Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old popcorn air popper. I lost the lid a long time ago, but the fan and heating element work great! So, I'm asking all you creative sorts out there...

What would you make with a popcorn air popper motor/fan?

(This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...)

Sorry, had to do it.

Here's a pic of the motor. It's a blower and a heater -- don't know if I can seperate the two.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You could always use it just to make a scene less comfortable. Aim it at the ToTs and instant 'warm and clammy' atmosphere (if it's not too hot).

Alien Heat Ray?

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit
-drinking
-smoking
-sniffing glue
-amphetamines."

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you have a scene with fire or embers you could increase the illusion by 'projecting' some heat. As long as it isn't too hot. Might help if it doesn't smell like popcorn and butter either.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
well if you're good with electronics you could put it inside a large prop head and have it set so when someone walks near it the mouth opens and the prop 'breaths out'

·
Registered
293 Posts
Remeber, these things are REALLY LOUD!!!!!!! And I do mean REALLY LOUD!!!!

I thought about this too for the fan (disconnect the heating element) thought it would be great, but they are VERY LOUD!

I use a "Stir Crazy" popper for the low RPM motor tho. works great for a spinning skull. LOL

And don't call me Shirley!

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have a scene with fire or embers you could increase the illusion by 'projecting' some heat. As long as it isn't too hot. Might help if it doesn't smell like popcorn and butter either.
It doesn't smell like popcorn, and it would kick out a bit of heat. That's not a bad idea, but I worry about the noise. I'll need to crack it open and see if I can remove the heating element. If I cn, I might use that to help keep water warm for a dry ice pot.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It is REALLY LOUD you say? Does it spin up immediately? Build a conveyor and drop body parts into an oversized meat grinder. Your popper motor could provide the sound effects of body parts meeting the blade. Maybe, as the grinder screems, it could bounce around some and the blower (besides making a din) could produce a warmed over water spray to flick onto the TOTs. Let their imagination make up what they just got hit with.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
It is REALLY LOUD you say? Does it spin up immediately? Build a conveyor and drop body parts into an oversized meat grinder. Your popper motor could provide the sound effects of body parts meeting the blade. Maybe, as the grinder screems, it could bounce around some and the blower (besides making a din) could produce a warmed over water spray to flick onto the TOTs. Let their imagination make up what they just got hit with.
This idea would fit in so nicely with the rest of his theme. I think he should go for it. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts