Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever do a costume that, in retrospect, just wasn't up to your own standards... Or just sucked? Here's your opportunity to have a public confession!
My personal Shame goes back to 5th grade. for my birthday that July I received the Mattel Fright Factory Thing Maker. I thought it would be the coolest thing to use parts made in the Thing Maker,glue them all over a red hoodie and be an alien. Looking back, it was probably the lamest Halloween costume ever conceived, one step above putting a paper grocery bag over my head. to add insult to injury, my friend and I rode a public bus to the Halloween party at our local youth Center. I was mortified by the fact that my friend was in fact dressed as a large baby in a nightgown,complete with bonnet a baby bottle. the more I saw other riders (mostly older women) smiling, the more embarrassed I became. Nowadays I'd savor the reaction, but as a newly pubescent male, it was murder!

Redemption came 2 years later. (The next year I was Tiny Tim - kids,look him up!) In 7th grade I used the Dick Smith Monster Make Up book to do a Mr. Hyde make up. It won first prize. Yippee!

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
Oh boy, I have had many. My worst was probably when I tried to dress up as a female character. The goal was to LOOK female, but I looked more like a drag queen wandering the streets.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Chris...no offense but I think the homemade alien sounded better than tiny Tim ! Unless of course u were going for the scare factor!

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Worst and ironically favorite, was when I was a kid and I wanted to be a witch. My mom concocted something to make my face green. Well it turned out to be black instead. No problem though because I was TERRIFYING... or so I thought. I loved it....until I tried to wash it off that night and realized it had stained my skin. One large jar of cold cream and a lot of scrubbing later, I was decidedly grey and it didn't go away before school the next morning either. It was an odd mixture of embarrassment and pride.

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
Mine occurred when I was older, actually. My mom always made me amazing costumes, and once I started making them on my own, they were pretty cool too.

The two I liked least were the vampires. The first one was about seven years ago... I wore a short, ruffled black skirt, black thigh-high stockings, my combat boots, my custom fangs and a t-shirt with a female vampire face and "Love Sucks" in glittery red letters. It was... Meh. Kind of fun, but not very creative.

The second vamp was prettier, but equally boring. I wore a black corset and... I think a long black skirt. Honestly, I can't remember the bottom half. Black tights, my combat boots again (they are a recurring element in most of my costumes), custom fangs and a red cloak. Like I said, boring.

Oh, and the circus ringmaster. That one was lame. I wore black pants, a ruffly white blouse of my mom's, a black vest with decorative pins and brooches stuck all over it, a star-studded tie, and a top hat. I don't even remember my footwear. I was 15 or 16. It was pretty lame.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Great topic Chris!

I decided - I think it was grade 5 - that the best way to achieve the classic Frankenstein look was to cut off the bottom of a Javex Bleach bottle and put that on my head. But I also knew for some reason that bald caps were important - so bald cap OVER bleach bottle and then I think taped down with bandaids that kept coming loose. I got the biggest welts on my forehead and ears that you've ever seen. And the bleach bottle started filling up with condensation which kept dripping down my face.

Impressed that my mom let me persevere with my stupidity.

If only I had know about Dick Smith.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Great topic Chris!

I decided - I think it was grade 5 - that the best way to achieve the classic Frankenstein look was to cut off the bottom of a Javex Bleach bottle and put that on my head. But I also knew for some reason that bald caps were important - so bald cap OVER bleach bottle and then I think taped down with bandaids that kept coming loose. I got the biggest welts on my forehead and ears that you've ever seen. And the bleach bottle started filling up with condensation which kept dripping down my face.

Impressed that my mom let me persevere with my stupidity.

If only I had know about Dick Smith.
This, this is so funny!!!! Love the bald cap OVER the bleach bottle LOL!!! And Chris, I just cracked up imagining that bus scene. The bonnet must have been awesome!!! Great topic.

Mine's not funny, just lame. I phoned it in a few years back and just bought a Maleficent costume. It looked...ok. But it was just so mediocre. For years I went all out coming up with creative costumes. I don't know what happened that year, but never again I tell you!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was a broom, I wanted to be something pretty and my mom had gotten tons of free yarn from a friend and made me a very large broom. My whole body & face was encased in yarn and at the top of my head a 4 foot broom handle busted out.

I was in 1st grade. I did win the city's most creative contest, but I had to lie down across the car seat, couldn't fit in doorways.

Oh did I mention, mom decided to have a large witch & ghost ride me as well?

Following this, mom made me a catapillar the following year. Also not a pretty princess or fairy. ;)

To my moms credit, she did come up with super unique ideas. She is a very talented sewer, too.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Never try to eat a zombie
778 Posts
When I was a kid my parents dressed me up as a ghost... I wore a white sheet w/ holes cut out for the eyes... I couldn't see squat and was tripping all over the place... Thx mom and dad!!!

Now they wonder why I go all out for my kid's costumes!!! lolol

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was a broom, I wanted to be something pretty and my mom had gotten tons of free yarn from a friend and made me a very large broom. My whole body & face was encased in yarn and at the top of my head a 4 foot broom handle busted out.

I was in 1st grade. I did win the city's most creative contest, but I had to lie down across the car seat, couldn't fit in doorways.

Oh did I mention, mom decided to have a large witch & ghost ride me as well?

Following this, mom made me a catapillar the following year. Also not a pretty princess or fairy. ;)

To my moms credit, she did come up with super unique ideas. She is a very talented sewer, too.
Um, imma need a picture of that broom costume! That is awesome & hilarious at the same time LOL!

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
My worst year was when we were moving ( I was about 7) and it took 4 days to drive from Baltimore to FL. I remember waking up to orange blossom smell and it was pitch black outside. We got out and stretched our legs and I noticed a few kids running around in costume. I turned, wide eyed to my parents and asked, "is tonight HALLOWEEN?!" It was confirmed it was and after begging to go around the block to TOT, was told no. So that was my worst costume, not having one and also not allowed to tot for a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gobby, that story is hilarious! What's so great is that it makes perfect sense to an 10-year-old!
StacyN, I laughed so hard it hurt! The second picture alone is worth the price of admission...
KittyVibe...aw, that's just sad :(
All great stories...doesn't it feel better to get it off your chest? Testify!

F

·
0 Posts
I dressed as a college student one year. I had to be under 10. Wore my moms Michigan State sweatshirt. My sister got way more compliments. Bah.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My worst year was when we were moving ( I was about 7) and it took 4 days to drive from Baltimore to FL. I remember waking up to orange blossom smell and it was pitch black outside. We got out and stretched our legs and I noticed a few kids running around in costume. I turned, wide eyed to my parents and asked, "is tonight HALLOWEEN?!" It was confirmed it was and after begging to go around the block to TOT, was told no. So that was my worst costume, not having one and also not allowed to tot for a few minutes.
How horrible :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
I normally make my costumes or place pieces together to make one. A few years back I decided to by a pre-made one. Worse mistake ever!
The top was too baggy so I had to pin it and the shorts were long and baggy. (looked like basket ball shorts) The make up didnt blend so in all the pictures I was extremely blotchy. BTW I was dressed up as Columbia from RHPS...I wanted to be her ever since I was a kid and the dream did not live up. (One day!! It will work!)

·
>^..^<
795 Posts
I see what you were going for there with the shape though - that's really creative for a little kid, despite the actual wearing of it not being too much fun.

Aw... :( *sends hugs back through time to little kittyvibe*

At least you can make up for it now. :)

Technically my worst costumes are the years when I'm too lazy to wear one, since any effort is better than no effort. But following that I would say my worst costume was when I was a kid and wanted to be the top hat from Monopoly. I had this whole vision of the top hat walking around with legs - might have seen some vaudeville clip in some old movie that inspired me too. It looked great when I was visualizing it, but I'm pretty sure no-one knew what the heck it was supposed to be in real life. Plus the little square window with my face peeking out (my mom helped me make it) kind of ruined the effect.

Oh well - props for trying. :rolleyes:

F

·
0 Posts
Tights. Turtleneck. Two large cardboard circles, painted and lettered like "M and M" candies, with two strips of fabric holding them together. Just ugh.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts