Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was your first Pneumatic Prop build and why?

Hello Everyone,

I am wanting to build my first pneumatic prop and wanted to know what others have built for their first prop and why? I am considering a Monster In a Box or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I was thinking of a Hellevator.

Should I start with something simple to build confidence, or should I just jump in and do whatever I want to build?

Let me know your thoughts. I would love to see pictures of your first pneumatic prop as well.

Sincerely,

HauntNWI

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
My first pneumatic prop was a "Monster in a Coffin." I made the coffin from scratch (using the plans here), and I purchased a lid opener kit from FrightProps (here). I used a PicoBoo to control it all (similar to this one, but it was last season's model).

I definitely recommend starting out relatively small, and gradually working your way up. Don't go for a Hellevator just yet, unless you think you are up to the challenge. Read up on pneumatics, too (there's a good pamphlet here).

YouTube- Monster in a coffin

P.S. A Hellevator is an awesome effect, and I have wanted to do one for a while now, just too big of a project for me.

IDEAS:
http://www.frightprops.com/FrightProps/Props/WebCat.asp?ID=2-0026
http://www.scaryguys.com/spiked.htm
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/48501-building-elevator-help.html
Or buy it premade - http://thehorrordome.com/haunted-elevator-halloween-animatronic.aspx (yeah right, after seeing THAT price!)

·
Registered
490 Posts
My first pneumatic prop was also my first Halloween display venture. I was inspired by the Conan the Barbarian show at Universal Hollywood, but couldn't see how to build a serpent, so I built a robot instead.

I used (2) cylinders, I think they were 6" stroke. The whole thing was ~6'6" tall. This was right after I graduated H.S., so I was really surprised my parents let me build it. It scared the T.O.T. parents more than it scared the kids. :)

- Hook

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow!

Wow! Great replies.

I think I am leaning towards the Monster In a Box, (Wild Animal in a Crate). Right now I am figuring out all the components. This is what I have so far.

Gilderfluke MiniBrick 4
Gilderfluke SD-25
Speakers most likely from OnlyFactoryDirect
Either a Monster In a Box Kit from Monster Guts or FrightProps Creature Crate Kit.
The crate, I will build.

(Phase 2): Solid State Video Player

I don't think I am going to use lights or fog inside. I would like to go for a realistic Animal Crate with a small 5 x 7 opening that has bars. The sound track will be of a wild animal....possibly a cougar or panther. Once in awhile, the box will nudge in sync with the growling and snarling as if the animal is restless and agitated inside. Not necessarily trying to break out.

(Phase 2):
Once I accomplish that, I would like to put a 7 or 8" monitor set back a few inches from behind the opening with bars and run a video track of the animals eyes, as if they were glowing in the dark. Think of a cat or raccoon's eyes when the healights of a car hit them. The eyes would be in sync with the sound as well as the movement of the crate. The eyes will not be static. They will move representing a restless or agitated animal inside.

I know that this will be an expensive prop, but I think it will be realistic and effective. Once again, I would like to get your thoughts. Thank you.

Sincerely,

HauntNWI

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
My first was in 2001, my second year of doing a yard display and I made 3 simple pop up props and I used PVC cylinders and washing machine valves. I had so many leaks that my compressor ran all night. I made a Freddy prop that popped out at you.

A simple prop that popped straight up and his arms raised over his head. I think everyone made one of them back then. That was the early days of pop up props and almost everyone used PVC

The 3rd was the prop holding his head. When you walked by his armed raised up showing you his head.

I think that year was the most fun I ever had doing my haunt. PVC and black plastic walls and also my first year of using wiper motors to make props. I think I had 5 maybe 6 wiper motor props.

Every year after that my haunt got bigger and better and the pops were more advance but also way more STRESSFUL trying to get it all finished and set up.

·
Macho Nacho
859 Posts

My neighbor built one and then we moved so we got the how to and built it because I was pretty young when we lived next to them and I loved it so when I grew up a little I built it with my dad. And yes a run on sentence for you nazis

·
Registered
527 Posts
My first was a tombstone pop up. This is probably the simplest to build.
I used a security light on test mode for arelay and to trigger it. All you need is a 12" cylinder, a solenoid and a trigger/ relay.
Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts