Halloween Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas for this year. What prop received the most scares or the most comments on Halloween ? I'm looking for ideas that will make the adults scream WTF ! :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
J-Man that is a pretty awesome build. I really like that. Did you have a how-to for it ?
No, I built this a few years ago from scratch and a lot of trial and error. It operates with a key fob so I have total control of the functions, it even gets people that have already seen it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really a prop I guess but for a good scare on the cheap it's hard to beat a drop panel. Of course there is generally a person involved so that could be an issue
Whats a drop panel ? And this year I am thinking I might find some volunteers to scare people.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It's a panel that runs in a track behind a wall that has a gate latch When the latch is tripped the panel falls and a "monster" or clown or whatever pops out through the hole. Panel is usually disguised as a picture. We used a fake ticket window near our clown setup. Check Youtube for videos. Or do a search here for "drop panel". It's crazy how scared people get actually falling on the floor etc.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you are doing a haunted house set up, the room we had that got the most scares was the black room. All the walls were black, the actor wore black and the only light was a black light. We hung masks that glowed perfectly under the black light all over at various heights and then the actor also wore a mask. When people came into the room the actor would creep closer and closer to them making spooky moaning sounds. Or they would jump towards the people and yell out boo. We had parents tossing their children towards the actor as they went into a full out run to get out of there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are doing a haunted house set up, the room we had that got the most scares was the black room. All the walls were black, the actor wore black and the only light was a black light. We hung masks that glowed perfectly under the black light all over at various heights and then the actor also wore a mask. When people came into the room the actor would creep closer and closer to them making spooky moaning sounds. Or they would jump towards the people and yell out boo. We had parents tossing their children towards the actor as they went into a full out run to get out of there.
OH MY GOODNESS !!! That is pretty damn spooky. UGHHH I need to figure out a way to do a room to scare people. I can't use my garage because I have projections in there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a panel that runs in a track behind a wall that has a gate latch When the latch is tripped the panel falls and a "monster" or clown or whatever pops out through the hole. Panel is usually disguised as a picture. We used a fake ticket window near our clown setup. Check Youtube for videos. Or do a search here for "drop panel". It's crazy how scared people get actually falling on the floor etc.
I watched the videos and they were pretty funny. That would be a great set up also

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
OH MY GOODNESS !!! That is pretty damn spooky. UGHHH I need to figure out a way to do a room to scare people. I can't use my garage because I have projections in there.
Maybe you could build a room with pallet walls and a plywood roof. Cover the entire inside with black plastic.

It was funnier than all heck watching the adults getting scared. We had one dad who was built like a line backer literally shove/throw his around 8yr. old daughter at the actor (which was me at the time) as he jumped about 3 feet in the air with his feet already running. As soon as his feet hit the floor he was out of there leaving his poor daughter behind. The other adults who came in behind them were screaming and hugging tight to the wall and scooted the child out with them as quickly as they could.

·
Registered
135 Posts
my biggest scare prop was my animated jumping spider from nevermore productions :)
I was amazed at how many adults got scared also, she's not small, figured the size would get more kids, but nope LOL
My neighbor still laughs when he reminds me of that one lady..
It was still light out and I went in to get the bags full of treat bags as it was slowly staring.. as I come out from behind my crank ghost, there's this lady
walking up the driveway, shy and she said how much she loved the décor and started asking question how everything was made.. so nice guy that I am, told her to not be shy and come up closer to see better. DOHHHHHHH !!!!!!!! I had completely forgotten that I had plugged the spider in and cranked up the amp for sound testing.. HOLLY C#### she jumped and started scream running back to the street, by now my neighbor is rolling on the ground LOL the others that saw her are laughing too, all she's screaming is how EVIL I was to scare her like that LOL worst part is, it was an honest mistake.. but did that ever get the night started.
here's a quick test video I made the week before, I added a few more light so the spider at the end is seen better, and there's a few props missing.
I can't wait for this up coming season. I have another animated prop coming and will be adding sound that is motion activated to a few static props..

hope this link works:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=cf7GXO2ZPSo

Backyard Yard Garden Grass Landscaping

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe you could build a room with pallet walls and a plywood roof. Cover the entire inside with black plastic.

It was funnier than all heck watching the adults getting scared. We had one dad who was built like a line backer literally shove/throw his around 8yr. old daughter at the actor (which was me at the time) as he jumped about 3 feet in the air with his feet already running. As soon as his feet hit the floor he was out of there leaving his poor daughter behind. The other adults who came in behind them were screaming and hugging tight to the wall and scooted the child out with them as quickly as they could.
Whats the size of your room? I def would love to do it. It looks easy and effective lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
WOWWWW yeloowtang your haunt is amazing. Did you build your props?
thanks Debbie :-D , not all of them.. the stirring creep I built, all the fence, columns, panels on the house and porch , I made over the years.
most props I either buy and modify or if they are nice, I leave them be :) I've been pickier about which prop I buy now..
I've started to build my own more now too , it's finding the time. I did make a cool pumpkin thief too not in the video..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mine has been the drop panel for sure. My attempts at pneumatics have never worked out so I stick with the drop panel. It is a different spot and picture each year and it works every time. I got the same neighbor 3 times last year even though she knew it was there. It's all about timing.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Whats the size of your room? I def would love to do it. It looks easy and effective lol
We did the haunt in a livestock sales pavilion. We were using the stalls for our haunts and there was a walkway about 3-4' wide for the patrons to walk on in front of the stalls. The stall was about 8' X 8'. If you added a hallway they walk through to get to the room, you could do the drop panel for one scare and maybe even a mirror where when people look into it, it lights up behind the glass and there is a scary creature of some kind that stares/yells/roars/screams back at them. You make the mirror using that window film that makes a 2 way mirror and an old window, or a piece of Plexiglas in a frame. Keep the hallway dimly lit, but lit enough they can see themselves in the mirror, the actor on the other side will be in total darkness (they can see the people but the people can't see the actor) then the actor can turn on a brighter light on his side and lets the people see him/her.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts