Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
We would open up our haunted maze at 7:00 P.M.
A steady stream of hundreds of TOTs would arrive right up until closing time.
All of the props, sounds, lights, and scares would work perfectly all night.
Once we close down, we head out to visit 3 or 4 professional haunts that stayed open just for us, knowing that we don't usually get the chance to go to pro haunts anymore.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,489 Posts
A mostly clear, cool night with temps in the mid 50's to low 60's. Light breeze, enough to drop some of the leaves off the trees but not so much as to blow the fog all over. Some big wispy clouds that partially obscure the full moon. The TOT's would arrive on time and we would be ready with the haunt set up, jack o lanterns lit, sound and lights all working to perfection. After two hours of TOT, we would hang around outside for another hour, taking it all in and enjoying the evening. The big, expensive things tucked away for the night, I'd relax and watch some old Halloween movies on TV until the wee hours. Just befoe turning in, I'd take one last walk outside to see if our jacks were still lit. This has become a tradition at our house. We never blow them out but let them burn out on their own, which sometimes isn't until 2 or 3 in the morning.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
People would show up here in a timely manner. Nobody would be badgering us for a "Discount" because:"They drove all the way here from Chicago!"
"Turn around, let's see a show of hands, how many of you drove here from Chicago?" ("Duh?")
Weather is always a big factor for everyone's enjoyment of Halloween. If the weather of November stays fairly warm or predictable, people keep thinking it might still actually be October and keep coming to see our house... but who can control the weather?
Over the years it seems as if many seem to believe that Halloween is a bad time to try to see a haunt because it will be too crowded. Usually not. People have numerous other activities vie for time and attention then, such as Halloween parties, costume contests, parades, and then of course some Police departments try to bribe kids into calling it an early night by phoning kids at home, if the kid is home by 9 they could win some little prize.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
...and then of course some Police departments try to bribe kids into calling it an early night by phoning kids at home, if the kid is home by 9 they could win some little prize.
Wow. Really?
At tax payer expense, I'm sure.
It used to be that parents would control the time that the kids came home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My perfect night would be just to get some TOTs. Every year my decorating becomes less and less elaborate. Our first year in New place we had 3 last year 1 . Great weather and everything. In our defense though there is a 5 block long area that is a major route through town they closed for hours because of the elaborate decorations and themes.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Okay, here goes:

The first week in October I'd set up my animatronic scarecrow (assuming I ever finish it), set up the stereo, and set out my rock speakers. Both will provide BIG fun for the rest of October.

The weekend before Halloween I'd set up the giant spider, cemetery columns, cemetery fence, and fog piping system.

The day before Halloween I would have most of my props, electrical cords, and wires in place. I'd set up the fog machine and fog chiller to test them (then taking them inside for the night). The night before I'd test the lighting.

Halloween day would be cool and dry. High temp around 70 degrees with a light breeze, and occasional thin banks of cirrocumulus clouds to filter the sunshine. In the morning, I'd hook up my laptop to the stereo to have music playing as I set everything up. Then I'd set up the cauldron creep and cemetery. Next, I'd set out the fog machine and fog chiller, and fill the chiller cooler with fresh ice. After everything was set up and the cauldron creep was running, I'd get some photos of everything, then spend a few hours just sitting in a lawn chair taking everything in.

Halloween night would be cool and calm, temps in the upper 50s with no wind. Around 6:00 I'd turn on the lights, the cemetery column lamps, and the fog machine, and fill the candy bowl. The ToTs here are usually done by 9:00, but on this special night they'll be out in force until after 10:00. Afterwards I'd turn off everything and spend an hour or so just taking in the night's experience, then take in the fog machine and cauldron creep and call it a night.

This year Halloween is on a Friday, so it could happen ;).

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
My ideal day & night would involve Rick Baker setting up my Planet of the Apes set up that he made just for me, Greg Nicotero taking care of the Walking Dead portion of the yard while I chat up (& drool over) Norm Reedus (in full on Daryl gear) for spoilers for the new season, Bruce Campbell can schmooze the grown-ups, all the street lights on the street will magically go out & no wind or rain to ruin any of it.

Almost forgot, someone else pays for it & cleans it all up too & we have more ToTers than we've ever had!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Good weather for once. Since I been doing Halloween yard displays since 2009, I had always been plagued with bad weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts