Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing latex would coat a fortune so I'm looking doe alternatives to use to build a skin on a expanding foam body. So far I have a expanding foam body painted with interior house paint. There is still lots of holes and bits I want to some how smooth out. Is there any other recommendations of what to use that still has a bit of flexibility to it?

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Flexible is s problem without using latex.
I've used paper towel (thickness depends on how much of the under structure you want to cover. If you want detail to show, use thin cheap paper towel)
Get some liquid latex and a cheap brush. paint a thin layer of latex on the area you want to cover. Apply ripped paper towel (try to avoid straight edges) on the LL.
Use a spray bottel to dampen the paper towel, then another layer of LL. If the paper towel is wet/damp it will not suck in as much of the LL, leaving a outer skin of latex.
It's worked for me on many props, and I haven't gone through that much latex.

2 examples of this are below, with lots of open area to create a skin.

IMG_1786.jpg
IMG_8036.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look awesome.. How many layers/coats of (LL/PaperTowel/LL) did you use? I used the white glue and paper towel to the a base coat then used LL on the head which worked out well. I only have a 1L off LL... so didnt want to run out mid project. Its built out of expanding foam so it isnt overlyflexible.. but will move a bit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
paper towel and latex it is.... Would mixing it with paint maybe 50/50 work and help stretch it out to be able to cover the body?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! my main goal is to build a wrinkley/vainy skin over the foam (and to fill in the holes/gaps in the foam) then paint it to go with the head.

Only problem is i have 1L of latex and not sure if i could get more by halloween.. so trying to find a cheap way to make it work and get it done by this weekend.

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
This late I would take a qt of semi gloss latex paint add a little water to it put it in a spray bottle and start putting coats on it using a hair dryer you can get 8 to 10 coats in an hour or so.

Or go the carpet latex and paper towels method but you'll need some sunshine to dry it. Using a coat of cheap walmart spray paint also helps in the drying. But it makes great wrinkle leathery skin this was over chicken wire

here's greatstuff with many coats of paint

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions. How do you thin it to spray bottle it on? Just latex/paint/water?

I did the base layer by painting on a paint/latex mix over paper towel and the first layer looks real good. I should probably do another coat to make it thicker and tougher once it drys. Is it worth doing another layer of paper towel (or spray?) or just paint on more latex/paint blend

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
I think it looks good as it is so I wouldn't change what you're doing.

I use a dollar store spray bottle and just water the paint down till it sprays, it help to cut down time on odd shape things and makes it easier getting into cracks and dents. Using the water down spray is good to get a base coat (your past that) and also to get different shades on a final coat spray it on rub some off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent idea!

I will pick up a spray bottle..

I think ill do a acrylic paint/latex mix and water it down... then spray on.. it should double as a thickener to slowly thickening up the latex to add strength! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts