Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
What tools or household utensil to you guys prefer to scrape up pink foam to get a good wood effect?
I need to make a pirate ship facade out of foam board. Im going to carve out the plank lines with a dremel, paint the entire thing black, then dry brush browns for the wood effect. But I would like to add some depth to the planks with scraping/gouging.
Any suggestions to get it done on such a large area?
Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
719 Posts
I define the planks with a dremel just like you, I use an xacto knife to cut some deep grooves like the wood is splitting, and I use a steel brush and I scrape in an arc to simulate wood grain, kind of like going around a knot, I also use the steel brush to knock off edges of the wood as if it was worn down. I then use my heat gun and let it melt the foam a little to give it depth. After that it's all paint magic. Dark brown and medium brown and light tan, all followed with a black wash.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
910 Posts
Take a look at the pics on my profile.....i did the same thing. I took Styrfoam blue/pink and used a brand new BBQ wire cleaning brush and simply "stroked" the foam in one direction lightly with the wire brush and made a wood grain pattern until i was satisfied. Once this was done, i then painted my new "boards" with natural wood colors and VOILA.....instant fake wood!.....best of luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts