Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I thought I was doing so good, but now I'm stumped!

I got my bottles Friday, and have labels too - was plannning to put water in the bottles, with some food coloring - but now I realize I need to put SOMETHING in the water!! :eek:

True, not all HAVE to have something in them, but I'd like to have something in most them. AND, I bought bottles with small openings, not even thinking in advance! :mad:

Besides the obvious, plastic options (fingers, toes, etc..) what do you guys use?

·
Registered
304 Posts
when party city or something has those little 1-2$ bags of halloween eye balls and such
u can buy some and put them in the bottles with maybe some green water or something

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah! the I have 2 bags of those plastic rings (kids are too old for them now) I can cut off the ring part and use the spiders in one bottle! Great idea!!

I will also use the tonic water - didn't know that about it!

·
Master of my own Universe
975 Posts
OK, I just posted this in another thread not noticing this one, so its repeated here :D

Last year, Dollar tree were doing packs of assorted internal organs (Heart Lungs Brain) that I will be using for The rats and bats organs.

Also Have the ones that expand in water - these will be for larger animal organs (and maybe human ones)

Also the snakes and insects that expand are also good contents

packs of plastic flies and bugs are also good contents

So what about liquid contents.

Food coloring added to water, Highlighter pens (soak them in water - these will also gow under blacklight - warning though, wear plastic gloves when working on these as hands tend to get stained and also glow !!)

For my Troll Snot, I used liquid soap that has the cleansing beads in ... can add some plain old dish washing liquid (different color) but dont mix it together - just swirl the contents. Believe me, it can look gross!

Tonic water is good if you have a blacklight.

A couple more ideas

Quaker Oats = dried skin
Hearth Ash = Ash of Witch etc
Pepper = Graveyard Dust

Herbs and Spices also make good contents

With the stores starting to put out Halloween goodies, body parts (eyes, fingers, toes, etc) make great contents also

Hopefully these ideas will get you started

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Here's some I thought of, and some I've learned from fine folks around here...

I would bottle or jar these alone, not with water.

Other ingredients-

Fur of Bat - Dryer lint
Spider's eggcases - The ends of Q-tips
Fat of the Unbaptised - Crisco
Eyes of Newt - dried lentils in clear dish soap
Legs of the Scarab - Dried grapestems painted black
Ground Heretic's Bone - Corn meal
Suicide's Shroud - shreds of stained cheesecloth
Eyeball Ichor - Apple butter

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
almond slivers: werewolf fingernails
"grow-an-animal"...any type: seamonster babies/fetuses
shrunken apple heads: gnome heads
tiny novelty skeleton: shrunken man
novelty snakes, newts, frogs, etc. (call this anything you wish)
puffed wheat: elf brains
dried chicken bones you could call this "anything" bones (any tiny monster you choose)

My article...I'm so proud (sniffle): How to Craft a Witch’s Kitchen | Halloween Alliance Scroll down for a list of more stuff to put in your bottles. (There is a bulleted list.)

Oh, and...here is my witch's kitchen from last year:

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
omg - I go to lunch, come back and LOOK at all the amazing ideas!!!

And 2 more Witches Kitchen sites for me to go look through!! :D

You guys rock - thanks so much!!!

I love this place!
Bev

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one other question - corks - I need corks of various sizes and I know I've seen them in stores before, but can't for the life of me, remember where.

I noticed some potion bottles had burlap tops with twine tying it on the bottle - a good idea if corks can't be found in the right size I guess.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I get a lot of fun looking dry goods from the bulk section of our local market. All sorts of things can be put into jars and named something awful!

Black-Eyed Peas - Dried Frog Eyes
CousCous - Spider Eggs
Rice Noodles - Tangled Webs
Gummy Worms - Lizard Tails
Rice - Sticky Lice

And then there's all types of spices you can use and label.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here are some of the ones I have used...

Instant potato flakes for dandruff.
Stringers of hot glue in olive oil for phlegm... VERY gross... lol
Pickle relish for toe jam.
Dried meat strips for 'cadaver jerky'.
Flour with some pieces of cheese cloth mixed in for mummy dust.
Green dishsoap for pond slime.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,520 Posts
brown rice with a little liquid looks like maggots :D

tapioca pearls (like used in bubble tea) come in large sizes and can be soaked in food coloring... for frog eggs, fish eggs, blind cat eyeballs (soak them in sugared mixes and drop some into drinks too... tasty and GROSS looking). :D

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
Flourescent lighter juice, of course, and tonic water.
Also bought some powder stuff from a site a couple years ago in various colors that worked well.

Plastic spiders, flies, ants, worms, snakes, sand, etc.... depends on what the potion is!

you can use burlap, cheesecloth, etc... and tie a piece of twine around it like posted above.
You can find bags of cork at Michaels or in the Walmart craft section. They probably won't fit bottles with openings much larger than a finger, though. I bet you can find all kinds of corks on ebay or just google around.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
I'd suggest spending some time in a place like DOLLAR TREE (or whatever local chain you have in your area). Look through the toy section. You'll probably find lots of great "specimen" samples for just a buck each. Go shopping with a list of labels you have to help guide you.

I also bought some nice squishy, realistic looking frogs last year in Target's toy section and they were on sale for $3-$3.50. They looked so good it was worth the price for me. Hate to spend a lot of money on things like that. Places like Party City, will have novelty bags of things like spiders, flies, worms, etc. which might fit the bill.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
one other question - corks - I need corks of various sizes and I know I've seen them in stores before, but can't for the life of me, remember where.

I noticed some potion bottles had burlap tops with twine tying it on the bottle - a good idea if corks can't be found in the right size I guess.
I ordered a bunch on ebay last year.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Someone mentioned herbs and spices and I thought why not see what's out in the garden? Grab up any flower seed pods or petals and let them dry out and it won't cost a thing. Right now I am even finding lots of those dried brown shells/skins from cicadas all over the place...a bottle of those would be gross!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I know michaels sells corks in various sizes, I bought rubber stoppers from ebay instead since I was using them for bottles with hilighter water.

Another place to shop for gross things to put in your potion bottles is the fishing lure aisle! I got some great looking worms and things from there!

You can tint the water with any of those grow in water animals too.

I made a head in a jar for one of mine last year and it was great!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts