Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a wiper motor coffin that opened and slammed shut (successfully startled many in 2020, did not work as well on rebuild in 2021). Looking at using a linear actuator to open and slam close (linear to rotational with a half wheel). I am nowhere near the level of sophistication of many here, but I have so much fun doing this. Those Franken-pumpkin-steins look remarkable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a wiper motor coffin that opened and slammed shut (successfully startled many in 2020, did not work as well on rebuild in 2021). Looking at using a linear actuator to open and slam close (linear to rotational with a half wheel). I am nowhere near the level of sophistication of many here, but I have so much fun doing this. Those Franken-pumpkin-steins look remarkable.
I was thinking about tackling the wiper motor coffin for this year's haunt as well. What is your coffin made of?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was thinking about tackling the wiper motor coffin for this year's haunt as well. What is your coffin made of?
Old fencing (redwood, I think, but it is easily 30+ year old planks), so it is very worn looking, with deliberate cracks (with flashing red lighting inside) to look weathered and distressed. The lid is very heavy, though, and I do not have it down on stabilizing the wiper motor, but when lined up, it slams down nicely. Had the upper half of a skeleton to look like it was opening the lid. I used a PIR and picaboo from frightprops. Goal this year is to get it how it was in 2020. Have fun, it is a good prop, certainly entertains trick or treaters...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have been working on modifying (slightly) the mechanism for ths Skeleton on a Unicycle that GhostLand820 posted about here: Mechanical: - Unicycle Skeleton Is Haunting Me

I want to make the rig carry a packing tape ghost back and forth along my covered porch. I can't believe it ... finally a prop that doesn't have to be rain, hail, and snow proof! Anyways, today I used a chisel to adjust the width of the cutout for a wheel, and i convinced some 8mm tubing to fit into 8mm fittings (tubing was a little too large, sandpaper to the rescue). And i have a clever solution that I didn't think of, but tripped over while looking for a square block of wood.

I almost didn't work on anything today, it was one of those days at work where I did not think I could handle one more moment of "it should work, but it won't". Making progress was good, though. Sometimes on nights like today I just clean my work area with the idea that a reboot will help me when I have the brainpower & resilience to try again ;)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm working on this ticket booth rebuild. I was able to use alot of the wood and hardware from the old booth. Still a work in progress. Will post pics when it's completely finished.

Attachments

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,836 Posts
I'm working on a fake heavy-looking wood beam (that I'm having to figure out the best medium since it does need to withstand being dropped by an actor) and a medieval lute. The lute is fun fun fun as it's a static non-playable prop thank dog! So paper maché and the neck is a well sanded 1x2 with cork tuners. I likely could make one that would be capable of strings/noise, but definitely easier to construct when it's not required to be working. ;)

I am going to attempt to do the wood beam out of cardboard and hope I can paint it good enough as the foamcore likely will dent/chip from repeated drops and I don't want to waste my time crafting something that won't survive well.

Also making a long churchwarden style smoking pipe (like in Lord of the Rings) and lots of other odds and ends. It's been a while since I got to craft things out of nothing, so having a blast and starting to think about what I could make specifically for Halloween this year.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm working on a fake heavy-looking wood beam (that I'm having to figure out the best medium since it does need to withstand being dropped by an actor) and a medieval lute. The lute is fun fun fun as it's a static non-playable prop thank dog! So paper maché and the neck is a well sanded 1x2 with cork tuners. I likely could make one that would be capable of strings/noise, but definitely easier to construct when it's not required to be working. ;)

I am going to attempt to do the wood beam out of cardboard and hope I can paint it good enough as the foamcore likely will dent/chip from repeated drops and I don't want to waste my time crafting something that won't survive well.

Also making a long churchwarden style smoking pipe (like in Lord of the Rings) and lots of other odds and ends. It's been a while since I got to craft things out of nothing, so having a blast and starting to think about what I could make specifically for Halloween this year.
For the beam ... Could you "paint" it with latex caulk before adding details? I know they make exterior caulk in colors like tan, dark brown, and light gray. Maybe using a super flexible medium as the coating will give it some more shock absorption and keep it from shedding paint flakes? Just a thought...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts