Halloween Forum banner

3781 - 3795 of 3795 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
We watched The Lighthouse with Robert Pattison and William Defoe.
It recieved great reviews.... Good acting, loved that it was filmed in black and white but I feel like it was 2hrs of my life I'll never get back.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
Not really horror but I'll stick it here anyway, the new animated Addams Family. Much better than I'd expected but didn't dig Charlize Theron doing Morticia's voice. The rest of the voice cast was good though I'm not sure why they stunt cast Snoop Dog as Cousin Itt when you can't understand anything Itt says.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
Mario Bava's "Blood & Black Lace."

He's an originator of the "giallo" genre & a must-see director. You can see his influence on a lot of today's directors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I watched an old but classic horror movie.. Phantasm, has anyone else watched that movie. I realize it's old and the effects are nothing what we have now, but Phantasm has been one of my favorites from that time period.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
That whole Phantasm series is one of my favourites. I remember seeing the trailer as a kid & being terrified of The Tall Man & the one scene where the hands come out from the under the bed & grab Jody. I still have nightmares about that stuff.

That series is one of the few horror series that has kept the same cast (for the most part) & director through all the sequels.

Got to meet Angus Scrimm & Don Coscarelli at a horror con & they were the nicests guys. I think both would've talked all day if there hadn't been a line for signing stuff.

Honestly, I love pretty much everything Coscarelli has done.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
Had "The Lighthouse" on last nite while reading so I was sorta watching it.

I'm pretty sure that the look Willem Dafoe had in that was one he'd been working on all his life. Pattinson is a good actor but WTF was that accent he was trying to do?

Overall, it's worth it to see Dafoe shred every scene he's in, but overall & the ending was meh.

I liked Eggers "The Witch" better.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Had "The Lighthouse" on last nite while reading so I was sorta watching it.

I'm pretty sure that the look Willem Dafoe had in that was one he'd been working on all his life. Pattinson is a good actor but WTF was that accent he was trying to do?

Overall, it's worth it to see Dafoe shred every scene he's in, but overall & the ending was meh.

I liked Eggers "The Witch" better.
Pattinson was trying to do an old Maine accent which still somewhat exists, but, imho, did it inconsistently because he is a pretty face, not a real actor like Dafoe.

See examples here:
here:
and here:

This is probably different than what people might think of as a textbook "New England" accent ("Pahk the car in Hahvahd Yahd"), or what I would call a working class Boston accent (Think Markey Mark Walberg), or even a old Brahmin accent.

This is an example of a Brahmin accent by the way for people who have no idea what I mean. It's basically what I would call an "Old Yankee" accent.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
Brahmin accent to me = Charles Emerson Winchester on M*A*S*H or William Powell in "The Thin Man" movies.

When I first heard Pattinson I thought he was doing a Southern accent which is an easier accent for a lot of Britsh actors to pull off. But sadly he wasn't Southern.

The dude can act, he's no Dafoe of course, but he's not so bad. People can't get past him being that sparkly vampire in the Twilight series. Did you see him in "The King"? He was NUTS in that.

He is going to be the new Batman so we'll either wish he'd stayed the sparkly vampire or he'll step up his game.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Brahmin accent to me = Charles Emerson Winchester on M*A*S*H or William Powell in "The Thin Man" movies.

When I first heard Pattinson I thought he was doing a Southern accent which is an easier accent for a lot of Britsh actors to pull off. But sadly he wasn't Southern.

The dude can act, he's no Dafoe of course, but he's not so bad. People can't get past him being that sparkly vampire in the Twilight series. Did you see him in "The King"? He was NUTS in that.

He is going to be the new Batman so we'll either wish he'd stayed the sparkly vampire or he'll step up his game.
I don't have Netflix, and I am definitely still hung up on his being a sparkly vampire.

Went and watched an old YouTube clip of David Ogden Spires. He did an very good Brahmin accent which fit since he was a Harvard graduate from a wealthy Boston family. I forgot about him.

The last batman movie I think I saw was the one with Michael Keaton. I gave up on that franchise a long time ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The remake of dawn of the dead. The beginning is pretty freaky when the little girl comes into the room and all he'll breaks loose. Not bad

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
The remake of dawn of the dead. The beginning is pretty freaky when the little girl comes into the room and all he'll breaks loose. Not bad
I still have nightmares about that scene & the husband waking up as a zombie next to the wife.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
Exorcist III

IMHO this is just as good in it's own way as the first one. Skip the second one all together, that one is garbage, but I will stand by E3 forever.

It's a freaking master class in acting. I don't know how George C. Scott, Jason Miller &/or Brad Dourif didn't get nominated for any awards for this one. Wait...I do know why, the Academy doesn't think horror movies are worthwhile in most shapes or forms.

There's very little gore really (which is fine by me), but it's almost as unnerving as the original.

Boy, that first monologue Dourif gives about the decapitated head & how he drained Father Dyer....wait...just watch it for yourself.

Now get thee to Amazon Prime & watch it!! Then go read Blatty's books, The Exorcist & Legion.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
Amazon has some ...uh...interesting horror movies. :D I love all the goodbad 60s/70s era movies they have.

I really want to get Shudder but we've already got Netflix, Prime, Hulu (the cheapest version) & some anime thing for my husband. I hardly have time keeping up with those & the DVRd stuff, I really don't need another streaming service.

3781 - 3795 of 3795 Posts