Halloween Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use cheap flat latex paint. I paint all the lettering and cracks black. Next I dry brush a medium dark grey. Then I use a spray bottle with white latex paint that is about 20% paint and 80% water and sray the tombstone fron the top and let it run down. Then I do the same with black latex in a spray bottle and concentrate mostly on spraying it very close and lightly where the lettering is or cracks and let that run down. It should look very transparent so the detail is subtle to give it an aged look.
Gorgeous grave stones!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get ready for a lengthy response: I did a post about this particular tombstone a while back. It's very unique in that it has a metal plate embedded in the face of the tombstone that allows magnetic lettering or objects to be applied and removed. Every year I create a new display with a new title so this marquee tombstone allows me to change the lettering to fit the theme. The letters are cut from foamboard, coated in a custom made textured base coat of exterior latex paint (for waterproofing) and then hand painted with acrylic paints. Magnets are embedded in the back of each letter to allow it to “stick” to the tombstone. It took a while to figure how to apply the textured finish to the metal plate while still allowing the magnets to work. I don’t recall the specific colors of the lettering but I believe they are both Apple Barrel acrylic paint 20589E – Harvest Orange and 20760E – Kings Gold. I painted the entire letter with the yellow and then while still wet blended the orange on top. I lined each letter up so I would know how far to paint the blending paint to achieve the effect shown. I was worried about the letters falling-off when displayed but we had a pouring thunderstorm that Halloween and everything stayed in place (see photo below).

View attachment 730190
Great idea for the lettering. Beautiful grave stone to boot.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts