Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My low light set does not really work well anymore, so was just going to put a flood light or 2 in place. One is for a graveyard, and maybe another to light up the front of the house.

What color might be good?

Those 2 windows in the front there are getting boarded up this year.....

(last year photos)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think color choice as well as placement makes a huge impact. That being said I always use blue in a graveyard, and I think red aimed at your house will look cool. That would definitely separate the two zones and make them equally erie. 1 suggestion I would make however is to house the fog lights in old coffee cans painted black, 2 reasons: 1, it will take away that annoying side glare and 2, it will add to the creepyness when you don't outright see the light source. Just my two cents, but that's how I do it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go green...Everybody is;)

I think green floods would look good for your graveyard. Don't make it too bright a bit on the darker side will be eerier looking .

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think color choice as well as placement makes a huge impact. That being said I always use blue in a graveyard, and I think red aimed at your house will look cool. That would definitely separate the two zones and make them equally erie. 1 suggestion I would make however is to house the fog lights in old coffee cans painted black, 2 reasons: 1, it will take away that annoying side glare and 2, it will add to the creepyness when you don't outright see the light source. Just my two cents, but that's how I do it.
I like the coffee can idea....will try that......and make the floods less noticeable....

I have a coffin with green inside......need to find the photo......

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh yea I guess I could have mentioned this as well.
I use old baby formula cans painted black for light shrouds. I cut both ends out of them and paint them flat black. When they are dry I electrical tape them to a PAR 38 75 watt flood or spotlight. The size is perfect. after taped I paint the back of the bulb (not the contacts) with flat black paint as well. This makes them totally disappear into the night from the back side.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,599 Posts
I agree with the blue. We use two 100 watt blue floods, and back light the area in orange. Not a big fan of green. Check out -Skull And Bone- and look at the tutorial on lighting. Very good info.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes, I have to agree with the blue. We use a 100w blue flood light to light the cemetery entrance, and four 25w blue bulbs on the inside of the fence to light the tombstones. Then we use 25w red, and green bulbs for accent lighting.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I will go blue then, if I can't fix the spotlights I have. They are a blue\white LED, and I thought they had a nice look to them initially as seen in the photos.....

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I put blue lights in the tree above my cemetary which I think gives it a nice creepy look as if a full moon was out. Under my eves I've put lamps that I also choose blue for. On my porch and sides of garage I have amber glass on those coachman type lights. In those I put red for obvious reasons, but whats nice about the two colors is where the lights cross you also get a purple blending effect (hey I wonder what the place would look like wearing the old red/blue 3-D glasses... 3 dimensional? LOL ).

For this year I have a dead spot (no punn intended) in the yard, and for that I'm putting a black light in the eve to light a white hanging ghost. But I may change my mind on that one after it's hung and see how it looks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Try blue... try green. Sometimes comes down to personally preference. I spend alot of time switching colors and moving lights to find that perfect lighting.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would say use the color or two colors that look best to you. This year I am adding additional lighting, and working on things that hide the lighting tha is being used. I agree that your eyes are not drawn to the light source when you can not see where the light is coming from.

·
Registered
668 Posts
i was going to use red for my graveyard, do you think that would look nice?

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
one of my favorite threads on this forum is -your cemetary, by monster mash. you ought to do a search and pull it up. there are so many visual examples there you will be amazed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Add another vote for blue. It really adds a lot to the eerie look of the cemetary. It looks a lot like moonlight shining on the stones. I personally don't light up each tombstone, for one I have too many, two I think it looks better when some are only partly illuminated and some are in the shadows. Adds to the realism I think. But like others have said, it really just comes down to personal preference. try a couple different colors and keep what YOU like! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you use blue on the tombstones, just gel filters. For some reason, the blue lights from Home Depot or Lowes aren't that blue. Green is okay, for some reason. But I'd suggest red lights INSIDE the house, as opposed to lighting the house red.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
There are a couple of reasons blue is such a successful choice.

One, when a bright moon is shining, the eyes register a dim, barely noticeable blue tinge on everything, as brighter colors in the red and yellow range wash out and greens darken to near black.

Two, the opposite of blue is orange (check a color wheel to see what I mean). The majority of lamps, lanterns and pumpkins will give off yellow-orange light, so they really snap against a blue landscape.

Three, pale blue light strikes most people as ghostly, mysterious and/or otherworldly, whereas green looks like sickness, chemicals, radiation, that sort of thing. It's a visual clue we pick up from decades of art and movies. We tend to think of green as scientific,... The interior of a spaceship, the glow of a fallen meteorite, a spilled toxic waste site, Herbert West's reanimation fluid.
We tend to regard blue as supernatural,... the windows of a haunted house, a moonlit forest, the white-blue glow of countless ghosts and spirits in film.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts

One, when a bright moon is shining, the eyes register a dim, barely noticeable blue tinge on everything, as brighter colors in the red and yellow range wash out and greens darken to near black.

Two, the opposite of blue is orange (check a color wheel to see what I mean). The majority of lamps, lanterns and pumpkins will give off yellow-orange light, so they really snap against a blue landscape.

Three, pale blue light strikes most people as ghostly, mysterious and/or otherworldly, whereas green looks like sickness, chemicals, radiation, that sort of thing. It's a visual clue we pick up from decades of art and movies. We tend to think of green as scientific,... The interior of a spaceship, the glow of a fallen meteorite, a spilled toxic waste site, Herbert West's reanimation fluid.
We tend to regard blue as supernatural,... the windows of a haunted house, a moonlit forest, the white-blue glow of countless ghosts and spirits in film.
Good call. I forgot about complimentary colors. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts

Yeah, what Spats said! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts