Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to start searching thru the yard sales to find good props for the halloween party this year. Besides the obvious, what sort of things are good to find to make props out of? What have you all bought at yard sales to use as props/builds? If you have pics, please post them too.

I just don't want to not buy something that might be great because I hadn't thought of it...

TIA
Kaye

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Well we dont have yard sales here but at second hand stores we are always on the look out for motorized things we can hack and use for props....examples would be singing reindeers, santas, christmas trees etc. Candle holders/stands, wig heads, robes, wedding dresses, fabrics, old laterns, etc.
Last great finds that I came across were an old pump organ and a bird cage.

MsM

·
Registered
183 Posts
Shiatsu massagers for one thing. I found 2 at the goodwill. 8 bucks. Not bad in my opinion. You can make zombies or groundbreakers with them (animated). I dont have a picture of mine, but they say " Shiatsu" on them, lol.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well we dont have yard sales here but at second hand stores we are always on the look out for motorized things we can hack and use for props....examples would be singing reindeers, santas, christmas trees etc. Candle holders/stands, wig heads, robes, wedding dresses, fabrics, old laterns, etc.
Last great finds that I came across were an old pump organ and a bird cage.

MsM
Motors can also come from can openers, microwaves, blenders, almost any kitchen appliance!

·
Master of my own Universe
970 Posts
I try to look for PVC pipe and fittings, flat backed cherubs and angels (to add to tombstones) candy and candle molds (for casting tombstone embellishments) Glass jars and bottles, especially if they have cork stoppers (for potion jars).

Wig heads are a great find, and as mentioned shaitsu's

Black cloth, burlap cheesecloth - can be used for all sorts of drapery

Anything gothic looking (clothing accessories eg studded chokers, bracelets)

So much more that I could add but there's some ideas to be going on

·
likes candy & razorblades
1,085 Posts
so far this year ive picked up a few old kids costumes, a bunch of embellishments for tombstones, really junky old dried floral arrangements for set dressing, baby dolls...

i am really trying to build my costume selection so ive been focusing on those.

i generally do a quick walk through of a yard sale, and then go back through adn imagine everything creepified.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,695 Posts
Depends on what sort of haunt setup you do too.

In addition to the other suggestions, I'd be looking at old suits or fancy dress for corpses, large picture frames, tacky lamps that can be creeped up, ect...

I am trying to do the inside of the house in a more Victorian/old fashioned type setup, so I look for old furniture and decor that looks similar to that style.

Just found a birdcage with floorstand for $2 that's going to have something pretty creepy inside. Got a puffer fish that's going to be placed in a bell jar as an odd display piece...

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Hey Frankie's Girl, I found one of those birdcages at a yardsale some years back and I used it for Halloween too. That's my son Shadow (yes that's his real name)dressed as Barrel from NBC. That's my victorian lady in the background.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
In my case as soon as I read about some great finds here they seem to pop up at all my local sales and I grab them up and then never do anything with them...lol!
My friends have been finding lots of halloween decorations and props so far this year. We discussed this not long ago that people tend to sell off the halloween stuff early in the year when they srping clean I guess.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've found a 3 foot silver plated tray for $3...woohoo!! will be great for appitizers...
also got lots of cheap candlesticks and holders. I also found a really cool old wooden box w/ a leather strap...it's filled with vintage fishing gear...not sure what to do with it, but I love it!

last year for my Haunted Mansion theme, I got lots of bottles and weird/odd containers for creepy stuff.

at 2nd hand stores I found a lot of old serving peices for $2-$5 for food...gives the table a very classy/creepy look...it's all tarnished and covered with carvings.

I also look for dried flowers and fake plants...they can be painted or aged and placed to fill in "dead" spots in a display (no pun intended)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Frankie's Girl, I found one of those birdcages at a yardsale some years back and I used it for Halloween too. That's my son Shadow (yes that's his real name)dressed as Barrel from NBC. That's my victorian lady in the background.
I'm really digging the head in the jar on your mantel. Is that a mask submerged in water? That would be awesome for a witches kitchen =)
Oh, and I love your son's name =)

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
I'm really digging the head in the jar on your mantel. Is that a mask submerged in water? That would be awesome for a witches kitchen =)
Oh, and I love your son's name =)
Yea it's a mask but it's not submerged in water just smashed down in the jar. It's a stupid looking mask to wear but it looked pretty good in there. About my son's name thanks :) When he was very little he didn't really like it but now that he's 17 he loves it.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,695 Posts
ooooh, I love your birdcage! My find isn't as antique looking, but once I get it painted and decked out, I figure it will fit in. :)

(like your son's name too :D )

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tell your son that he has the coolest hair EVER.

Kay, back on topic...:D

·
Registered
453 Posts
I look for everything from light fixtures, tools, to anything unusual. Been pretty weak around here though.
BTW Shadow is a great name, I named my daughter "Valkyrie" this was before the movie and before the motorcycle, we were expecting a boy, then my wife wanted to name her Brittney, I said hell no, went to lunch and played the "Gauntlet" video game where Valkyrie is a character, after dropping by the library and doing some research and printing up a few pages my wife finally gave in. The only problem is very few people can pronounce or spell it. Once she tells kids it means "chooser of the slain" they think its cool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts