Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To state the obvious, Halloween is my very favorite day of the year (otherwise I may not be here in mid-February.) One of my favorite Halloween traditions has always been trick or treating, but the fact is that I'm 24 and childless, so it is no longer socially acceptable for me to participate. While I did go in 2013, I stopped myself last year because I was worried about being called out on "looking too old." I was so bored that I was just ready for the night to be over, and that just isn't like me on Halloween. Passing out candy isn't an option where I live. I'm weary of throwing a party because I had one last year that failed miserably (no one showed up.) The one haunted house in my town is ridiculously overpriced, and they really don't do anything else in my area for the occasion that is geared toward the adult crowd. It's a difficult situation, but can anyone think of something I can do for Halloween this year?

·
Registered
536 Posts
You could always check with the haunted house in your town, and see if they are taking volunteers to be actors. A lot of haunted houses (especially those run by organizations and clubs for charities) love to have enthusiastic actors in their operations, and offering to volunteer is an almost guaranteed way of getting in.

Another option would be to see if any clubs or organizations are doing any kind of events or parties in the area, you could help out or just attend. I know its not popular to mention this on here, but some areas do have trunk-or-treats. While I can already feel the hisses and boos coming my way :D these kinds of events are sometimes a good option when you live in a more secluded area. I used to live out in the country in NC, and if we had not had the 4H club Trunk-or-Treat, there would have been no trick or treating.

The last option is to just go trick-or-treating, and don't worry about what other people think. If anybody says anything about your age, just ignore it and have a great time. I pretty much give candy to whoever rings the doorbell, actually, whenever a family comes up with a small child, I always make sure to give the parents some candy as well. After all, its supposed to be fun for everybody, not just kids. Hope you find a fun way to spend your holiday this year. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
Which part of Michigan?

I was in that boat about that age. Well, sorta. I quit trick or treating at 8 years old and started haunting. But, we were in a no good neighborhood for haunting and I had no kids to take around either. Friends didn't show up at the party, really bummed.

Afraid I don't have a great answer. What I did was what I termed 'reverse trick or treating'. I decked out in costume and wandered around handing out treats on the crowded streets.

This worked great in one old neighborhood where people regularly roamed the street. The year I tried it in my in-law's neighborhood I was damn near thrown in jail. Cannot recommend it in this day and age.

Now, were I single at the time, some of the college or club parties would have been intruiging.

Might also think about working at the haunt, or even smaller things going on in the area.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
...While I can already feel the hisses and boos coming my way :D these kinds of events are sometimes a good option when you live in a more secluded area. I used to live out in the country in NC, and if we had not had the 4H club Trunk-or-Treat, there would have been no trick or treating.
*Hiiiiiiissss*:p Really, I do not see the big deal if it is among the only options, whether because of the area being unsafe or out in the boonies. The only truly bad part of trunk-or-treat is that the amount of candy is often specified, so it is not for those on a budget; years ago, there was a flyer for the city hall's, stating that each participant was obligated to purchase enough for 2,000 obnoxious, ungrateful brats (joking, somewhat), I believe.

I am in the process of moving to a different area, so I can relate, not knowing what to expect. I hope that you find something that works for you, Katey.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in mid Michigan, about an hour away from Detroit and a half hour away from Lansing.

We actually have a trunk or treat at the daycare where I work. I'm not sure why it's called that though, children visit each classroom inside the building to collect candy rather than trunks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
That's cool, trick or treating at a daycare. I don't know why people think they are to old to tot. Maybe some people that are passing out candy make them feel bad. I pass out to anyone. Heck, I'll pass out to the three twenty something guys walking around without costumes. I figure the night is one big party, and everyone is invited. One man in his sixties was walking around, checking out what was going on. I get 700 to 900 toters, so a lot of the neighbors come out to see the kids and crowds. I told the man if he comes to my house, I consider him a tot, and gave him candy. He laughed and said he hadn't been considered a tot in over 50 years. If you do know a house that goes all out in town, ask them if they need help. I'd love it if anyone would ask me if I needed help. Especially for setup or teardown.

Don't worry about the no shows for your party. Everyone has that experience once in a while. But it is frustrating to go through all that work, and no one appreciate. Sometimes people can be so thoughtless.

If there is no chance at all to find someone's Halloween to be part of, I'll tell you what I used to do when I was no where near toters. First you need a movie lineup of spooky shows. I love the Universal monsters, so I would get Dracula, Wolf man, Frankenstein, and my favorite, the Mummy. And a bowl of candy, different kinds, as if you had gone out toting. Then shut off all the lights in your house and light candles. In every room. Don't forget the bathroom. For the rest of the night, the only light in the house can be candlelight. Now put on your PJ's, watch movies and eat candy until you feel sick. And you'll hear noises. There is something about candlelight, that makes you hear noises. Just beyond the light. You can go check it out, but you won't find it. I stays just beyond the candlelight.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Do a spook house at the daycare. It can really be toned down for the ages and the kids will love it. Do the spooky and creepy feeling of things and give them scary names, peeled grapes for eyeballs, etc.

I also love scareme's idea of the movies. I try to do one move a night all month.

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
Well, my town is not known for it's Halloween fun "AT ALL", I live in small town in the Mojave desert, So when the entire Nightmare Family moved here from Costa Mesa CA, and set up our haunt for our first Halloween we got 2 kids all night. Every house in town was dark like Oct. 31st was just another night. 20 years later the town isn't Salem or anything but the neighbors make an effort now and I get anywhere from 50 to 100 kids an hour. so if you build it they will come.

If you are really secluded and no one even drives by your house ever then I say "To hell with what people think, It's Halloween and no one is to old for anything". My dad is 60 and even though I ran the haunt now, he couldn't stay away and is still an actor in our haunt. my advise is do what makes the holiday special for you regardless of what people think. if you want I have 4 kids so I could loan you one of my spares for the night LOL. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
Do a spook house at the daycare. It can really be toned down for the ages and the kids will love it. Do the spooky and creepy feeling of things and give them scary names, peeled grapes for eyeballs, etc.
So much YES!

You can have lots of fun with the wee ones. They've never seen most this stuff. Just a pot of punch with dry ice will AMAZE them. Turn on a black light and watch their wonder at their own clothes glowing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm assuming you already know of Pontiac and all the events that goes on down there. There is Erebus and The Realm of Darkness. Necto of Ann Arbor does a lot of Halloween and gothic theme nights. There's the Huckleberry Railroad which is a little fun. Otherwise there is the Fear Finder for other things around the area. Someone is always doing a Halloween night club theme during the season. Some will even do a Half Way to Halloween in the next few months.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Some parents aren't able to take their children trick or treating due to work schedules. Maybe you could find a 'rent-a-kid' to take TOT.
You could always do a home haunt :) (that's how I started)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Katey. Sounds like your not too far from Flint. There's The Vampire Ball - hosted by Vertigo Theatrics at the Masonic Temple in downtown Flint. It's a bit more aimed at a Goth theme, but my wife and I went one year and had a great time. Flint usually has several haunted houses as well. Spooky Trails puts on a pretty good haunted hayride too; they're out in Swartz Creek which may not be too far from you either.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Katey, trick or treat if you want and the nay sayers be damned! I browsed through this post so someone may have already said something about this but: You could be a trunk or treater, either visit one or set up some props and stuff around your car and pass out candy. If there isn't a trunk-or-treat thing going on maybe you could get one started, talk to local churches ( depending on the temperment of the church) and businesses.Local charities would also be places to go to get the ball rolling- or heads as it may be lol. I don't know where you live- house, apartment complex, whatever, but possibly getting in touch with neighbors to get a neighborhood trick or treat thing arranged might work.Some places have Halloween parades, those can be fun. Last year my wife and I took our daughter to walk in the parade in downtown Burlington NC. The local business had employees standing outside passing out candy, there was a costume contest, etc. It was fun.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I wish you lived near me! I have the perfect Halloween house, number of TOTers, and weather- but sadly- no one to haunt with. :( Maybe you could find some home haunters within a reasonable driving distance that are short handed on the big night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts