Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare light fixture ( a lamp) that I kind of still dig, but my wife doesnt like it and she wins. Im going to use it of course for something in my yard haunt. Anyone got any ideas? I am not using the lamp part btw, just the light bulb fixture part and the cord of course.

My first idea was a 'pumpkin rot' type pumpkin scarecrow. My question is: If I make a paper mache pumpkin (a big one) is it fairly safe to have a light bulb inside of it? Anyone do something like this? I would put a red or maybe black light bulb in there to give it a creepy glow.

Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Put a bulb in that light socket and turn it on.....let it sit on for about 20 minutes...then reach for the bulb...when you can really feel the heat...that's the distance you need to have between the lightbulb and the mache....if you can touch the light bulb without saying OUCH!!! or some other four letter word, then you have nothing to worry about...

·
Registered
16 Posts
so you dig it

so you dig the light socket part of the lamp what are you going to do with the rest of it that might lead you down a more interesting path

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you use one of the flouresant type light blubs you'll be safer they don't get very hot.Look for the outdoor type wet will pop the bulb.As far as a prop you could do anything lighting in a yard haunt is never wrong.as far as tearing a lamp apart for a cord a lamp socket I would donate the lamp or yard sale it or if it's really funky ebay. And just buy a lamp socket kit about 5.00-10.00 dollars lowe's,HD,walmart.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks for the info. Its really a simple light fixture, a triangle shaped stained glass looking lamp with a light at the base. It comes off easy enough so Ill just donate the rest to goodwill. Ill try the fluorescent light since its cooler. Now I just need to figure out how to make a big pumpkin head and a body of some sort.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
You might also try using a colored flourescent bulb. They're really great and they don't give off nearly as much heat. You can put a colored fourescent into a much smaller space and not worry about it at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts