Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
that is a horrible scenario

If you've been with your GF for a while, stay home.

If not, go.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Personally, I would stay home and pass out candy to the TOT's and watch them enjoy the decorations. But we also have a Halloween party at our house so its not just me at home, but I'm always the one on candy duty :D

Its up to you. If its a party that you know you'd enjoy, then go. If you think it would be better to pass out candy so you can see everyone enjoy your decor then do that. But I'd ask your girlfriend her opinion also, you don't want her getting mad :p Or maybe have a small party at your house also, so you can still have a fun party, but be able to pass out candy aswell.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
What complete muffin-headed nimrod decided to monopolize Halloween by throwing their party on the night of the holiday?

That's really self-centered, especially this year. Halloween is Saturday, for cryin' out loud. Throwing the party Friday night is a perfect solution.

Gad.

The kids will be done by 10:00pm, go to the party then.

·
Macho Nacho
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What complete muffin-headed nimrod decided to monopolize Halloween by throwing their party on the night of the holiday?

That's really self-centered, especially this year. Halloween is Saturday, for cryin' out loud. Throwing the party Friday night is a perfect solution.

Gad.

hmm thats a good idea

·
Registered
141 Posts
give out candy THEN go to the party. Mosy partys dont start going till after 10 anyway, which gives you an hour or two to sort yourself for going out.

Actually.. I am the person monopolising the holiday by having a party this year ^^ so I will be handing out candy whilst also trying to be a host to my guests.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've committed to attending a party on the big night, but I'm kind of regretting it. It's not anywhere near my house, and I'm kind of bummed about not handing out candy!
Anyway, good luck with your decision. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts

Gad.

I disagree! TOT ends by sunset where I am. And if someone had a party on a Friday I'd be upset. I don't get home from work until 7 on an average night. To come home, change into my costume, and hustle to a friend's house is too much on a work day.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
You should have it Friday night. Then you can be great host/hostess and take care of all your halloween visitors without a problem.

Or, have the party after 10:00pm, once trick-or-treat has died down.

There's something about making people choose that just rubs me wrong. It should be fairly obvious that Halloween night will be a busy night for most folks, whether they have kids or not.
I won't do it, and I'm disappointed when I hear of people who will.

However... There's a qualifier to that statement. It is an American statement.

I lived for two years in the United Kingdom, and spent plenty of time in Scotland, Ireland, Man and Wales. I know for a fact that trick-or-treat is barely a concept in that corner of the world, as most of the efforts are focused on getting a penny for the Guy and remembering the 5th of November with bonfires and fireworks. It's a little better in Scotland and Ireland, where you can get candy, but you better have a song or a talent to show, or in Ireland where colcannon is still served with hidden charms,...

but the trick-or-treat in Scotland is nothing compared to what it is here, even in the quieter neighborhoods of the US. In Scotland, a party may be just about the only celebration at all.
So, I'm not disappointed in you, Medea, for obvious reasons.

My fellow Americans should know better.
That's right, people. I'm a-waggin' my finger at ya!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I refuse to go to Halloween parties unless they are after 10pm. This is my night and I don't care who is giving the party. After spending a year deciding how to design the layout, making props and getting all psyched up I'm not giving that up. You can always tell her that you will meet her there or she can share your night in what you love. The ones who tend to give Halloween parties on Halloween tend to be the single people who have no children or don't care about how much others love the holiday.

·
Registered
141 Posts
but the trick-or-treat in Scotland is nothing compared to what it is here, even in the quieter neighborhoods of the US. In Scotland, a party may be just about the only celebration at all.
So, I'm not disappointed in you, Medea, for obvious reasons.
Pfft, ToTing ends by 8 around here.. and I get about 100 kids on average! You obviously wherent in MY bit of Scotland because whilst the haunt wasnt big until recently ToTing always was. Even if we had turnips rather than pumpkins.. ah.. the Halloweens of my childhood where always fun :)

My party isnt due to start till after 9 and most peeps are locals so they can do their ToT duty and still have time to get ready :) Halloween is my Christmas so I take it very very seriously ;)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
By mutual agreement with friends, our party is always on the Saturday before Halloween (this year on the 24th), and our friends hold their party Halloween night. We take care of the ToTers until ~ 8:45, then close up shop and go to theirs.
I'd say both of you do do Halloween at your place then go to the party.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Gad.

I would have to kind of agree with you one this. Its not fun to set everything up, and then not enjoy the big night. The thing about our party is that its really only family, who don't decorate anyway. And if neighbors or others do come over, its always after 8:30 - 9 o'clock.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Pfft, ToTing ends by 8 around here.. and I get about 100 kids on average! You obviously wherent in MY bit of Scotland because whilst the haunt wasnt big until recently ToTing always was. Even if we had turnips rather than pumpkins.. ah.. the Halloweens of my childhood where always fun :)

My party isnt due to start till after 9 and most peeps are locals so they can do their ToT duty and still have time to get ready :) Halloween is my Christmas so I take it very very seriously ;)
I saw a Scottish Halloween, Inverness, 1993.

The town was dead quiet. The few trick or treaters I saw had to tell a joke, sing a verse or do a stunt of some sort, earn the treat, as it were. It was adorable, certainly not the way we do things in America. In the States, you either give a treat or suffer a trick... but 100 TOTers in the streets? Not by a long shot, and I was told Halloween was a minor thing.

They did show a Burke and Hare movie on the Sky Network, though. Struck me as apropos.

I'm glad you...
a.) had serious Halloweens as a child,
b.) Get lots of TOTers these days,
c.) that one of the birthplaces of the holiday still keeps it alive and
d.) you're having the party AFTER most of the trick or treating is done, unlike the situation the OP finds himself in, i.e., having to choose.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I saw a Scottish Halloween, Inverness, 1993.

The town was dead quiet. The few trick or treaters I saw had to tell a joke, sing a verse or do a stunt of some sort, earn the treat, as it were. It was adorable, certainly not the way we do things in America. In the States, you either give a treat or suffer a trick... but 100 TOTers in the streets? Not by a long shot, and I was told Halloween was a minor thing.
Actually in some cities in the US, you need to tell a joke or do something in order to get your treat. Many cities with Irish or Scorith heritage do this practice. Here in St. Louis, MO, you need to tell a joke in order to get your treat, nothing to fancy but just something simple. It seems very unusual to people from out of town, but I just see it as something natural that I always did when I was younger. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why doesn't she stay to give out candy and then go to the party. Trick or treating should end by 9:00 and the party will barely be warmed up.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Actually in some cities in the US, you need to tell a joke or do something in order to get your treat. Many cities with Irish or Scorith heritage do this practice. Here in St. Louis, MO, you need to tell a joke in order to get your treat, nothing to fancy but just something simple. It seems very unusual to people from out of town, but I just see it as something natural that I always did when I was younger. :)
And certain neighborhoods of Boston, Philadephia and Chicago. It's not the norm for the country, though.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What I did last year. After my haunt closed at 9'ish, I grabbed a beer and walked down the street to the party, to hear everyone talking about my haunt. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts