Halloween Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 3770 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Wow, just watched "The Ward" and like "My Soul to take", suck big time!!!!!! Every "Horror hospital movie" cliche is in it. The story.. wow.. baddd, so very bad, and the acting too.. wow...so bad.. I can't tell which is worst from last John Carpenter's movies in the last year... THEY sucks BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!
And after watching it, all you can imagine that John Carpenter's watched a few good movies (I won't mention them, it will ruin the twist at the end... so bad)
and stole the ideals, thinking he'll make it work in a crappy horror movie.

One last thing : "The Ward" and like "My Soul to take" sucks BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!

PS: The twist, It's all in her head, yes.. all of it..multiple personality, yes, he went there... horrible twist, lazy horrible writting... very bad.. I just saved you 2 hours of your life that you would want to have back!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
When I took my oldest son to his first "Big city" video store I began computing in my head how many hours I had spent just watching the titles there looking at me from their store shelves.
When I got up to about 250-280 hours I felt sick.
Maybe if I hadn't been working 65 hours every week for most of my adult life , I would not have felt like that?
My "free time" was pretty short compared to someone working , say just 40 hrs. a week and then maybe even getting holidays and vacation time, which was not in the cards in my employment terms.
I should have known "better". I was just maybe 7 yrs. old, my parents had finally bought a TV (even though my Dad had been installing antennas for half of his income) I liked Tv shows but one fine day, as I was walking outside to play , as I walked passed the TV I became interested in what they were showing, I stopped to watch awhile.. show over! Time to go play! Nope. the day was gone, dark outside! = "You Lose, Jimmie!"
A grand realization struck my young brain concerning my own mortality and the the time we each have here in this life, and I had just wasted too much of it allowing and hoping others could entertain me better than my own mind could entertain itself (which fairs a dim second place to what's usually happening inside of my head.)
How many times can we or should we indulge other's attempts to re-package, re-run the same ploys,plots, actors and meager messages in our movies and Tv shows?
A classmate of mine, a busy working guy, told me he would be catching -up on his missed Tv shows, ex cetra When he was possibly someday, laying in a bed waiting to die, not until then.
Quite a plan! Of course trading computer keys for a movie may not prove much different in the long run.
I have begun typing out a story about some of the strange and funny things and artwork I have made in my life, it will be a Long Haul before it's done, but I am using my 62 years of seeing other people,s often "short" efforts to help critique myself as I plod through. This is not the first time I have done this, I just keep in mind how disappointed I was with my first efforts from 10 years ago to motivate me now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
AT MIDNIGHT, I WILL TAKE YOUR SOUL (1964) This is the first Brazilian horror film made in Brazil, by Coffin Joe. He stares into the camera a lot, wears a top hat and has long nails. The camera work is very good.
I didn't mind some stuff in it..there is a very convincing scene where he severes some fingers with a broken bottle, but I can't recommend the thing. There is too much smacking out of a female in it. Head on hits to the face with his fist. Then an off screen rape. It's not scary, just abuse. Coffin Joe goes around mouthing off about wanting to find a woman who will bear him a son, and how he is so nasty...to be fair it WAS made before the world was creeped out by Charles Manson, so maybe his crap looked pretty freaky to the average Brazilian back then. He also violates the Easter prohibition about eating meat, that sort of thing. I couldn't help but wonder why they just didn't get a posse together and string the piece of dog dirt up. As it is, he is hauled off to hell at the end by the people he took out earlier in the movie. This was the start of a long series of films from Coffin Joe.

·
Resident Lunatic
1,770 Posts
Against the Dark

I like some of Steven Seagal's earlier work, but this is not one of the good ones. It seems like a combination rip-off of 28 Days Later, I Am Legend, and Blade. As usual, Seagal saves the day, but even Steven Seagal can't save this movie.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I finally got around to watching The Mist...looked like the cast from The Walking Dead and the characters weren't much different either with "Andrea" having the only gun,"Dale" telling people what to do and "Sophia's mom" leaving her kid unprotected again...LOL!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The black swan, very good! Also, Ted and Ed VS Evil (something like that), was extremely good! As funny as Shawn of the dead.
Love the line "God, I knew me asking a girl out would turn out into murder!".

·
Registered
320 Posts
THE DEVILS' SON-IN-LAW (1977) Rudy Ray Moore used to make those 'under-the-counter records' that Richard Pryor and Red Foxx also started with. Then he got into film making. This one features him as Petey Wheatstraw, a guy who agrees to marry the devil's ugly daughter in return for supernatural powers. The devil's demons have those Halloween plastic horns you always see glued to their head, wear capes and have what looks like Jane Fonda workout costumes on. This sort of reminded me of AT MIDNIGHT I WILL TAKE YOUR SOUL because both guys start off talking to the camera, wear stupid hats, and talk about producing evil spawn. This was more enjoyable..nobody is as mean to the women as Coffin Joe was in his flick... but is only nominally a horror flick, mostly it deals with the day to day workings of being a stand up comic.

At the same time, however...

DISCO GODFATHER (1979) follows Rudy Ray Moore around as he cleans up the neighbourhood from PCP ("The newest psychedelic drug of the 70's") He runs a disco, wears disturbing body-tight jumpsuits with lots of chains, and has even stupider hats then the previous movie. During the hallucination scenes, you get a witch chopping off a guys hands, and skulls with electric lights in the eyes...They even act out that old urban legend about the gal so zonked she puts the turkey to bed and cooks the baby!! Moore as he runs the turntables for the disco tends to yell out;"Put your weight on it, put your weight on it, put your weight on it" a lot. I don't know why.
If you could put both films together you would have a pretty neat blacksploitation answer to Ed Wood or Jerry Warren.

Both are so low budget you have to love them. They both feature obvious doubles in the kung fu scenes (how can you have a blacksploitation flick from the 70's without kung fu?) And fashions on the cast that will just gross you out...but TRUST me, people really DID wear this kind of dumb stuff to discos back then..

Both of these were found at a local truck stop for sale.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The black swan, very good! Also, Ted and Ed VS Evil (something like that), was extremely good! As funny as Shawn of the dead.
Love the line "God, I knew me asking a girl out would turn out into murder!".
You mean Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil? One that you all should see is eXistenZ. It's like The Matrix or Tron gone horror.

1501 - 1520 of 3770 Posts