow with a hint of glitter for crushed pixie wings. Oh I cannot wait to make more! Thank you all the wonderful ideas.

·
Beware of the wand!
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I actually found some food items that I'm going to use - just replace the label.

Capers - Witches Warts
Quartered Red Bell Peppers - they look like some kind of tongue.
Whole Red Chili Peppers
Dried Green Grapes - look like ogre boogers, lol.

I forget what else I picked up. Need to take another look. Got some good stuff on the Asian and Mexican food isle at the store.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This may not be the right place for this post, but I have a quick question about GID liquid. I know that highlighters soaked in water will glow. Also some laundry detergents and tonic water. My question is about the laundry detergent. Do you just mix it with water and it will glow, or do you have to use it full strength? Also as for the tonic water does it glow for a long time, or does is die down after a while. Do any of these things have an effect on the ingredients in your jars? I guess that was 3 questions too. I know these might be silly questions but I just don't know the answer to them, and I am willing to bet one of you will. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
This may not be the right place for this post, but I have a quick question about GID liquid. I know that highlighters soaked in water will glow. Also some laundry detergents and tonic water. My question is about the laundry detergent. Do you just mix it with water and it will glow, or do you have to use it full strength? Also as for the tonic water does it glow for a long time, or does is die down after a while. Do any of these things have an effect on the ingredients in your jars? I guess that was 3 questions too. I know these might be silly questions but I just don't know the answer to them, and I am willing to bet one of you will. :)
I'm putting all of my jars together and making labels today and have wondered about the same things. (That's why I decided to rummage through this thread for extra ideas).

Just to be safe, the only things I put water (with highlighter felts) into is rubber or plastic toys like spider, rats, those growing bugs or brains, etc. For anything that can really decompose, I am leaving them dry (spices, pasta pieces, etc.). I've heard about the laundry detergent glowing but highlighters from the dollar store are cheap enough that I didn't even want to bother with the detergents.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Hmmm, I'm getting ready to put up my potion area now, as we just about finished putting outside stuff up. If I can remember:

Instant witches brew: green sand, random potpourri things, green glitter, some stick like things that happened to look like small bones, dried nuts/seeds in shells.
Spawn of Jack-o-lantern: I used crayola model magic and made my own pumpkin seeds (so they would last forever), painted them with light yellow wash and set them on a bed of moss in a jar.
Eye of Newt: i made tiny newt size eyes out of more crayola model magic and permanent marker
Witch hazel (dried): used more potpourri stuff, some crushed and some looked like the seed pockets that form on witch hazel, and some dried parsley. (later i will order real dried witch hazel if i get the cash)
Cobweb shreds: easy, shredded fake spider webbing
Toadstool clippings: more model magic, formed into mushroom shapes, then sliced/clipped to diff sizes and painted in browns and such.
Fur of Werewolf: lol, the real (brushed out) fur of two of my darling kitties! close enough to werewolves...:D
Vampire fangs: made fangs out of model magic, painted with a scatterd wash of pale yellow and tipped with dried blood.
Pixie Dust: blue, pink and green glitter mixed with super fine iridescent white glitter.
Twisted twigs: easy, washed, different sizes of twigs from the back yard.
Graveyard dust: soot and charcoal dust from the grill ash catcher. (though about adding a pinch of real cemetery dust/dirt too later, lol, we will see)
Swamp Fog and Essence of Death: both may stay empty, because you acnt really see fog or essence. i may play around with those later though...
Pumpkin Juice: orange water
Vampire blood: red water/fake blood later.
Love potion: pink water
Ghost tears: water
Phoenix Tears: water
Oil of deadly nightshade: baby oil/water
Life renewal potion: purple water

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same here. There are only a few things that I am adding liquid to. I also have a huge green glass bottle and want to put a grow toy hand in it, but I kinda want that in bottle that will glow. Has anyone else put any blacklight reactive fluid in a green glass bottle and had it glow?

·
Registered
97 Posts
what is the best way to fix the paper labels to the jars? I have sealed some with clear nail polish, but not sure if white glue (PVA) will work on the glass. Love to hear what you all use :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Oooh, I'll have to look through my labels and see if have any.

There are several images from google that you could "borrow" and adapt - using powerpoint or paint.
Some examples ...

Rusty_Nail_1.jpg rustynail2.jpg rustynail3.jpg rustynail4.jpg

·
Registered
503 Posts
As an added note, a friend is in training to be a Funeral Director so I was able to acquire some empty embalming bottles - perfect for my Mortician scene!

IMGP1257.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone got a lable for dead/dried fairies and pixies/sprites? I have a string of 4" skeletons I wish to label and I am not so great with label making :) thanks

41 - 60 of 74 Posts